• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,958 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2022 at 2:36 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I just find it odd.  As you’ve said, you own all these hot books already and bought them at cover price,etc. 

I could see your displeasure with the current market if you needed these books....but you don’t.   ???

Definitely don't own them all and most definitely not all at cover price, as I started far too late (i.e. towards the latter part of the 70's). :frown:

As a result, only own some of them, with the early and mid-70's issues in HG condition brought at multiples to cover price.  (thumbsu  :takeit:

I guess I would pretty much say that I am kind of caught between a pillow and a soft place when it comes to these kinds of books.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/16/2022 at 6:58 PM, dikran said:

I’m all for steady yearly growth like in the coin market, but we need new readers who turn into collectors who turn into investors in the future and if kids today are buying books at 4$ cover prices with no hope any of them will be collectible in the future, what’s the point?

To be fair, there are still dollar bins at most shops.  I grew up in the mean streets of the quarter bins and....  hmm you might have a point. 

As has been mentioned in this thread, I also find it, I'll write, interesting the prices that some dealers (perhaps consigners) currently ask for many CGC graded Bronze and Copper ages comic books when I have seen some (leaning toward many) sell at auction for half or almost half of those asking prices. Granted, they are "asking prices" and, perhaps, the dealers (consigners) have sold/will sell them for less, possibly much less.

Of course, I may just be cheap/don't need the comic book/can't afford the comic book/ etc.,/etc.

On 11/17/2022 at 7:01 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

As has been mentioned in this thread, I also find it, I'll write, interesting the prices that some dealers (perhaps consigners) currently ask for many CGC graded Bronze and Copper ages comic books when I have seen some (leaning toward many) sell at auction for half or almost half of those asking prices. Granted, they are "asking prices" and, perhaps, the dealers (consigners) have sold/will sell them for less, possibly much less.

Of course, I may just be cheap/don't need the comic book/can't afford the comic book/ etc.,/etc.

I’ve been (mostly) buying and selling on eBay since 1998.  The past three years have been very good for selling but the tables turned in August. I had about 96 slabs remaining for sale on eBay all at fixed prices that I recently pulled down. My 1099 for this year is high enough and the inventory was stale and overpriced. Come the new year I will relist with a bunch of newly graded beauties. Fresh and overpriced!

On 11/17/2022 at 7:21 AM, ThothAmon said:

I’ve been (mostly) buying and selling on eBay since 1998.  The past three years have been very good for selling but the tables turned in August. I had about 96 slabs remaining for sale on eBay all at fixed prices that I recently pulled down. My 1099 for this year is high enough and the inventory was stale and overpriced. Come the new year I will relist with a bunch of newly graded beauties. Fresh and overpriced!

Yes, I understand why dealers, etc, ask above and beyond prices since, basically, we all want to pay low/sell high. As I wrote, I may just be cheap on purchasing comic books/don't need the comic book/can't afford the comic book/ etc.,/etc.

If a dealer bought inventory in the last couple years even at 30-40% of 2020-1 “FMV”, he’s probably underwater right now in terms of current auction prices on those books. As many dealers have told me, you can pay me a little more right now or go battle it out with 50 other people on the auction sites and hope you win. 

On 11/17/2022 at 7:38 AM, dikran said:

If a dealer bought inventory in the last couple years even at 30-40% of 2020-1 “FMV”, he’s probably underwater right now in terms of current auction prices on those books. As many dealers have told me, you can pay me a little more right now or go battle it out with 50 other people on the auction sites and hope you win. 

Yes, win, lose, but never draw.

The Bethlehem AS#1 9.0 sold for $120K at Heritage. Last 9.0 sold for almost $200K in September.  9.2s sold for $150K in 2021 and $168K in June 2022.  Bethlehem copy last sold for $66K in 2019, so a big jump from that, but I would have expected much more considering the premium pedigree books seem to be getting recently.

On 11/17/2022 at 1:51 PM, mjoeyoung said:

What would you say is "not nice" about it?  So is this the floor or ceiling for a 9.8?  Far cry from the $138K the last one sold for on Heritage.

slight miscut and the dreaded large white strip along the spine...I don't mind it too much but some collectors....:tonofbricks:

On 11/17/2022 at 1:36 PM, buttock said:

SA prices in general on Heritage looked more in line with reality. 

I would say the prices are low for "Heritage Reality," but still seem out of whack for actual reality.  AS#15 9.0 sold for $9300.  Previous sales this year (all HA) $15K, $11K, and $12.6K.  After the Sony Kraven movie bombs this book is headed for a precipitous drop.

On 11/17/2022 at 2:05 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I would say the prices are low for "Heritage Reality," but still seem out of whack for actual reality.  AS#15 9.0 sold for $9300.  Previous sales this year (all HA) $15K, $11K, and $12.6K.  After the Sony Kraven movie bombs this book is headed for a precipitous drop.

I'm so glad I sold my SA when I did.  For once I timed things right.  

Blue Bolt #105 7.5 sold for $14.4K, previous sale in grade was  $15.6K in June 2021 (both at Heritage). Fighting Yank #23 sold for $8400, same book sold for $8400 in April 2021 (both at Heritage).

Chamber of Chills #19 8.0 sold for $37K, same book sold for $24K in Nov 2021 (both at Heritage).  Chamber of Chills #23 9.0 sold for $27.6, last sale $22.8K in June 2021 (both at Heritage).

Mask Comics #1 3.0 sold for $13.8K, last sale $9.6K in June 2021, 4.0 sold in March 2022 for $11.4K.  Mask Comic #2 4.0 sold for $12K, last 2 sold for over $14K.

Seems like a mixed bag.

Edited by mjoeyoung

Bone #1 9.8 sold for $12K, last sale for $13K in November 2020 (both at Heritage).

Fantastic Four #1 6.5 for $45.6K, last sale for $50.6K in Sept, but 3 sales this year above $78K.

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #106 9.8 sold for $24K, last sale $57.5K in Nov 2021. OUCH.

TMNT #1 9.2 sold for $28.8K, last sale $36K in October.  Last 3 sales were over $32K. February sale for $27K.

X-Men #1 8.0 sold for $54K, last sale in August for $66K, but the previous sales were $95K, $72K, $102K, $90K, and $90K. In 2020/19  this book sold for an average of about $25K.

Edited by mjoeyoung