• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2023 at 8:45 PM, Telegan said:

In a video interview I posted earlier of a comic dealer, he said that a lot of people that are selling what they own in comics aren't elderly people getting rid of comics as they've gotten older, but rather younger people just trying to get out of their comics.  I don't know if that's generally the case across most dealers, but I found that intriguing.  If that's the case, I doubt any of them were collecting some of the stuff you mentioned like antique cigar boxes or even paperbacks, but who knows.  I bought my first pulp recently just to buy one and check it out since I had never bought a pulp before.  Lord, that was a crunchy book. lol.

Yeah, I worry about that more than old people selling them off. April 2022 my office opened up after 2+ years of work at home. One of the guys who had just been hired, 30-32 was a budding comic collector. At his salary I was a bit surprised as he just had a kid and were living in NYC. Thing is, he had never read comics, wasn't interested in the characters, just went by covers and was looking for an investment. Some of those people learn to love the medium and the hobby, but I think a lot are in and out once the market goes down or whatever and the comics they paid $100 for they told their wife was worth $200 is now worth $50. Like the job (which he quit after about 60 days..incredible), I doubt he is still into comics. Of course, do I read my comics nowadays? Rarely. Frankly, the Marvel and DC plot lines are too confusing. I was able to read self contained stuff like Goon and Chew. But I did grow up reading them a lot, read the new ones at least when I got back into comics in 1993, watch the movies/shows/cartoons and read a lot of marvel wiki. So here I am 30 years later after I got back into comics in 1993 after about  a 7 year break for high school and college.

Edited by the blob

On 9/10/2023 at 8:02 PM, namisgr said:

Heh, that's easy.  I AM old.  :wink:  I grew up with toys from the 1950s and '60s.  Wonder what our 1959 model Stanley Cup Hockey table game (Montreal versus Toronto) with the battery operated red goal lights and the original box goes for?

Yes, while I do not collect toys, I would like to know.  

On 9/11/2023 at 10:23 AM, ThothAmon said:

No ease on what I’d hoped to win in yesterday’s HA. Tapped out on all three before final hammer. Tec is a 3.0 from the other guys. 

IMG_9490.jpeg

IMG_9491.jpeg

One more bid on 27 and it would have been yours. I was surprised on the prices myself.

IMG_3160.png

On 9/10/2023 at 5:45 PM, Telegan said:

In a video interview I posted earlier of a comic dealer, he said that a lot of people that are selling what they own in comics aren't elderly people getting rid of comics as they've gotten older, but rather younger people just trying to get out of their comics.  I don't know if that's generally the case across most dealers, but I found that intriguing.  If that's the case, I doubt any of them were collecting some of the stuff you mentioned like antique cigar boxes or even paperbacks, but who knows.  I bought my first pulp recently just to buy one and check it out since I had never bought a pulp before.  Lord, that was a crunchy book. lol.

That’s a really tough thing to gauge based on age alone. Not everyone who grows old sells off before they kick the bucket. Often times the books are inherited by some younger person who doesn’t care about comics and never has and sells them off - and frequently they sell to a local dealer because they don’t know enough about comics to actually sell on their own. In these cases the person selling is young but it really isn’t any different than the old original owner selling before they died. Unless you’re really interrogating the seller on how they came about these books and when they got into comics you can’t really go off age alone. 

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February          1.94% decrease
February to March             4.25% increase
March to April                     0.82% increase
April to May                        2.53% decrease
May to June                       2.08% decrease
June to July                       4.19% increase
July to August                    1.63% increase
August to September         1.67% decrease

The Comic Market is wide and varied. Segments and sub-segments of which at any given time can be hot, cold or any variation within.  In addition outliers have and will always exist. The same with exceptions.

Over are the days when nearly every book regardless of the segment of the hobby is warm or hot.  It may happen again of course, but its likley 2-3 decades away.

