• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
41 41

7,901 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2024 at 10:09 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

Just questioning the methodology, i.e. what books were included, how is it being calculated, etc. If you have a bronze age index then Hulk 181 is basically your Apple, Microsoft, and Google all rolled into one, and if that book has basically done nothing over the past 5 years then how are we getting these percentages. 

I would also question if the list of books includes books that were winners in hindsight (MCU spec paid off) and maybe excludes things that people were actually buying in 2018 on MCU spec that maybe didn't pay off. 

All data is beneficial but the list from the recent ComicLink auction is pretty easy to read with all the red and a scattering of green.  ComicLink isn't the entire market but it's a very good representation of what books are selling currently via auction.  The list from the ComicLink auctions covers quite a large swath of the market from true keys to spec books to old hot books so you can't say it's biased or weighted toward one part of the market.  I looked again and the Avengers and FF4 sections are just a bloodbath :( 

On 6/3/2024 at 9:23 AM, 1Cool said:

All data is beneficial but the list from the recent ComicLink auction is pretty easy to read with all the red and a scattering of green.  ComicLink isn't the entire market but it's a very good representation of what books are selling currently via auction.  The list from the ComicLink auctions covers quite a large swath of the market from true keys to spec books to old hot books so you can't say it's biased or weighted toward one part of the market.  I looked again and the Avengers and FF4 sections are just a bloodbath :( 

Agreed, the change % vs 90 day GPA column is insane.

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 9:09 AM, 1Cool said:

Bunch and bunch of 30% and more drops on some of the biggest and best books in the industry is just sad....

Explain to me how lower prices (meaning more affordable product) is sad. Would you say the same about gasoline, sugar, butter, potatoes, shoes, refrigerators?

???

Edited by Hepcat

I'm looking closely at Acting Comics 1. Wait, ...

I'm cheap, so lower prices are great. :smile: Of course, if (when?) I sell, with my luck, the bottom will have generally fallen out. :frown:

On 6/3/2024 at 10:55 AM, Hepcat said:

Explain to me how lower prices (meaning more affordable product) is sad. Would you say that about gasoline, sugar, butter, potatoes, shoes, refrigerators?

???

If I owned a refinery or a grocery store or a Kohls or Sears (doh) then yes I think dropping prices would be a concern of mine.  Of course I'd also be a tad sad if I had large comic book collection that I had acquired in 2019 - 2023 then I think I'd also be a tad sad especially if I wanted sell in the near future.  One person's best day ever is probably somebody else's worse depending on which side of the fence you are on.

Yeah, well I'm on the side of the buyer/collector upon whom incidentally the whole comic market depends. If investors/speculators/flippers who bought in at nosebleed prices in 2019-23 are now taking a haircut, so what? Who's forcing them to sell the comic they valued so much as to pay those prices? And if they don't really cherish that comic, why did they buy it?

???

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 11:11 AM, Hepcat said:

Yeah, well I'm on the side of the buyer/collector upon whom incidentally the whole comic market depends. If investors/speculators/flippers who bought in at nosebleed prices in 2019-23 are now taking a haircut, so what? Who's forcing them to sell the comic they valued so much as to pay those prices? And if they don't really cherish that comic, why did they buy it?

???

So no "collectors" bought in a 4 year period?  Highly doubtful.  But I will agree this is a great opportunity to be buying books so I hope there is some upcoming threads about all the cool books you are buying and adding to your collection (oh, yea there is a few threads for that already).

Edited by 1Cool

On 6/3/2024 at 10:17 AM, 1Cool said:

So no "collectors" bought in a 4 year period?  Highly doubtful.  But I will agree this is a great opportunity to be buying books so I hope there is some upcoming threads about all the cool books you are buying and adding to your collection (oh, yea there is a few of them).

The logic makes no sense anyway, if I buy something for $500 that I can 5 years later buy for $5 that doesn't make me a "non-collector", that makes me frugal when I have bills to pay and to survive. $500 and $5 can mean something different in 5 years as well as to whether one should be spending on other than bills.

