• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,172 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2023 at 6:30 PM, VintageComics said:

I don't want to post my own books for privacy reasons, but based on my experiences, and I've been posting about them in this thread all year, there are still many books (even regular, non-key SA in high and highest grades) that still fetch strong numbers with many going over GPA.

Anyway, thanks for answering. I was just curious as to how that came to be the list. (thumbsu 

Why not post some delayed data then? A few months after the sale so no one knows your current inventory?

A long-time dealers analytical insight would be a cool addition to this thread.

-bc

On 12/2/2023 at 5:27 PM, VintageComics said:

I'm asking who chose the specific list that DC is following and updating prices about?

Was it just random? Did people give suggestions? How was that specific list compiled?

And I wasn't asking you specifically, I was asking anyone that might know. 

No worries. 

I vaguely recall something to do with the sales available when he started, or @DC#  being retroactively possible as he could.

If the ones you mentioned that are winners are newer to value and or market, he might just not have past data.

I know originally he was going back to 2019, but I don't recall the list being as long with certain issues. I think some have been omitted as they weren't for sale recently. I'm still new to auction houses and trying to learn, and depending on how often the auctions close, you might find your books on there eventually, or a different subset titles already mentioned.

In addition to stating the winners, you could go back through the thread based on months with auctions that have ended to look at past lists. It might help! Even of you didn't look at "all posts" but only lists?

There were some initial complaints when it started to be more inclusive, in some form or fashion, but the specifics and natural progression is too long ago with several intervals to remember precisely  :cheers:

On 12/2/2023 at 5:45 PM, DC# said:

For the record - there is not a single list of books that I put in these summaries.   It is just a random collection of books by auction typically considered to be key or in enough demand to generate fairly frequent activity.   Even on this sale - looking at a book that hasn’t had a sale since 2003 is interesting but not particularly revelatory.    But I also just throw in stuff that looks like fun ( a bronze or copper 9.9), something that was heavily speculative at a point (eternals) or things that happened to generate big dollars.    

By virtue of targeting the “keys” - there is typically always a good amount of the same stuff.    But also by doing this I have grown to appreciate that the same book in the same grade doesn’t show up as often as one might think.   I typically include a column that has prior clink auction result but there is typically not that many to reference.    I left it off this summary because most of this auction is just less common.    Instead I gave the 12 month average (which is essentially 2023 at this point), 2022, and 2021.  Felt like it is interesting to give that almost complete three year avg look as the 2021 average will go away in January in GPA 

That's the thing, with it being different titles or issues it was both consistent and sparse with someone being a newcomer looking at it, or I had to rack my brain.

Still as mentioned for winners, it'd be nice if there were books I owned on there, but I can't expect that and no one should lol

Other than to say that there continues a downward trend and if it respite, then Lord willing the list is enough of the stated market (within clink or auction houses) to at least get a picture. I don't know that peeps have been drawing conclusions or making thousand dollar decisions off of it, but it is certainly a good chunk of past sales with percentage comparisons. 

On 12/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I vaguely recall something to do with the sales available when he started, or @DC#  being retroactively possible as he could.

If the ones you mentioned that are winners are newer to value and or market, he might just not have past data.

I know originally he was going back to 2019, but I don't recall the list being as long with certain issues. I think some have been omitted as they weren't for sale recently. I'm still new to auction houses and trying to learn, and depending on how often the auctions close, you might find your books on there eventually, or a different subset titles already mentioned.

In addition to stating the winners, you could go back through the thread based on months with auctions that have ended to look at past lists. It might help! Even of you didn't look at "all posts" but only lists?

There were some initial complaints when it started to be more inclusive, in some form or fashion, but the specifics and natural progression is too long ago with several intervals to remember precisely  :cheers:

I also want to remind those that don’t use GPA frequently- they only keep average sales in their summaries for 90 day, 12 month and prior 2 years.    So in 2023 average values are not provided for 2020 or earlier.    Getting that data would require someone doing a hell of a lot of manually calculating and I am sure not going to do it.  

Per my point above - 2021 averages will disappear at the end of this month.    

Edited by DC#

On 12/2/2023 at 5:59 PM, DC# said:

I also want to remind those that don’t use GPA frequently- they only keep average sales their summaries for 90, 12 month and prior 2 years.    So in 2023 average values are not provided for 2020 or earlier.    Getting that data would require someone doing a hell of a lot of manually calculating and I am sure not going to do it.  

Per my point above - 2021 averages will disappear at the end of this month.    

