• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 1:55 PM, 1Cool said:

$230 for a She-Hulk 1 CGC 9.8 - yikes!!  I was getting double that even before the movie hype took over.  

My news stand 9.8 went for 520, and the copy that was in the previous CL auction went for a couple hundred more than that. I am getting the feeling that this specific auction is kind of sucking for a lot of books. 

Edited by Stefan_W

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile, in yesterday's heritage auction, ASM 1 in 5.0 went for about 4K less than the two previous sales this year (11.7K vs 15K, 15.6K) - that seems like an anomaly?  Or people sleeping on this auction?  Or is it really slipping that badly?

Edited by Panda2
clarity

On 5/8/2024 at 2:26 PM, Panda2 said:

Meanwhile, in yesterday's heritage auction, ASM 1 in 5.0 went for about 4K less than the two previous sales this year (11.7K vs 15K, 15.6K) - that seems like an anomaly?  Or people sleeping on this auction?  Or is it really slipping that badly?

That copy has writing on the top front. In that grade the type of defect is really important and I can see a lot of potential buyers waiting for a different copy.

capture.jpg

On 5/7/2024 at 9:20 PM, jimjum12 said:

My Uncle bought Berkshire Hathaway @$2500. It doesn't always have to make sense. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu 

BH is not an index fund, but it is one of the few managed funds that actually beat the market.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:33 PM, Stefan_W said:

That copy has writing on the top front. In that grade the type of defect is really important and I can see a lot of potential buyers waiting for a different copy.

capture.jpg

the writing on the top looks lik it could be a date or something to do with distribution, the "DAN" written under the R is not

On 5/8/2024 at 3:09 PM, the blob said:

BH is not an index fund, but it is one of the few managed funds that actually beat the market.

Over the long run Stocks usually bring back 9 percent. Also much more liquid than Comic books, plus no storage or insurance costs. To me they are not boring as I love my Apple and Chipotle  stocks. These stocks can buy me more comic books. lol.

On 5/8/2024 at 3:27 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Over the long run Stocks usually bring back 9 percent. Also much more liquid than Comic books, plus no storage or insurance costs. To me they are not boring as I love my Apple and Chipotle  stocks. These stocks can buy me more comic books. lol.

Rando stock picking doesn't necessarily bring back 9%, it may or it may not, could do much more or less, but yeah, the overall market has been around there, not every year, but on average. That does not mean 9% compounded though.

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2021 at 6:05 PM, Darkowl said:

It’ll be interesting to see what kind of value explosion we’ll see when Disney finally announces their plans for Wolverine. 

Marvel comics, and their fans are the worst. We should be holding their fans accountable for the recent CGC scandal, but everyone is just blaming CGC for some reason? If anything, Marvel comics values should drop a lot. I mean, Marvel is not even good. 

Edited by Martian Manhunter

On 5/8/2024 at 3:09 PM, the blob said:

I was just using it as an example of what the other half invests their money in. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/8/2024 at 4:18 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

100 percent agree. Glad someone spoke up. We Deadpool 3 bump but after that all downhill. A year from now prices be  cheaper. We all thought the Marvel movie hype would last forever. I was dumb too and fell for it, so we are not alone. Next year as a collector WE be cleaning up on deals. 

You got that right. Trends come and go, and liking Marvel was exactly that, a trend. Personally, I never liked any of the Marvel movies at all. For the past 14 years, all Marvel fans did was troll and destroy anything DC on the internet, just to force Marvel comic values to shoot up. I honestly have no respect for Marvel, or their fans. In fact, when I was a kid, I liked both DC and Marvel, but grew out of liking Marvel. I just felt like it was for little kids, and just bland and boring.

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 4:18 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

100 percent agree. Glad someone spoke up. We Deadpool 3 bump but after that all downhill. A year from now prices be  cheaper. We all thought the Marvel movie hype would last forever. I was dumb too and fell for it, so we are not alone. Next year as a collector WE be cleaning up on deals. 

Marvel died in 2009. All that's left is Disney, which also died... they killed them both. 

Anyway, by and large, we're still exploring the bottom.. and I believe it will stay like this or slightly worse until the election at least.

Edited by Q.N.S.

On 5/8/2024 at 4:26 PM, Martian Manhunter said:

Personally, I never liked any of the Marvel movies at all. 

Wow. There's something wrong with your brain, heart and soul if you didn't like ANYTHING Marvel made from 2008-2019.

If that's truly the case, I feel sorry for you.

On 5/8/2024 at 1:21 PM, Stefan_W said:

My news stand 9.8 went for 520, and the copy that was in the previous CL auction went for a couple hundred more than that. I am getting the feeling that this specific auction is kind of sucking for a lot of books. 

I think auctions for a lot of books are sucking here and there.  I wasn't even looking for the CGC 8.5 Strange Tales #158 I mentioned earlier since I had bought a 7.5 a year or so ago, and that was good enough for me, but when I saw the current bid, I decided to put in my low bid thinking "not a chance I'm going to get it", but it ended up being more than enough.  Oh well.  There were several others on my list I lost out on or didn't even bother bidding because they went for a lot more than I was going to pay as the knives continue to fall.  I was watching your auction and hoped you had broke even.  I thought there would be bidders trying to snipe it at the end and drive up the price, but it wasn't meant to be, I guess.

On 5/8/2024 at 6:26 PM, Telegan said:

I think auctions for a lot of books are sucking here and there.  I wasn't even looking for the CGC 8.5 Strange Tales #158 I mentioned earlier since I had bought a 7.5 a year or so ago, and that was good enough for me, but when I saw the current bid, I decided to put in my low bid thinking "not a chance I'm going to get it", but it ended up being more than enough.  Oh well.  There were several others on my list I lost out on or didn't even bother bidding because they went for a lot more than I was going to pay as the knives continue to fall.  I was watching your auction and hoped you had broke even.  I thought there would be bidders trying to snipe it at the end and drive up the price, but it wasn't meant to be, I guess.

Yeah, this auction has been hit and miss with bigger silvers doing fine but offer books suffering.

I am beyond breaking even on the She-Hulk book, but it would have been nice to get closer to GPA or recent sales. It is what it is. I may look back on this a few months from now and be happy that I decided to move on from it when I did - I have had this type of experience before with low sales on CL that ended up looking much better a year later. 

Lets see if feasting on low sales continues tonight on CL. My main feature tonight is a 9.6 Ghost Spider 1 Lee Variant that I sent to CL a few weeks ago. Copies in 2022 and 2023 were going for 790 and up, but there was a low sale at 620 this year which is below what 9.2s and 9.4 sometimes go for. 9.8 copies are on the rise, but there are just not a lot of sales on this book for a modern variant so no telling if that will translate into bigger competition for a 9.6.

It is sitting at $515 right now and I will be pretty annoyed extremely annoyed if it stays there. I was hoping it would land in the 700-ish range, give or take.  

On 5/8/2024 at 7:51 PM, Stefan_W said:

Lets see if feasting on low sales continues tonight on CL. My main feature tonight is a 9.6 Ghost Spider 1 Lee Variant that I sent to CL a few weeks ago. Copies in 2022 and 2023 were going for 790 and up, but there was a low sale at 620 this year which is below what 9.2s and 9.4 sometimes go for. 9.8 copies are on the rise, but there are just not a lot of sales on this book for a modern variant so no telling if that will translate into bigger competition for a 9.6.

It is sitting at $515 right now and I will be pretty annoyed extremely annoyed if it stays there. I was hoping it would land in the 700-ish range, give or take.  

Aaaaaaaand..... yeah, should have known where that was going. That is two days in a row with books I figured could go for $700-$800 landing at $500.