• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,166 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2023 at 8:45 AM, DC# said:

Apologies for being the person that is always posting outliers here…..but this one also stood out as I am in the market for this book.   Spider-Man #62 in 9.8 - just sold last week on Comic Connect for $2.3k.  The book has been selling in the mid to high 2ks for almost three years with all time peak of $4k back in 2009.    Three sales this year all under $2.7k excluding the CC sale.    And then last night on ComicLink a copy with no particular special qualities (white pages, nice wrap, etc just like CC copy) sold for a hair-raising (pun intended) $5.3k.   I will admit to having just gotten sick of waiting and being outbid a few times that I willingly overpaid just to end the pursuit on a book.    But paying 125-30% more on a $2k book is really aggressive.   Can’t believe two parties kept it going that long.   And the worst part of overpaying on Clink is your overpay won’t even bump up the average on GPA which means the next few sales could always increase the spread. 

IMG_3612.thumb.jpeg.82f112da188882c2a8b7d0f2297d9b10.jpeg

IMG_3611.thumb.jpeg.fe4f5aec53a1d7b6733a181e45f963ea.jpeg

IMG_3609.thumb.jpeg.9a946d6236854c76870a35f5fc7830f5.jpeg

Are you saying that you engaged in a back-and-forth on ComicLink?  With ComicConnect (and Heritage) you have no choice, but with ComicLink you have the option of waiting until the end and (hopefully) not paying nearly as much.  Yes of course you have the risk of losing out, but if you're concerned about overpaying it usually works to your advantage.

On 6/20/2023 at 4:17 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Are you saying that you engaged in a back-and-forth on ComicLink?  With ComicConnect (and Heritage) you have no choice, but with ComicLink you have the option of waiting until the end and (hopefully) not paying nearly as much.  Yes of course you have the risk of losing out, but if you're concerned about overpaying it usually works to your advantage.

I paused at around  $2k with several days to go planning on going back the day of and playing a bit aggressive to see if I could land it.   When I went back with over a day left it had swelled to just under $4k so I knew I was out.    I figured someone had just decided to muscle others out but never thought it would rise $1.5k from there.   

I am in Europe right now so getting up at 2A to bid on auctions has to really be worth - I knew I could just sleep through that particular book.   

On 6/20/2023 at 3:04 PM, DC# said:

I paused at around  $2k with several days to go planning on going back the day of and playing a bit aggressive to see if I could land it.   When I went back with over a day left it had swelled to just under $4k so I knew I was out.    I figured someone had just decided to muscle others out but never thought it would rise $1.5k from there.   

I am in Europe right now so getting up at 2A to bid on auctions has to really be worth - I knew I could just sleep through that particular book.   

OK, I think I wasn't following your story.  I thought you were saying that you were the winner of last night's auction at $5.3K, because you'd "gotten sick of waiting and being outbid" and wanted to check it off your list at all costs.  (And believe me, I've been there!)

Yesterday Heritage sold a Hulk 1 - CGC 4.5 for $26,400

Last year they sold a 4.5 for $38,400

Both books were off-white to white. 

The one that sold last year presented incredibly well, so I'm sure that's why the hammer price was so high. But still, that's quite a drop.

On 6/21/2023 at 8:03 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Yesterday Heritage sold a Hulk 1 - CGC 4.5 for $26,400

Last year they sold a 4.5 for $38,400

Both books were off-white to white. 

The one that sold last year presented incredibly well, so I'm sure that's why the hammer price was so high. But still, that's quite a drop.

The ease has arrived.

A few books I've been following in the last few clink auctions have softened consistently.   

Silver Surfer vol 1 has come right off the boil.   #1 is $45,600 on GPA in CGC 9.6 universal.

image.thumb.png.46403326612bdda5dffd37b4256db116.png

This has been to date in the last 36 months, a blue chip book.

On 6/20/2023 at 7:03 PM, Microchip said:

The ease has arrived.

A few books I've been following in the last few clink auctions have softened consistently.   

Silver Surfer vol 1 has come right off the boil.   #1 is $45,600 on GPA in CGC 9.6 universal.

It still is a blue-chip book!

But I think we need to look at that $45K sale (and other crazy results with no pattern to back them up) as the outliers they are.  I'm not aware of any other 9.6 sale above $31K and even that was eye-popping at the time.

On 6/20/2023 at 4:03 PM, Microchip said:

The ease has arrived.

with two days to go, the same book is already at 26k on heritage. so the lesson is sell your books there, i guess. 

also, the only sale on gpa of this book in grade in 2020 was for 13k, which was a record high. so if we're assuming 2021 was an outlier due to pandemic, this book is still doing quite well, as are most keys. 

On 6/14/2023 at 11:25 AM, mjoeyoung said:
On 6/14/2023 at 6:34 AM, lou_fine said:

Any bets that he's going to simply pause his valuation at $3K in his new guide due out next month, as opposed to actually dropping the valuation as that seems to be something which he absolutely abhors doing.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:

I would be surprised.  Didn't they just raise many of the valuations in the last guide?

