• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,172 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2023 at 12:20 AM, Telegan said:

It's like in the stock market - people always say the drop is crazy, but what about the rise?  I think the rise to $72k was nuts and along with another $60k sale, an outlier of sorts.  Seems more like prices are coming back to reality.  The lowest price it's sold for (on GPA) this year is still higher than the highest price it sold for in 2020.

True, true.  We discussed this at lengths in 2020/2021 when prices were going crazy.  This thread is about the crash after the explosion.

On 11/23/2023 at 12:20 AM, Telegan said:

It's like in the stock market - people always say the drop is crazy, but what about the rise?  I think the rise to $72k was nuts and along with another $60k sale, an outlier of sorts.  Seems more like prices are coming back to reality.  The lowest price it's sold for (on GPA) this year is still higher than the highest price it sold for in 2020.

On 11/23/2023 at 7:46 AM, 1Cool said:

True, true.  We discussed this at lengths in 2020/2021 when prices were going crazy.  This thread is about the crash after the explosion.

Economists have indeed discovered that the recoveries after a slump tend to be strong. That's why huge investors make profit projections for years in the future instead of merely months.

On 11/23/2023 at 1:24 PM, mjoeyoung said:

That's why I'm holding onto my Beanie Babies!  When that recovery kicks in I'll be buying a yacht on the Riviera next to Bezos!  Gotta think long-term.  Just a few more years. :wishluck:

Emphasis on the "When that recovery kicks in"xD

On 11/28/2023 at 10:14 AM, october said:

Has to be an error by two bidders that didn't look closely enough. That's like 12x what it's worth, and it's not a rare book. There's a 9.6 for $4k on eBay BIN right now!

I couldn't even get $5K for a GRR 9.8 a year ago. lol

On 11/28/2023 at 12:46 PM, DC# said:

Having been contacted in the past by Heritage as the under-bidder when the winning bidder did not pay (they offered to allow me to purchase at my last bid) - I feel pretty confident that the under-bidder will be contacted on this sale and that person too should respectfully decline.   

Here are 6.0 results from GPA

Screenshot2023-11-28at9_45_45AM.thumb.png.fdb821a4eaa448eb8abd02f42439107b.png

yeah the 6.0 prices. Sorry I meant more in the direction of all prices as there was some that looked like ppl were pumping up the 9-0 - 9.6 prices when they were garbage for awhile and some were going for ridiculously higher than they should have been. Appreciate the info on that grade at any rate ;-)

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

On 11/28/2023 at 10:58 AM, AbsoluteCarnage said:

yeah the 6.0 prices. Sorry I meant more in the direction of all prices as there was some that looked like ppl were pumping up the 9-0 - 9.6 prices when they were garbage for awhile and some were going for ridiculously higher than they should have been. Appreciate the info on that grade at any rate ;-)

Screenshot2023-11-28at12_19_38PM.thumb.png.67d448dccc83dd8902a8bcf3cbf008eb.png

On 11/29/2023 at 9:58 PM, DC# said:

Working on the Clink recap as this auction unfolds......a lot of very high-quality books that seem to be doing pretty well.   

I put tracking bids on about 50 items. On half I was wiped out within days. The remainder were mostly eclipsed a few days prior to close. I'm not seeing any screaming bargains on what I like, which are typically minor keys and cool covers. My tracks were in GA, SA, BA, and MA. Prices to me seem like 2019ish unless it's a unicorn. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/29/2023 at 9:58 PM, DC# said:

Working on the Clink recap as this auction unfolds......a lot of very high-quality books that seem to be doing pretty well.   

The top tier market is a different world than even the upper medium tier market. There were some CRAZY prices last night, and this time of year there seems to be a little bounce.

I think a lot of people get Christmas bonuses and start spending them on themselves and that causes a little more spending. That and spiked egg nog. 

On 11/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, VintageComics said:

The top tier market is a different world than even the upper medium tier market. There were some CRAZY prices last night, and this time of year there seems to be a little bounce.

I think a lot of people get Christmas bonuses and start spending them on themselves and that causes a little more spending. That and spiked egg nog. 

I must have been watching a different auction because the Bronze and Copper Age stuff I tracked continued its downward trend  (shrug)