• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2023 at 6:48 PM, alexgross.com said:

i'm going to go on record as saying that i was wrong about what i thought the extent of the drop would be post covid bubble. i expected prices (SA mostly is what i pay attention to) to come down some, but not as far as they appear to have come. and they continue to drop. some people said that prices would drop to pre-2019 levels, which seemed unlikely to me. but some or many books certainly have done so. 

i'd like to say that i think things will stabilize soon, but with almost everything in our economy, as well as the global political situation, totally up in the air right now, there's no good reason to be optimistic. 

i wish i was wealthier, i would be buying books all the time now. no one knows where the bottom will be, but i don't know why we would be there yet, at least for non mega keys. 

I have been buying steadily all year long (including mega keys) targeting prices that were in that early 2020 range or better.    Now I find myself looking to see what the values were back in 2016/17 before pulling the trigger to see how much of a paper loss I could be facing if declines continue at this pace for an extended time.      But there are some books that hard to determine if there will be a new floor.   For example, I have passively looked at acquiring Marvel Spotlight #5.   Go back to 2017/18 and a 9.4 was trading in the $3k-$4k range.    The low this year is still $15k with a 12-mos average around $17k.    Even 2019/20 was in the $6k range.     And the growth was not driven by the same level of movie/show hype that has driven other books.  So is the new floor on this one somewhere between $12k and $15k?   Or is it likely that this book will too slip down to somewhere below $10k?   

Screenshot2023-10-30at7_44_11PM.thumb.png.fcaa26103b7d0318d4649f8d6738b6e1.png

On 10/26/2023 at 2:17 AM, Microchip said:

TWD #1 is calling off, Invincibles #1 CGC 9.8 are about $1,000 ahead right now.

image.thumb.png.fc7388b974c50c6b61921149dc67cd2b.png

Yeah this is time to buy Walking Dead 1 if you like the series.  I enjoyed invincible a bunch more so don't have interest in the walking dead world.  

Also enjoyed the ending of invincible more.  

On 10/30/2023 at 10:53 PM, DC# said:

I have been buying steadily all year long (including mega keys) targeting prices that were in that early 2020 range or better.    Now I find myself looking to see what the values were back in 2016/17 before pulling the trigger to see how much of a paper loss I could be facing if declines continue at this pace for an extended time.      But there are some books that hard to determine if there will be a new floor.   For example, I have passively looked at acquiring Marvel Spotlight #5.   Go back to 2017/18 and a 9.4 was trading in the $3k-$4k range.    The low this year is still $15k with a 12-mos average around $17k.    Even 2019/20 was in the $6k range.     And the growth was not driven by the same level of movie/show hype that has driven other books.  So is the new floor on this one somewhere between $12k and $15k?   Or is it likely that this book will too slip down to somewhere below $10k?   

can't predict the future.  if the war and middle east instability worsens,  the declining market and most assets will continue their drop 

On 10/30/2023 at 7:53 PM, DC# said:

But there are some books that hard to determine if there will be a new floor.   For example, I have passively looked at acquiring Marvel Spotlight #5.   Go back to 2017/18 and a 9.4 was trading in the $3k-$4k range.    The low this year is still $15k with a 12-mos average around $17k.    Even 2019/20 was in the $6k range.     And the growth was not driven by the same level of movie/show hype that has driven other books.  So is the new floor on this one somewhere between $12k and $15k?   Or is it likely that this book will too slip down to somewhere below $10k?   

So, are you saying the lucky winner who paid $264K for their copy of Marvel Spotlight 5 might just have to hold onto that book for a much longer time period than planned in order to avoid losing money on it?  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :tonofbricks:

On 10/30/2023 at 10:53 PM, DC# said:

I see a CGC 8.5 continues to drop but the CGC 9.4 appears to be levelling off (and inching upwards).  I wonder what the chart would look like for a 5.0 or 6.0 copy?

I'm no market expert but it looks like maybe we are reaching the "capitulation" phase?

People who were holding out in hopes of a market turnaround are now giving up and dumping out of fear of losing everything.

While painful the market probably needs to go through this phase to finally reach a bottom.

A long period of sideways stabilization probably follows.

On 10/31/2023 at 6:26 AM, darkstar said:

It most definitely was.

Not in terms of announced projects or development that drove books from Agatha Harkness to X-men.    As a matter of fact, the most aggressive movie speculation has been in the past month not back when the 9.8 copy set the new record.  

On 10/30/2023 at 12:03 AM, DC# said:

Here is a recap of Session 1 and 2 of the Oct/Nov ComicLink auction.  

Appreciate all of the hard work you are putting into this.  However, for those not wishing to plunge into all of that data, I've provided a brief summary below...

red sea.jpg

Yes, prices on a lot of stuff has dropped. Sadly. Not on what I collect.

But, what I have seen and heard from comic dealers is that people are being a lot more selective as to what they buy.

This is a major reason why prices are dropping. Dealers are having to get real and dropping their prices to move books. Smart buyers with cash hold all the cards.

This year is almost over. This is also the time of year when collectible sales drop off. Will be interesting to see what 2024 brings…

On 10/30/2023 at 10:27 PM, lou_fine said:

So, are you saying the lucky winner who paid $264K for their copy of Marvel Spotlight 5 might just have to hold onto that book for a much longer time period than planned in order to avoid losing money on it?  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :tonofbricks:

I might have put my money into more historically proven books…..but maybe this was Nic Cage trying to start his collection again 

On 10/31/2023 at 5:40 AM, 1Cool said:

I see a CGC 8.5 continues to drop but the CGC 9.4 appears to be levelling off (and inching upwards).  I wonder what the chart would look like for a 5.0 or 6.0 copy?

6.0 is still trading at around 3x what it was in 2017/18.    So curve is not too different than the 9.4.   

On 10/31/2023 at 8:44 AM, DC# said:

Not in terms of announced projects or development that drove books from Agatha Harkness to X-men.    As a matter of fact, the most aggressive movie speculation has been in the past month not back when the 9.8 copy set the new record.  

Ghost Rider has been targeted as potentially being used in the MCU more times over the past decade than just about every other character. That includes the rumored return of Cage to the role, the creation of Robbie Reyes, Reyes appearing on Agents of Shield, the creation of Cosmic Ghost Rider, the rumor that Mephisto was in Doctor Strange 2, plus the MCU using either the Midnight Sons or the Legion of Monsters having already used, or in the process of using, Blade, Morbius, Man Thing, Werewolf by Night, etc.