Amen 😂

I did get the idea to start compiling past lists, as I think once upon a time some went back as far as 2019. It's pretty much in the thread or past, just if I had the need for one to know, I'd look and possibly share. I just know lists differ and they are somewhat comparable with the losses being prevalent.

It's appreciated :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/2/2023 at 1:20 PM, bc said:

I think a lot of the green is from GA books.

-bc

Yup.  I've been outbid on so many GA books, it's not funny.  In most cases, I don't even bother bidding because the bids shoot past anything I'm willing to pay for the book using the hated sniping tactics. lol.  Lot of strong GA sales.  Of course there are strong and weak sales in all ages, including GA.

On 12/2/2023 at 4:20 PM, Telegan said:

Yup.  I've been outbid on so many GA books, it's not funny.  In most cases, I don't even bother bidding because the bids shoot past anything I'm willing to pay for the book using the hated sniping tactics. lol.  Lot of strong GA sales.  Of course there are strong and weak sales in all ages, including GA.

during the past several Clink auctions I noticed that many books (generally high demand books) did not have additional bids in the final minutes or even the final hours.    I also watch a lot if not all of the session 1 results live.  Maybe it was the nature of the books offered but this auction bucked recent trends in that I saw a lot more activity in the final day and more sales that had a jump between observed high as the clock ended and  the posted final winning bid.  

On 12/2/2023 at 6:57 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Other than to say that there continues a downward trend and if it respite, then Lord willing the list is enough of the stated market (within clink or auction houses) to at least get a picture. I don't know that peeps have been drawing conclusions or making thousand dollar decisions off of it, but it is certainly a good chunk of past sales with percentage comparisons. 

Not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that by choosing only keys, we are focusing on the SEGMENT of the market that enjoyed the most meteoric of rises, a segment that would likely have the most significant decreases during a correction. I personally don't collect major keys, and the books I bid on don't seem soft at all. They're certainly not as robust as the Covid days when folks had stimulus money and even cashed out 401K accounts and tried their hands at comic flipping. The current list has certainly been updated and maintained by DC# in an admirable fashion. A similar random non key or even icon cover sampling would be a nice compliment. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/2/2023 at 8:16 PM, jimjum12 said:

Not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that by choosing only keys, we are focusing on the SEGMENT of the market that enjoyed the most meteoric of rises, a segment that would likely have the most significant decreases during a correction. I personally don't collect major keys, and the books I bid on don't seem soft at all. They're certainly not as robust as the Covid days when folks had stimulus money and even cashed out 401K accounts and tried their hands at comic flipping. The current list has certainly been updated and maintained by DC# in an admirable fashion. A similar random non key or even icon cover sampling would be a nice compliment. GOD BLESS ... 

+1

💯 percent agree, and as for myself, if I get around to compiling past lists with comparable or similar books on a list, I'll let that contribute too. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/2/2023 at 9:31 PM, DC# said:

The presumed purpose of this thread by the OP was specifically a reaction to the meteoric rise in prices and trying to understand if the tide had turned.   For all the books that had no significant change in their trajectory during the boom - there is not really much to talk about.   They are probably bouncing around at some historical inflationary rate give or take a little.    And the more random the book - the less relevant it really is for understanding general direction of the market - And the less relevant a record high or low sell is.   Some probably get a boost when a specific collector is trying finish their objective finally has a copy in their sites and goes full speed ahead to get it.    Many boarders have confessed to overpaying just to “get it over with” 

And not to get snippy but for anyone wanting to know the goings and comings of any random non-key title - GPA or GoCollect or whatever is around for anyone to dig into all the data until their fingers bleed.    

Lol I feel you. I don't think anyone meant to disparage the thread or the outcome and purpose, @VintageComics asked a simple big picture question lol

Put on the spot i think i had forgot lol

I had to vent to figure it out, not only to give an answer, but to know for myself and edify hahha

I was thankful, grateful, but was spoiled in your work, needed to vilify to give credit where due, and nothing wrong with rehashing. 

It's at least different and better than the just looking at some decrease in value with our Jaws to the floor lol

Time has passed, and who knows if it'll help us to look with fresh eyes now that its been revisited. :cheers:

Thanks again. :)

It is probably "easier",  so to speak, or at least serves a purpose in a thread like this, a dedicated thread to capitulating in vast value differences or fluctuation.

We've got the heating up threads and etc. that people sometimes post in, and when not doing so I assume there are no red hots or everyone is holding rather than putting in the work a dealer would need to to constantly sell at a good price. As opposed to holding through movie or other spec. 

