• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,157 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2023 at 12:15 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah, that's exactly how it went for me. Too late to retract unilaterally.  Would have to ask the seller to do it.

Maybe that's how 2 people working together can shill the bidding, even within the 12 hr. cutoff. The seller can cancel his buddy's bid for him at any time by "request", after revealing what the highest bid was of a competing bidder (the "mark"). The mark's bid would then revert back down to the amount necessary to still be high bidder, maybe even as low as the starting bid. But with the high proxy bid revealed, the buddy (same buddy or another) could place a bid right under that proxy amount to extract as much money as possible from the mark.

Still close to 100% sure that once a bid is placed, the seller can't change any terms (title, photos, description, shipping cost or method), locked up. You can add to the description to clarify, but not change the original description. 

On 12/13/2023 at 9:50 PM, Lightning55 said:

Still close to 100% sure that once a bid is placed, the seller can't change any terms (title, photos, description, shipping cost or method), locked up. You can add to the description to clarify, but not change the original description. 

^^

On 12/13/2023 at 11:05 PM, Lightning55 said:

Two of these things don't ring true to me.

Last week I tried to retract a bid when I found out that the seller's last 5 feedbacks were Negative, never shipped. There were only 10 hours left, so I was unable to retract, denied by eBay, under 12 hours left. Even if I wanted to retract it for the wrong amount bid, it would not have let me proceed, just roadblocked. So I guess the 12 hour rule is alive and well. Fortunately for me, an equally unobservent bidder outbid me, letting me off the hook.

And once there is a bid placed on an auction, the seller is unable to revise it (all consequential fields grayed out). I found that out when I wanted to make a bulk revision of handling time, not noticing that one of the listings in the group had a bid on it. Revision denied.

I'd like to know who has been able to get around these restrictions, because I know I can't. 

This is the part that just doesn't make any sense to me. The incident occurred because an admin of a popular FB group called Deal or no Deal had some retractions occur from this person. This was about a week before the more recent issue, where two other people reported him doing this to their auctions. When the admins asked me to ban him from our group, I reached out to all three people, asked if they could share screenshots of the bidding activity, and the common thread I was seeing is he was appearing to very often bid against himself. So imagine seeing multiple bids in a row, with no competing bid against him, then a retraction of one of those bids in the final minutes. To me it looked like he was trying to reveal the max bid of the top bidder. Maybe because he was bidding using this method (multiple bids against himself) where they allowed it so frequently. In all, he had retracted three bids with one seller, and he was using two different accounts, which we later determined were his. In the space of 12 months, he had 52 retractions on one account, and 83 on the other. I've had my account since 2000, I never had a single retraction. How and why anyone is able to retract this many bids is not only beyond me, but should easily reek of abuse to anyone from feeBay if those listing are reported.

Furthermore, I wondered if anyone else was discussing this issue and found a reddit thread from 5-6 days ago where people were discussing this issue, and someone posted the following screenshot. Again, there is something about all of this which doesn't add up to me either, namely - how in the world does someone rack up over nearing 44k retractions in a 6 month timeframe without feeBay doing something? Is this because it's a feeBay top rated seller using their account also to buy? The issue with this is the two accounts I refer to above were not top rated seller accounts, they were standard accounts which appeared to be used mainly for buying, but also for selling.

bid-retractions.thumb.jpeg.ee87f98b9396ce58a243ea26e5e7d637.jpeg

Edited by comicwiz

Here's to back-up what I stated earlier. If you'll notice on the first screenshot there is a patterning of bids, the ones blurred out are one of the accounts this person used. You can see they are the same because of the feedback/selliing metric of 536. The three bids were 115, 120, and 125. What's also important to point out from that first screenshot is the timestamp on those bids, and the top bid that's bolded, as that's the winning bid by the same person. Look at the end time.

retraction-screen2.thumb.jpg.b29729d4d6774c5cda01575146ed43e7.jpg

Now look at the timestamp on when the retraction on that $125 bid happened - and of course the reason. Doubtful, after seeing him doing this on multiple auctions, sometimes with his "mistake" being off by just a few dollars, that this is what feeBay means by error.

Does that look to you like 12 hours? This is just one of many examples shared with me showing the retraction tactic being used, and this goes back to September, the ones more recent have more of this happening, and similar patterns of bidding and retraction. It's one thing to post what policy should be, and another when someone has clearly figured out a way to make a mockery of it.

retraction-screen1.thumb.jpg.ac47fff463a5ff564cbcb21331d5135b.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

does a cancelled bid by the seller inside the final 12 hour window register as a retraction on the the bidders account? 

Either way, if 2 accounts are colluding, or one person controls both accounts (bidder and seller) the effect is the same- you are bidding up the item and increasing the max bid of any other legit bidders. 

On 12/14/2023 at 9:24 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

does a cancelled bid by the seller inside the final 12 hour window register as a retraction on the the bidders account? 

Either way, if 2 accounts are colluding, or one person controls both accounts (bidder and seller) the effect is the same- you are bidding up the item and increasing the max bid of any other legit bidders. 

They should all register, under buyers feedback tab, to the far right, just above where the summary of feedback begins. Here's the persons two accounts (the one showing 536 with the 83 retractions is the one tied to the above screenshots:

yummygummy.thumb.jpg.32178ac21a73f51c3d63ef73e54fc1a3.jpg

Total of 135 bid retractions between these two accounts. It's possible there's others, these are the only one he's fessed-up to being tied to.

cutie.thumb.jpg.7163748fbf15217dbfc829b87652e86c.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

On 12/14/2023 at 8:42 AM, VintageComics said:

This just solidifies my theory that the corporate structure is prone to corruption, as the more something MUST lean toward profit the more it MUST lean toward corruption. It's a really simple principle that has even been shown to be true through studies.