Yes, rather shockingly and very un-Overstreet like, he raised many of them by huge double digit percentages and even some by triple digit percentages.  :whatthe:

Now that some of the formerly Covid red hot, but readily available BA and CA books are selling at 50% of guide, not sure if he'll drop them in his guide.  I guess we'll just have to wait until next month to see what he does with some of those books. :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Not a problem YET with the GA books that he jacked up by double and triple digit percentages because as far as I can tell, they are still selling far above their iguide valuations even after their large percentage increases.  (thumbsu

On 6/21/2023 at 1:41 PM, alexgross.com said:
On 6/21/2023 at 9:03 AM, Microchip said:

The ease has arrived.

Expand  

with two days to go, the same book is already at 26k on heritage. so the lesson is sell your books there, i guess. 

also, the only sale on gpa of this book in grade in 2020 was for 13k, which was a record high. so if we're assuming 2021 was an outlier due to pandemic, this book is still doing quite well, as are most keys. 

I honestly thought the $20k result was very fortunate for the buyer, we'll not see that price point readily again.   

The top places to sell, HA, the Clink, then Cominconnect by the latest results.  

On 6/20/2023 at 6:17 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

It still is a blue-chip book!

But I think we need to look at that $45K sale (and other crazy results with no pattern to back them up) as the outliers they are.  I'm not aware of any other 9.6 sale above $31K and even that was eye-popping at the time.

So, are you saying the day of 6-figures for Silver Surfer 1 and $90K for Silver Surfer 4 are over and done with for good for the speculators, or simply pushed further down the line for collectors who don't mind waiting at all?  hm  

On 6/20/2023 at 10:55 PM, Microchip said:

The top places to sell, HA, the Clink, then Cominconnect by the latest results.  

From my own personal POV like I've always said, it's never ever really a case of one size fits all, especially after factoring in the fees.  hm

Each one of the auction houses have their own specialized client base which targets certain books, and often times, it's also a matter of timing and luck in terms of just having the right eyeballs on an auction at the right time.  (thumbsu  :wishluck:

On 6/21/2023 at 10:31 AM, Robot Man said:

It is only one tool available to determine pricing. Experience is the best one.

Back in the day, the Guide was simply a benchmark by which good material was multiplied times two. It was more useful for wholesale buying rather than selling. I miss the cheaper days when collecting was just for fun. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/22/2023 at 2:59 AM, lou_fine said:

Each one of the auction houses have their own specialized client base which targets certain books, and often times, it's also a matter of timing and luck in terms of just having the right eyeballs on an auction at the right time.  (thumbsu  :wishluck:

Agreed, there's great buying, and selling opportunities if you know which auction houses perform well on certain books, or not. 

On 6/22/2023 at 2:18 AM, lou_fine said:

So, are you saying the day of 6-figures for Silver Surfer 1 and $90K for Silver Surfer 4 are over and done with for good for the speculators, or simply pushed further down the line for collectors who don't mind waiting at all?  hm  

That would be a new ceiling price for that book.   Everyone is going to be comfortable bidding under that price, simply because they know they're paying less than the 90k, and they're not breaking new ground.

SS #1, the GPA of $46k is still valid.   This $20k sale doesn't erode it, it just looks like a steal.   Already another 9.6 copy at HA is on its way back up, far closer to $46k, than the $20k result.

On 6/21/2023 at 11:30 AM, jimjum12 said:

Back in the day, the Guide was simply a benchmark by which good material was multiplied times two. It was more useful for wholesale buying rather than selling. I miss the cheaper days when collecting was just for fun. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I still deal with a local guy in his 80s I met him at a flea market many years ago. He doesn’t use computers or own a cell phone. He doesn’t go to shows. The guide is his Bible. He will only trade and sells nothing. He has bought off the racks from maybe the mid ‘40’s up until the mid ‘70’s. Amazing books! He even has an Action 1 he bought in a used book store.

He prefers quantity over quality. Condition doesn’t matter. He just wants books. 

It’s kind of funny as he always wants a little “edge” guide wise on our trades. I am always more than happy to give it to him. Weird but a fun guy.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:10 AM, Robot Man said:

I still deal with a local guy in his 80s I met him at a flea market many years ago. He doesn’t use computers or own a cell phone. He doesn’t go to shows. The guide is his Bible. He will only trade and sells nothing. He has bought off the racks from maybe the mid ‘40’s up until the mid ‘70’s. Amazing books! He even has an Action 1 he bought in a used book store.

He prefers quantity over quality. Condition doesn’t matter. He just wants books. 

It’s kind of funny as he always wants a little “edge” guide wise on our trades. I am always more than happy to give it to him. Weird but a fun guy.

On 6/21/2023 at 8:10 PM, Robot Man said:

Please introduce?? He sounds like the perfect source!!!

On 6/21/2023 at 4:44 PM, Microchip said:
On 6/21/2023 at 9:18 AM, lou_fine said:

That would be a new ceiling price for that book.   Everyone is going to be comfortable bidding under that price, simply because they know they're paying less than the 90k, and they're not breaking new ground.

Those prices that I was referring to in terms of the 6-figures SS 1 and the $90K SS4 were of course for CGC 9.8 graded copies, not CGC 9.6. (thumbsu