I guess what I need to check for myself or even more these days when it's not so obvious are "constant sales" books. Maybe not even heating up or in a decrease, but you've got your ASM and Batman and other regulars, so what would help me specifically is searching books I own for past sales to see what is consistent if just for a baseline for comparing everything else or all other useful threads mentioned.

I'm not a dealer and only sell one or two books a year, I'm thankful to the Lord to have chosen well in what to part with, which was my issue on other movie etc spec as I didn't sell I'd buy instead due to inventory, but now that I have inventory I should do what everyone else has to revisit.

Buying is another sort of animal altogether that I can agree that to just buy what you love works.

I still need the seller baseline for comparison though. :)

In my mind good sellers would be at auction houses eventually and etc but I would have to assume that haha

Worth mentioning also that I guess 🙏 with steady sellers (also figure out what would be a not forgotten book or some wayside dead in the water book)  which in turn could pick up again.

On 12/2/2023 at 10:05 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It is probably "easier",  so to speak, or at least serves a purpose in a thread like this, a dedicated thread to capitulating in vast value differences or fluctuation.

We've got the heating up threads and etc. that people sometimes post in, and when not doing so I assume there are no red hots or everyone is holding rather than putting in the work a dealer would need to to constantly sell at a good price. As opposed to holding through movie or other spec. 

I guess what I need to check for myself or even more these days when it's not so obvious are "constant sales" books. Maybe not even heating up or in a decrease, but you've got your ASM and Batman and other regulars, so what would help me specifically is searching books I own for past sales to see what is consistent if just for a baseline for comparing everything else or all other useful threads mentioned.

I'm not a dealer and only sell one or two books a year, I'm thankful to the Lord to have chosen well in what to part with, which was my issue on other movie etc spec as I didn't sell I'd buy instead due to inventory, but now that I have inventory I should do what everyone else has to revisit.

Buying is another sort of animal altogether that I can agree that to just buy what you love works.

I still need the seller baseline for comparison though. :)

In my mind good sellers would be at auction houses eventually and etc but I would have to assume that haha

Worth mentioning also that I guess 🙏 with steady sellers (also figure out what would be a not forgotten book or some wayside dead in the water book)  which in turn could pick up again.

Personal vent that may contribute but just where I'm coming from, lol no reply needed, other than to say if you turned me into a long winded poster then that's on you!

TLDR version hahaha 🤣😂

On 12/2/2023 at 10:31 PM, DC# said:

And not to get snippy but for anyone wanting to know the goings and comings of any random non-key title - GPA or GoCollect or whatever is around for anyone to dig into all the data until their fingers bleed.    

This applies to the keys as well.

Keys are not the entirety of the market... not even close, but it is cool to discuss as long as we aren't confusing or misleading new collectors, who may wander into this site, as to the gist of the TOTAL market, if there even is such a thing. Again, thank you for your efforts. Capturing CLink data is especially welcomed. GOD BLESS ...

For those adding more data to the discussion, thanks!  But all the data come with the caveat that books thinly bought and sold will have very few recorded sales, and so are much more prone to the variability that comes from each sale in general and also factors that affect sale prices, like selling source, page quality, eye appeal, number of comparably graded copies to reach market recently, and the like.  I appreciate that the list compiled by DC# tries as much as possible to focus on books with relatively abundant sales data to reduce these sources of variation and generate comparative data that has more reliability.

Edited by namisgr

On 12/3/2023 at 8:44 AM, namisgr said:

For those adding more data to the discussion, thanks!  But all the data come with the caveat that books thinly bought and sold will have very few recorded sales, and so are much more prone to the variability that comes from each sale in general and also factors that affect sale prices, like selling source, page quality, eye appeal, number of comparably graded copies to reach market recently, and the like.  I appreciate that the list compiled by DC# tries as much as possible to focus on books with relatively abundant sales data to reduce these sources of variation and generate comparative data that has more reliability.

I get what you're saying, Bob, but just because a book has less sales data does not make it less REAL. In fact, if one is discussing the trajectory the Comic "market", it really can't be accurately done while focusing only on the easy stuff. This would also apply to, for example, non key Ditko ASMs, and Kirby FFs. They're in every single auction in abundance. They're also still very popular, even though they may not go for 10x the price of the respective keys. The "key" approach can be very misleading. A person can argue in defense of that approach, as long as they're comfortable with being wrong. GOD BLESS ...