All corporations 'lean' toward profit. Does that make all corporations corrupt?

Or, again, if you raise children who don't value profit and corruption over integrity, those people will find more honorable ways to turn a profit and run a business and I'm going to beat that drum until the day I die, because that's the real solution to every problem in life. 

Hmmm. Let’s say a Comic Book Seller, finds someone with a (1961) Incredible Hulk #1-6, and he convinces the guy that they’re 2.0 ‘Good’ copies and makes a fair discounted offer on them. He immediately goes to another dealer and says, “These are 6.0 ‘Fine’ copies” and the dealer offers him a discounted price on them.

In today’s market, you’d be looking at making AT LEAST a $20,000 profit on that sale. In other words, taking that money out of someone’s else’s possible hands and putting it in YOURS.

Was the Comic Book seller Honest? Corrupt? Did he value profit over integrity? Is he a bad person?

For example, good people won't deal with bad people, immediately stunting the growth of that 'bad' enterprise.

Or good people won't work for those types of companies that exhibit poor behavior.

Or good people won't encourage that sort of behavior and even speak out against it if / when it comes up in the corporate board room. 

Or good people won't overextend themselves in ways that puts them into situations where they may consider making bad decisions to get themselves out of it. 

So having good people in the world is really the solution to most world problems. I really believe that.  

Yeah. Then why is Walmart one of the most successful companies in the world?

On 12/13/2023 at 9:15 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Correct.

I only get the messages from eBay buyers asking me to cancel their bid because of the above less than 12 hours rule.

I always do and then block them from ever doing business again. More often that not they are shady and not worth having them as future bidders.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

I also block bidder who retract bids and never bid again (within that same day)

if you try and retract within less than 12 hours remaining (and asking me) I will not retract unless it's an item that I have set an opening bid I'm ok selling the item at

but that bidder will also get blocked

the absolute worst is when people cancel after the won the item - automatic block

part of these reasons is why I've move to buy it nows for the most part

On 12/14/2023 at 1:37 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I also block bidder who retract bids and never bid again (within that same day)

if you try and retract within less than 12 hours remaining (and asking me) I will not retract unless it's an item that I have set an opening bid I'm ok selling the item at

but that bidder will also get blocked

the absolute worst is when people cancel after the won the item - automatic block

part of these reasons is why I've move to buy it nows for the most part

I dont mind if its one time, but I had some who bid 2-5 times and keeping retracting.  automatic block

On 12/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, DC# said:

A few notable results from Goldin last night......

X-Men #1 8.0 OW went for $62.2k - last sale was $43.5K in Dec 2022

Tales of Suspense #39 9.0 OW/W went for $80.5K - last was $78k in Dec 2022

that seems promising for the overall market given that goldin is usually on the lower end of sales prices compared to the more well-known auction houses. 

should be interesting to see if this trend continues at least for higher grade SA keys going into the new year. overall economic news seems to have significantly brightened in the last month and so perhaps that is helping in terms of comics prices. 

on the other hand, this could also just be a case of two high grade books that are desirable and not easy to find in grade being battled over by a few determined and wealthy collectors. 

On 12/22/2023 at 2:22 PM, alexgross.com said:

that seems promising for the overall market given that goldin is usually on the lower end of sales prices compared to the more well-known auction houses. 

should be interesting to see if this trend continues at least for higher grade SA keys going into the new year. overall economic news seems to have significantly brightened in the last month and so perhaps that is helping in terms of comics prices. 

on the other hand, this could also just be a case of two high grade books that are desirable and not easy to find in grade being battled over by a few determined and wealthy collectors. 

Those were my exact conflicting thoughts too.   There was also a really strong Star Wars #1 9.8 sale but there were also a few soft Bronze books at the same time.   

On 12/13/2023 at 4:37 PM, comicwiz said:

I do believe it is far more contextually honest to start talking about these as imitation bubbles. Fake interest, fake bids, driving-up fake prices, fooling people into believing the market is strong. 

Things were so twisted during covid that we are STILL unwinding back to reality.  It makes sense that unscrupulous people with vested interest would use any means necessary in an attempt to keep values from falling until they can close their positions.  Do we even know what reality is anymore?  NFTs have been crushed.  Video games have been getting massacred.  I just don't know if comics have experienced enough of a correction yet.  I still feel like I'm playing musical chairs.

On 12/31/2023 at 5:17 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

It's interesting that the S&P500 was up 26% and the Nasdaq 44% in 2023 yet comics trended down almost every month. 

I think part of it is due to the (general) lack of liquidity in comic books.  There's a lag between wanting to sell a comic and actually getting it sold (for the most part).  If you want to sell a stock, you put in your market/limit/whatever order, and you kind of know what it sells for.  With a comic, you send it to an auction, put it up on eBay and a few days to months later, you pray you get what you want for it, but you're at the mercy of the "market" as far the price.

A lot of the S&P and NASDAQ already corrected.  You can also look at it as sectors in comics - Modern, Bronze, and Silver have been getting decimated, while a lot of Golden Age have been resilient but have started (?) correcting.  Just like if you look at something like the Russell 1000 or 2000 in stocks, it's out-run other sectors.  Energy stocks were once flying but have settled down, but some are looking for those and biotech as well as homebuilder stocks to go up this coming year.

Maybe a lot of the comic money also went back to crypto as it doubled, tripled, quintupled, etc.  Who knows.

Edited by Telegan