• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,351 posts in this topic

Based on board history, as concerns CGC's page color designation, OW-WP have often enough gone to WP and vice-versa upon CPR or straight re-submission. Of course, it may occur that the white pages of a comic book become off-white to white, perhaps ow, while in the slab. In sum, CGC's page color designation is, I'll write, not scientific.

On 9/22/2023 at 1:17 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Based on board history, as concerns CGC's page color designation, OW-WP have often enough gone to WP and vice-versa upon CPR or straight re-submission. Of course, it may occur that the white pages of a comic book become off-white to white, perhaps ow, while in the slab. In sum, CGC's page color designation is, I'll write, not scientific.

While true, it's also now widely recognized that numerical grades change often as well, sometimes more than a single grading unit, and also sometimes as straight resubs without any pressing.  Heck, on rare occasion we've seen books change their label color as well, or rise two structural grading units without any pressing being done.

So while I get the sentiment that paying extra for a white page designation over an off-white to white or the latter over an off-white one is undermined by the inconsistency inherent to page quality assessment, I think that sentiment would rightly apply in spades to paying extra, especially a lot extra, for a book designated one grading unit above another of otherwise equivalent eye appeal.

As a long-time seeker of white paged comics and someone willing to pay a little more for them, I'll add that it's possible to gain confidence in the white page designation for a particular book if it's part of a run of books from the same collection that uniformly received white page assessments as well.  An example for Bronze Age collectors would be the Suscha News pedigree books, as something like 90-95% of them that were slabbed and brought to market were assigned white pages.  I've also bought a handful of raw books from the pedigree, and with those having pages that are unequivocally white and looking virtually brand new, it instills even more confidence that CGC's page quality designations are appropriate for the collection.

Edited by namisgr

On 9/22/2023 at 6:49 AM, namisgr said:

While true, it's also now widely recognized that numerical grades change often as well, sometimes more than a single grading unit, and also sometimes as straight resubs without any pressing.  Heck, on rare occasion we've seen books change their label color as well.

So while I get the sentiment that paying extra for a white page designation over an off-white to white or the latter over an off-white one is undermined by the inconsistency inherent to page quality assessment, I think that sentiment would rightly apply in spades to paying extra, especially a lot extra, for a book designated one grading unit above another of otherwise equivalent eye appeal.

As a long-time seeker of white paged comics and someone willing to pay a little more for them, I'll add that it's possible to gain confidence in the white page designation for a particular book if it's part of a run of books from the same collection that uniformly received white page assessments as well.  An example for Bronze Age collectors would be the Suscha News pedigree books, as something like 90-95% of them that were slabbed and brought to market were assigned white pages.  I've also bought a handful of raw books from the pedigree, and with those having pages that are unequivocally white and looking virtually brand new, it instills even more confidence that CGC's page quality designations are appropriate for the collection.

Yes, grades have also, I'll write, changed.

I also own some Suscha News copies, slabbed and raw as well, and they do have very nice white pages as do comic books from other pedigrees; for the latter, at least the ones I was fortunate to purchase. Unfortunately, I imagine that some SN copies, for example, are being stored in less than ideal conditions and that may, over time (How long? I don't know.), cause pages to turn off-white.

I'll note as a joke, that I vaguely recall someone posting many years ago that they or they were aware of someone that kept a slabbed comic book in the trunk of a car and that due to the temperature in the trunk from the car sitting in the hot summer sun the, I believe, once white pages of the comic book turned off-white or was it light-brown. I think that it was a modern comic book but I don't recall if it was a relatively expensive one.

On 9/22/2023 at 1:17 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

In sum, CGC's page color designation is, I'll write, not scientific.

On 9/22/2023 at 7:15 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Yes, grades have also, I'll write, changed.

Hey, are you one of those people who doesn't want to type "I'll say" on a discussion forum because you're not literally saying the words aloud?

So for example, if I were to say that I'm eating a ham sandwich as we speak, would you give me a double demerit and send me back to internet school?