What does surprise me is how many even in this thread write about the Comic Market using blanket statements as if segments do not exist.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/11/2023 at 11:23 AM, ThothAmon said:

No ease on what I’d hoped to win in yesterday’s HA. Tapped out on all three before final hammer. Tec is a 3.0 from the other guys. 

IMG_9491.jpeg

Vintage double entendre covers will always have a market!

Edited by MAR1979

I think those sorts of books while maybe they got aided by bidding/shopping boredom during the pandemic (heck I decided at one point to chase 40/50s archies, though generally not at that price point), they were not really part of the hot book/key books/movie/tv hype type buying that climaxed during the pandemic. Frankly I am dubious that the Riverdale show really had any impact, maybe Sabrina did on the Sabrina books a little, folks buying those old Archies had probably been collecting a while or had some emotional connection to it

On 9/10/2023 at 7:02 PM, namisgr said:

Heh, that's easy.  I AM old.  :wink:  I grew up with toys from the 1950s and '60s.  Wonder what our 1959 model Stanley Cup Hockey table game (Montreal versus Toronto) with the battery operated red goal lights and the original box goes for?

If it is Habs vs Leafs then likely still quite a bit as blind Habs and Leafs fans will overpay for anything. That is why I was hoping that the Habs would somehow win the draft lottery this year. Bedard RCs would be $500+ out of the gate.

Edited by kimik

Looks like the Silver Surfer 4, at least in highest graded CGC 9.4 condition is still holding relative to the super hot 2021 Covid time:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-silver-surfer-4-marvel-1969-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7341-91037.s?lotPosition=1&ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, The Silver Surfer #4 (Marvel, 1969) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Holding steady at $66K in Heritage's Signature Auction yesterday which in line with the $67K that CL sold their copy for in the summer of '21, but still nowhere near to the $90K for the CGC 9.8 Oregon Coast copy also in that same summer.  

On 9/15/2023 at 4:04 AM, lou_fine said:

Looks like the Silver Surfer 4, at least in highest graded CGC 9.4 condition is still holding relative to the super hot 2021 Covid time:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-silver-surfer-4-marvel-1969-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7341-91037.s?lotPosition=1&ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, The Silver Surfer #4 (Marvel, 1969) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Holding steady at $66K in Heritage's Signature Auction yesterday which in line with the $67K that CL sold their copy for in the summer of '21, but still nowhere near to the $90K for the CGC 9.8 Oregon Coast copy also in that same summer.  

As Roy recently stated, the Uber high grade books are still holding their value and if anything still going up since the big bucks guys are now concentrating on the cream of the crop and there isn’t much of that stuff.  As money (or stocks) concentrate into a few 1% books then the rest of the market will probably continue to recede.

On 9/15/2023 at 4:04 AM, lou_fine said:

Pages are not White, from what I've seen most here would have no interest in crappy OW/W. To some (not me) WP's take precedence over seemingly all else.  Which makes perfect sense in slabbed book where the difference between OW/W and W is highly apparent :whistle: and at least in a few cases can bump up if the book is sent for a sig then re-graded. @Jordysnordy knows!

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/14/2023 at 8:33 PM, the blob said:

I think those sorts of books while maybe they got aided by bidding/shopping boredom during the pandemic (heck I decided at one point to chase 40/50s archies, though generally not at that price point), they were not really part of the hot book/key books/movie/tv hype type buying that climaxed during the pandemic. Frankly I am dubious that the Riverdale show really had any impact, maybe Sabrina did on the Sabrina books a little, folks buying those old Archies had probably been collecting a while or had some emotional connection to it

Seems like for the longest time, Archie and Romance books were deemed “girl” books and were about as desirable as Classics Ill, run of the mill humor and westerns. Other than the very early Archie ones, pretty cheap and easy to get. I think the upswing in desirability was not due to tv shows or movies but due to people discovering how fun many were and very underpriced. 10 and 12 cent issues fly out of my shoe boxes briskly at shows at decent prices. I often re price them up a bit due to the fact that they have pretty much dried up out “in the wild” and get very little push back.