• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,172 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2023 at 2:04 AM, lou_fine said:

Looks like the Silver Surfer 4, at least in highest graded CGC 9.4 condition is still holding relative to the super hot 2021 Covid time:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-silver-surfer-4-marvel-1969-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7341-91037.s?lotPosition=1&ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, The Silver Surfer #4 (Marvel, 1969) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Holding steady at $66K in Heritage's Signature Auction yesterday which in line with the $67K that CL sold their copy for in the summer of '21, but still nowhere near to the $90K for the CGC 9.8 Oregon Coast copy also in that same summer.  

That is still quite a decent number for a non-key book. It is also not that difficult to find in 9.8 IMHO - back in the early days of CGC my old former selling partner and I hit two 9.8s from OO collections without pressing/cleaning. We sold the first 9.8 copy on eBay and were ecstatic to get $3900 or so for it (pre-GPA records). lol 

On 9/15/2023 at 10:27 AM, Jordysnordy said:

Haha good memory!

This book was Off White-White and somehow Doug's signature turned the pages White lol

Godzilla 24 CGC.jpg

godzilla 24.jpg

The cojones to send that 9.8 for a signing to retain 9.8!  :whatthe:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/15/2023 at 11:03 AM, Robot Man said:

Seems like for the longest time, Archie and Romance books were deemed “girl” books and were about as desirable as Classics Ill, run of the mill humor and westerns. Other than the very early Archie ones, pretty cheap and easy to get. I think the upswing in desirability was not due to tv shows or movies but due to people discovering how fun many were and very underpriced. 10 and 12 cent issues fly out of my shoe boxes briskly at shows at decent prices. I often re price them up a bit due to the fact that they have pretty much dried up out “in the wild” and get very little push back. 

I have been buying them for a long time so long as they were cheap. During the pandemic I definitely bid on some higher priced ($50-100) type archies as well as 10 cent cover price cheaper book lots and won and I bought a pretty nice stack of 10 cent cover price archies from mycomicshop, almost all under $10 each at the time.  I just like the corny covers and admittedly read them sometimes in the 70s when i had nothing else. There does seem to be a big price difference between 10 and 12 cent cover unless the 12 center is a great gag/innuendo cover. And I guess that's true for a lot of books. My friend who owned a shop loved 60s - 70s archies because he could buy them for next to nothing at shows, etc. and he would make them $2-3 in his shop (1990s) and while the comic guys didn't buy them, women who wandered into the shop would  -- either just checking out his store or with his kids, he only had a few regular female customers -- and he'd sell them out fast.  So are you selling them at more general collectible shows, not comic shows? 

Edited by the blob

On 9/15/2023 at 11:43 AM, the blob said:

I have been buying them for a long time so long as they were cheap. During the pandemic I definitely bid on some higher priced ($50-100) type archies as well as 10 cent cover price cheaper book lots and won and I bought a pretty nice stack of 10 cent cover price archies from mycomicshop, almost all under $10 each at the time.  I just like the corny covers and admittedly read them sometimes in the 70s when i had nothing else. There does seem to be a big price difference between 10 and 12 cent cover unless the 12 center is a great gag/innuendo cover. And I guess that's true for a lot of books. My friend who owned a shop loved 60s - 70s archies because he could buy them for next to nothing at shows, etc. and he would make them $2-3 in his shop (1990s) and while the comic guys didn't buy them, women who wandered into the shop would  -- either just checking out his store or with his kids, he only had a few regular female customers -- and he'd sell them out fast.  So are you selling them at more general collectible shows, not comic shows? 

during the first years of this century I picked up a bunch of late 70's - mid 80's Archie covers - all by Dan DeCarlo.  One of those rare instances where the book's in 9.8 might exceeded the one of a kind original cover art.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/15/2023 at 12:35 PM, MAR1979 said:

during the first years of this century I picked up a bunch of late 70's - mid 80's Archie covers - all by Dan DeCarlo.  One of those rare instances where the book's in 9.8 might exceeded the one of a kind original cover art.

archie art, even decarlo, was always crazy cheap. I have bought a nice chunk of it over the years, including directly from DeCarlo on ebay. But I don't think a cover. I have like a 5 page archie tarzan spoof I believe from the book below and I am pretty sure I paid under $100 for the whole thing (this was early 2000s though). It is pretty funny and I had the idea of framing the whole thing, but then the cost of properly custom framing them dawned on me and it was like 5X as much as the art cost!  

Picture 1 of 2

On 9/14/2023 at 7:59 PM, Chamber of Chills said:

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February          1.94% decrease
February to March             4.25% increase
March to April                     0.82% increase
April to May                        2.53% decrease
May to June                       2.08% decrease
June to July                       4.19% increase
July to August                    1.63% increase
August to September         1.67% decrease

8.22% decrease.

10.26% increase.

Sounds about right. :D

On 9/15/2023 at 11:36 AM, kimik said:
On 9/15/2023 at 4:04 AM, lou_fine said:

Looks like the Silver Surfer 4, at least in highest graded CGC 9.4 condition is still holding relative to the super hot 2021 Covid time:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-silver-surfer-4-marvel-1969-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7341-91037.s?lotPosition=1&ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, The Silver Surfer #4 (Marvel, 1969) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Holding steady at $66K in Heritage's Signature Auction yesterday which in line with the $67K that CL sold their copy for in the summer of '21, but still nowhere near to the $90K for the CGC 9.8 Oregon Coast copy also in that same summer.  

