• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2024 at 7:48 AM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

may possibly be one of the most short sighted answers available.

Sometimes short-sighted answers are the best. I have been thinking long term. I will make a bet with you if the comic book market goes up a year from now I will send you one of  PayPal, Venmo, or Cash App to any charity of your choice $100.

If it goes down further like I think, then you send me $100 to a charity of my choice. 

Deal?

On 5/4/2024 at 7:48 AM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

Just because YOU struggle to figure out how to better manage funds and time doesn't mean the world has moved on

I am not struggling as I am exactly doing pretty well. Most of the mainstream investors moved on. They will continue to move on. It wasn`t about cutting corners. Most people rather spend/invest their money on other things now. The Marvel movie spell hype is over. Wait a year when prices will be even lower.  This is a great time to be a comic book collector, not a comic book investor. Let`s face most comic book investors have lost 50% or more these last few years. We are not talking 5 or 10 percent. The same thing happened with sports cards and other collectibles. People got smart as in they can make more money in the stock market or high-yield savings account. 

On 5/4/2024 at 1:55 PM, skypinkblu said:

I'm sure there are many people who just got into books to invest. Sadly, some of them never even opened their books to read them.

I refer to those folks as stamp collectors. What is inside the comic is meaningless to them - it is all about buying something for 10 bucks in order to flip it for 15. It could just as easily be stamps, cards, or vintage tea cups. 

On 5/4/2024 at 1:55 PM, skypinkblu said:

I've seen people come here to look at prices like it's a ticker tape. I've never expected most of those people to stick around after the chance to make a lot of money changed.

I understand and agree with where you are coming from here, but I want to add some nuance to that picture. I work in a field where I analyze numbers. I like to collect as much information as possible about whatever I am doing - this is just the way I am put together. A huge part of the fun of the hobby for me is to look at trends, and a big part of that is subscribing to data sources like GPAnalysis. If others collect in different ways and do not care for the numbers so much then that is totally their prerogative. But for me the hobby would be way less fun and engaging without that ticker tape you mention. 

On 5/4/2024 at 7:59 AM, jimjum12 said:

This is exactly what I meant. GPA is also a little threadbare in regards to book specifics, or they were. Many times, an outlier hammers out for a reason, not necessarily because someone was way less intellectually developed than someone else. Sometimes, it actually IS the *ahem* white pages. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Or the book has extra bright color or the book has pressable defects or the book presents nicely for the grade or the book appears to be tightly graded.
Past sales are helpful but really counts is the buyer and seller agree on a price and make an exchange.

On 5/4/2024 at 1:23 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Sometimes short-sighted answers are the best. I have been thinking long term. I will make a bet with you if the comic book market goes up a year from now I will send you one of  PayPal, Venmo, or Cash App to any charity of your choice $100.

If it goes down further like I think, then you send me $100 to a charity of my choice. 

Deal?

Seems ambiguous at best. Books will always go up and down, tastes change, focus change, people come and go. If you really want to sit and act like it is guaranteed that books will continue to drop then we can certainly discuss how much Crime Suspenstories 22 will drop by at least 15% in all grades over the next year if that suits you? We obviously can't track everything and many blue chip books become less stable around movie hype.

On 5/4/2024 at 1:35 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

I am not struggling as I am exactly doing pretty well. Most of the mainstream investors moved on. They will continue to move on. It wasn`t about cutting corners. Most people rather spend/invest their money on other things now. The Marvel movie spell hype is over. Wait a year when prices will be even lower.  This is a great time to be a comic book collector, not a comic book investor. Let`s face most comic book investors have lost 50% or more these last few years. We are not talking 5 or 10 percent. The same thing happened with sports cards and other collectibles. People got smart as in they can make more money in the stock market or high-yield savings account. 

As a comic collector and dealer I can say 2 things with absolute confidence.

The stock market at it's best has never been able to duplicate profits I have been able to find in comics.

Coming in and trying to invest in comics while not knowing what you're doing is no different than if I came in and dumped all my money into a few stocks because some investing guru told me to. If you don't take the time to really learn comics (takes years), you will not be successful.

I hesitate to respond, definitely no never mind either way, but NM #98 and IH 180/181 might have done their spiking to come back down to earth?
The only "books" that I heard people spiking with due to the Deadpool/Wolverine flick was Wolverine #'s 154/155, but IDK how "true" that is either? :shy: 

On 5/4/2024 at 4:14 PM, Stefan_W said:

I understand and agree with where you are coming from here, but I want to add some nuance to that picture. I work in a field where I analyze numbers. I like to collect as much information as possible about whatever I am doing - this is just the way I am put together. A huge part of the fun of the hobby for me is to look at trends, and a big part of that is subscribing to data sources like GPAnalysis. If others collect in different ways and do not care for the numbers so much then that is totally their prerogative. But for me the hobby would be way less fun and engaging without that ticker tape you mention. 

I'm married to an accountant and my daughter teaches calculus.  I have no problem with people who play with numbers or enjoy them. I hope you know that was not what I was talking about. 
I really appreciate the various tables that people post around here.

On 5/4/2024 at 8:17 PM, thehumantorch said:

Unfortunately those tired SA and BA keys and Modern spec stuff is the comic market for many of those 'influencers'.  As much as I love early SA books there's a lot more out there. 

Had a local flipper selling some GA at a show.  He was asking the moon for an early Batman and a few other nice books but he had no idea LB Cole   Romance was worth anything.  I tried not to giggle when he quoted $25 for a classic Cole romance book that was worth 20 times more.  When I bought it he was thrilled because now he could afford supper.  Giggle.  I love guys who don't know as much as they think.

That's always really interesting to me. 

When you walk into most comic shops, the people working there have a few limited scope of knowledge....and GA is pretty far outside that scope. 

It's a bit disheartening for people making a living in comics to not know who Matt Baker or L.B Cole are... never mind more recent guys like Sterenko or Wrightson. But that's not where the business is for comic shops.