• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2024 at 1:13 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

PPP_IBUSC_LT3_DEC_18.jpg

Huh, yeah what I thought was a 7 could be a 1. My mistake. 

So it definitely could be distribution related, but the point that some people dont like the big numbers at the top of the cover and may not have bid because of that still stands. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 9:39 PM, DC# said:

Updated index from Swagglehaus.    Topline....further indications that we may have found a floor.   The curve continues to flatten.........flat is the new up. 

I watched it last night and was happy to see he isn't offended by opposing viewpoints.  To me these indexes/indices are kind of fun to look at, but I'm not sure I take them too seriously with the way collectibles are "traded".

And it's always a floor.... until it isn't. :D

The video Swag references is below (another guy whose channel I enjoy watching) :

Edited by Telegan

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 2:15 PM, Telegan said:

I watched it last night and was happy to see he isn't offended by opposing viewpoints.  To me these indexes/indices are kind of fun to look at, but I'm not sure I take them too seriously with the way collectibles are "traded".

The video Swag references is below (another guy whose channel I enjoy watching) :

They are both good channels. I am more on Shaun's opinion though. 

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking
Spelling

On 5/10/2024 at 11:15 AM, Telegan said:

I watched it last night and was happy to see he isn't offended by opposing viewpoints.  To me these indexes are kind of fun to look at, but I'm not sure I take them too seriously with the way collectibles are "traded".

I understand his points - but there is a difference between indexing and projecting future values.   The Nasdaq and DOW are indexes that provide a view of historic value relevant to current value but those indexes themselves do not speak to the future value.   And those indexes do not represent the entire equity market.   

So an index like Swaggle's - in my view - does provide an interesting view into where his index of books sit today vs where they have been.    And agree the collectibles can't be valued like equities because there is no real underlying stream of value creation.   But an index of commonly traded Silver, Bronze, and Copper comic books should be a good barometer of where things stand at the moment as long as the measurement is consistent.   

On 5/10/2024 at 1:15 PM, Telegan said:

I love Reserved Investments, great channel

On 5/11/2024 at 4:15 AM, Telegan said:

The cold refreshing cup of reality, drink up (thumbsu

On 5/10/2024 at 12:21 PM, DC# said:

The Nasdaq and DOW are indexes that provide a view of historic value relevant to current value but those indexes themselves do not speak to the future value.

Although I see the Dow having some relevance to the general health of the overall economy, it is clearly NOT an accurate indicator over time for the individual companies themselves.  hm

Especially with its misleading positive bias as it regularly drops companies off its Dow 30 index when they lose value and adds in companies that are on the rise.  (:

On 5/8/2024 at 11:33 AM, Stefan_W said:

That copy has writing on the top front. In that grade the type of defect is really important and I can see a lot of potential buyers waiting for a different copy.

capture.jpg

On 5/8/2024 at 12:11 PM, the blob said:

the writing on the top looks lik it could be a date or something to do with distribution, the "DAN" written under the R is not

Although I would tend to agree with both of you here, but isn't the writing already supposed to be factored into the final CGC 5.0 grade?  hm

In other words, this copy here would grade out to a much higher grade level than just CGC 5.0 if the writing was not there on the cover.  (shrug)

On 5/11/2024 at 7:08 PM, lou_fine said:

Although I would tend to agree with both of you here, but isn't the writing already supposed to be factored into the final CGC 5.0 grade?  hm

In other words, this copy here would grade out to a much higher grade level than just CGC 5.0 if the writing was not there on the cover.  (shrug)

Dates linked to distribution do not impact on the grade, but general writing on the cover does. Regardless though, some people simply do not like writing on the cover - especially large writing - regardless of why it is there and whether it was factored into the final grade. This could shrink the bidding pool and lead to lower than expected results like what we saw with this particular book.  

it was always a silly origin story.... took DC over a year to realize maybe they needed one!  Then just threw together a plot to bring them together.  Read like any of the other issues, too.    but dang, it HAS been a key for decades, so prob the 8.0 grade explains it better than the content.  How much does anyone want to pay in 2024 for a VF copy of a lesser key DC anyway?  In a pretty dead title too!

On 5/13/2024 at 7:08 PM, Aman619 said:

it was always a silly origin story.... took DC over a year to realize maybe they needed one!  Then just threw together a plot to bring them together.  Read like any of the other issues, too.    but dang, it HAS been a key for decades, so prob the 8.0 grade explains it better than the content.  How much does anyone want to pay in 2024 for a VF copy of a lesser key DC anyway?  In a pretty dead title too!

It's not terribly scarce either, but it does look sharp in grade. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/13/2024 at 7:08 PM, Aman619 said:

People obviously wanted it for quite a bit more 17 years ago which is saying something considering inflation over that time.  DC books have definitely fallen out of favor compared to back then when a bunch more people were collecting series and not just key books.  People would be shocked if they looked back at what filler type books went for 20 years ago and how far most of them have fallen since everyone concentrates on key books.

On 5/14/2024 at 10:17 AM, 1Cool said:

People obviously wanted it for quite a bit more 17 years ago which is saying something considering inflation over that time.  DC books have definitely fallen out of favor compared to back then when a bunch more people were collecting series and not just key books.  People would be shocked if they looked back at what filler type books went for 20 years ago and how far most of them have fallen since everyone concentrates on key books.

That timing also lines up with the start of the MCU. Iron Man was released in 2008 which is 16 years ago. As Marvel rose in prominence from those movies DC fell off a bit. 

Filler books were a huge deal for collectors when the hobby was all about filling out their runs. Comic shops were filled with row of boxes and people would sort through and pick out issues they need. Nowadays less people are interested in filling up their space with boxes of comics dedicated to one long run, and more and more people are just interested in picking up a couple of key issues. I figure only 10% of people who visit my booth at local shows pull out lists and try to fill out particular runs. I dont remember all of the timings since a lot of this was gradual, but I think the fall of back issues roughly lines up with the rise of the Internet and online pricing mechanisms. Lots of nuances to that story though, like how "collectable" draws people in to the hobby who are only looking to make cash. 

On 5/14/2024 at 10:30 AM, Stefan_W said:

That timing also lines up with the start of the MCU. Iron Man was released in 2008 which is 16 years ago. As Marvel rose in prominence from those movies DC fell off a bit. 

Filler books were a huge deal for collectors when the hobby was all about filling out their runs. Comic shops were filled with row of boxes and people would sort through and pick out issues they need. Nowadays less people are interested in filling up their space with boxes of comics dedicated to one long run, and more and more people are just interested in picking up a couple of key issues. I figure only 10% of people who visit my booth at local shows pull out lists and try to fill out particular runs. I dont remember all of the timings since a lot of this was gradual, but I think the fall of back issues roughly lines up with the rise of the Internet and online pricing mechanisms. Lots of nuances to that story though, like how "collectable" draws people in to the hobby who are only looking to make cash. 

If someone pulls out a physical list I'd say their average age is in the 65 range and if they have their list in digital format they usually are 50 ish.  I don't think I've seen a person under 40 have a list of filler books in quite awhile.