On 9/22/2023 at 11:31 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hey, are you one of those people who doesn't want to type "I'll say" on a discussion forum because you're not literally saying the words aloud?

So for example, if I were to say that I'm eating a ham sandwich as we speak, would you give me a double demerit and send me back to internet school?

If you were to say I'm drinking a glass of water as we speak then I'd assume you were a ventriloquist. :banana:

TOMB OF DRACULA #25, CGC 9.8 NM/MT - THE AUCTION HAS ENDED

1974, 1st Appearance of Hannibal King

Current Bid: $777
Number Of Bids: 24 history.gif

Add to WantList  [Sell One Of These]

00243671698000114251945019_TH.jpg

Current Bid: $927
Number Of Bids: 34 history.gif

00243672398000114249083008_TH.jpg

OMB OF DRACULA #25, CGC 9.8 NM/MT - THE AUCTION HAS ENDED

Current Bid: $1,025
Number Of Bids: 31 history.gif

00243672398000114193474022_TH.jpg

Make of this what you will, only interested because mine is the last one and I was concerned that there was 3 in consecutive auctions. It just goes to show you can never tell what is going to happen on any given day. 

On 9/21/2023 at 11:31 AM, Black_Adam said:

You get the MCS grading discount and I think they charge a handling fee of $5 per comic.

I don't believe any of the Big 3 regular comic book auction houses charge any kind of handling fee at all to send your books in grading.  (thumbsu

On 9/24/2023 at 2:19 AM, Microchip said:

I'm surprised by those results across the board.  That book is on the up, they look like very tame results compared to a year ago, and it's still a key.

I didn't realize TOD 25's were so accessibly priced in 9.8. To me that's a serious key ... didn't Kris Kristofferson play Hannibal, and quite competently as I recall ...  GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/23/2023 at 1:47 PM, batmiesta said:

Current Bid: $777
Number Of Bids: 24 history.gif

00243671698000114251945019_TH.jpg

Current Bid: $927
Number Of Bids: 34 history.gif

00243672398000114249083008_TH.jpg

OMB OF DRACULA #25, CGC 9.8 NM/MT - THE AUCTION HAS ENDED

Current Bid: $1,025
Number Of Bids: 31 history.gif

00243672398000114193474022_TH.jpg

Make of this what you will, only interested because mine is the last one and I was concerned that there was 3 in consecutive auctions. It just goes to show you can never tell what is going to happen on any given day. 

So based on these results, apparently “white pages” (which really can’t be appreciated in the slab) trumps super-fugly cover wrap (which can plainly be seen). 

I guess if you’re looking for a deal off-white to white is where you start. 

On 9/22/2023 at 2:31 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'll write, indeed.

Well, as another boardie had posted this book earlier, I guess this is proof positive that not all books are taking a turn southwards post-Covid:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/silver-streak-comics-14-lev-gleason-1941-condition-apparent-gd/a/122339-17331.s?ic16=ViewItem-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-OtherAvailable-081514

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Silver Streak Comics #14 (Lev Gleason, 1941) Condition: Apparent GD....

Definitely saying something when a low grade RAW RESTORED copy of a book can sell for $4,560 or some 17X times its unrestored Universal condition guide value and also more than triple the $1,440 that it had sold for during the crypto hyper accelerated marketplace of 2021.  :whatthe:

On 9/26/2023 at 7:59 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

I'm baffled by this one. Last month a 6.5 OW/W sold for $28,800. 

That big of a price drop for C/OW pages? Back to low-end 2020 prices?

Or someone chose the weirdest time to sell a key book and someone else got a bargain?

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.51.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.53.00 PM.png

Was it a 0 feedback seller? Or spam? An example of someone doing the same in spoiler

Spoiler

Not to give a anecdote, but trying as an example, some person has done that kind of thing with Nintendo Power #1 in cgc 9.4.... strange, as it is always the same pic of the 9,4 and etc in each listing, it went from $20,000 plus down to 1000$ after like 9 times