Expand  

That is still quite a decent number for a non-key book. It is also not that difficult to find in 9.8 IMHO - back in the early days of CGC my old former selling partner and I hit two 9.8s from OO collections without pressing/cleaning. We sold the first 9.8 copy on eBay and were ecstatic to get $3900 or so for it (pre-GPA records). lol 

I bought a raw copy on eBay for $800 over 20 years ago. It was flawless. 

It slabbed a 9.4 because CGC said there were two "stacking creases" on the book. 

There weren't. It was print. 

So had the book "pressed" (the stacking creases were never removed - they were STILL there after the book was pressed) and the book came back a 9.8 and went for something like $8K shortly after. 

Still scratching my head on that resub 20 years later. :screwy:

On 9/15/2023 at 8:28 PM, VintageComics said:

I bought a raw copy on eBay for $800 over 20 years ago. It was flawless. 

It slabbed a 9.4 because CGC said there were two "stacking creases" on the book. 

There weren't. It was print. 

So had the book "pressed" (the stacking creases were never removed - they were STILL there after the book was pressed) and the book came back a 9.8 and went for something like $8K shortly after. 

Still scratching my head on that resub 20 years later. :screwy:

Well, I see 4 numbers there and the $800 and $8K numbers are defined and absolute and not subject to question as to what it means exactly.  (thumbsu

The 9.4 and the 9.8 numbers, on the other hand are really nothing more than just a subjective opinion which could also change over time, are affected by many different factors and are subject to question at times.  hm  :(

BTW:  I'll see your 9.4 moving up to 9.8 with the same defects and raised you a 9.0 moving up to a 9.8 with still the same defects as previously noted. :baiting:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/15/2023 at 7:43 AM, MAR1979 said:

To some (not me) WP's take precedence over seemingly all else.  Which makes perfect sense in slabbed book where the difference between OW/W and W is highly apparent :whistle:

Now, now, now...............are you simply trying to be sarcastic here or practicing for your stand up comedy routine with your joke here?  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/15/2023 at 2:19 PM, DC# said:

A year later and the dreaded OW/W vs W and this book is down nearly 60%

Screenshot2023-09-15at2_18_21PM.thumb.png.5f36565b3792034b31865e3e2139062d.png

Screenshot2023-09-15at2_18_35PM.thumb.png.6f05933eb8ec83168094afb80cf8bcce.png

I believe it's down nearly 60% simply because somebody was looking for a fast and easy tax write-off when they paid $78K for the book in the first place.  :gossip:

After all, who in their right mind would pay $78K for a book that has almost 4,000 copies slabbed already, with 15 other copies in equivalent 9.8 grade and another whopping 40 9.6 copies knocking right on its door with a current fair market value of only $6,500 for each of them?  :screwy:

On 9/16/2023 at 12:42 AM, lou_fine said:

I believe it's down nearly 60% simply because somebody was looking for a fast and easy tax write-off when they paid $78K for the book in the first place.  :gossip:

After all, who in their right mind would pay $78K for a book that has almost 4,000 copies slabbed already, with 15 other copies in equivalent 9.8 grade and another whopping 40 9.6 copies knocking right on its door with a current fair market value of only $6,500 for each of them?  :screwy:

33K seems 2x more than it should be, expect another drop or 2.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/16/2023 at 12:34 PM, Number 6 said:

Is October/November now back to again being a bad time to consign books to Clink and better to wait until February/March of next year?

Or is it all just randomly bad now?

I'd wait till spring and I wouldn't consign GA books to clink,  imo if you have 5k worth of goodies or more, HA is the place for GA, whereas SA/BA books tend to do ok at Clink. Super nice folks at Link, but the few times I did consign there, I felt HA gets better returns albeit higher commission unfortunately 

On 9/16/2023 at 9:50 AM, Courageous Cat said:

I'd wait till spring and I wouldn't consign GA books to clink,  imo if you have 5k worth of goodies or more, HA is the place for GA, whereas SA/BA books tend to do ok at Clink. Super nice folks at Link, but the few times I did consign there, I felt HA gets better returns albeit higher commission unfortunately 

No GA mostly BA with a couple of SA. 

Was thinking possibly sending to MCS but a few issues are Whitman. They have a search filter for Gold Key but not for Whitman and based on my (limited) past experience I feel like Whitmans can get overlooked in peoples searches. 

In total I can probably put 5 grand worth of stuff together but based on HAs historical data, like you said, may not be the best venue for SA/BA stuff I have. 

Do you happen to know if the $5,000 threshold is limited to just one category or can you get to that total combining categories, like comics and books?

Edited by Number 6

On 9/16/2023 at 1:29 PM, Number 6 said:

No GA mostly BA with a couple of SA. 

Was thinking possibly sending to MCS but a few issues are Whitman. They have a search filter for Gold Key but not for Whitman and based on my (limited) past experience I feel like Whitmans can get overlooked in peoples searches. 

In total I can probably put 5 grand worth of stuff together but based on HAs historical data, like you said, may not be the best venue for SA/BA stuff I have. 

Do you happen to know if the $5,000 threshold is limited to just one category or can you get to that total combining categories, like comics and books?

First off, MCS? super, super nice folk, but unless you're sending a bunch of drek, I wouldn't do that. You are just setting yourself up for low $$ results. 5k is Ha's min per category. They prefer more than that, but I believe thats their bottom line. If it were me with SA/BA? Clink or CC. Best to you

I would submit GA/SA/BA to Heritage right now. Clink prices have been weak for months now, and it is a better place to buy than sell. Heritage is getting better prices now even with the high BP based on my experience with the two sites this year. I can's speak to CC or Mycomicshop as I have not consigned anything there.