It is only logical.

On 6/3/2024 at 11:22 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The logic makes no sense anyway, if I buy something for $500 that I can 5 years later buy for $5 that doesn't make me a "non-collector", that makes me frugal when I have bills to pay and to survive. $500 and $5 can mean something different in 5 years as well as to whether one should be spending on other than bills.

It is only logical.

If collecting comics that you love is your only reason for being on the boards then I don't see a reason to hang out in the "hot book of the week" or contribute in the "is the market correcting" threads since it shouldn't matter to you.  Of course money does matter to 95% of the people on here regardless if you are a seller, collector or newbie.  A ton of those describing themselves are hardened "collectors" were right in the mix when books were exploding in prices and now some seem to feel like it great for the hobby to have prices nose-dive since they want to buy a few books.  Nobody is asking for a pity party but the same sad faces can be expected or even discussed compared to all the happy faces when prices where going up each month. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 10:29 AM, 1Cool said:

If collecting comics that you love is your only reason for being on the boards then I don't see a reason to hang out in the "hot book of the week" or contribute in the "is the market correcting" threads since it shouldn't matter to you.  Of course money does matter to 95% of the people on here regardless if you are a seller, collector or newbie.  A ton of those describing themselves are hardened "collectors" were right in the mix when books were exploding in prices and now some seem to feel like it great for the hobby to have prices nose-dive since they want to buy a few books.  Nobody is asking for a pity party but the same sad faces can be expected or even discussed compared to all the happy faces when prices where going up each month. 

I was more meaning it is illogical that prices going down means "hooray-time" but I agree with you. FOMO in its basic form is things were being out priced to where no one could collect, which is awfully similar to value of 0 and being thrown away and no one could collect.

They're both extremes, and it isn't beneficial to me to compare the two. All the other stuff is just jive, and or why don't people collect the way "I" do, but that is par for the course I guess.

No one is right or wrong, it is only preference and perspective that can change in an instant or be different than others. I don't disagree with you :)  @1Cool 

edit for clarity, all good, hope the needs are met for all collecting areas though within grey areas. I don't think there is a line you can't cross on the spectrum. It is a "market" after all and has ebbs and flows, that eventually get surpassed with the collecting needs up and down. No worries, it isn't too taxing yet on some. I'd be happy for a floor of stability and beyond that I don't think that "anyone saying that everything needs to go up a thousand dollars a month to flip" instead that the freefall would stop ^^ 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/3/2024 at 10:11 AM, Hepcat said:

???

Speaking for myself - the runup in prices is exactly why I stopped buying books for my collection in 2019 and have done nothing but sell since. I could no longer justify owning these books that were worth multiple months of my salary. At that point how can you not place an emphasis on the value over the sentimental/nostalgia factor? I still have some books I will likely never sell but the overall values involved are much more comfortable for me now. 

On 6/3/2024 at 11:43 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

Speaking for myself - the runup in prices is exactly why I stopped buying books for my collection in 2019 and have done nothing but sell since. I could no longer justify owning these books that were worth multiple months of my salary. At that point how can you not place an emphasis on the value over the sentimental/nostalgia factor? I still have some books I will likely never sell but the overall values involved are much more comfortable for me now. 

Are you buying back books now that book prices have gone back to where you were comfortable at?  I hope you are especially if you enjoyed them but I hear more and more that people have just moved on and don't intend to buy back most of the collection they sold during the spike in prices.

If it helps anyone?

And I'll try to type better so no edits like the last few posts lol

I'll plan to try and do a comic-con report this week Lord willing. The first post like nesting dolls will somewhat go back to 2018 or 2017 in the first post. I only started getting really good pics in 2019 or so.

Maybe we can compare prices and or etc. 

Not that dealers have minded before, well some have about pictures, but Lord willing I'll have it started Friday!

On 6/3/2024 at 10:49 AM, 1Cool said:

Are you buying back books now that book prices have gone back to where you were comfortable at?  I hope you are especially if you enjoyed them but I hear more and more that people have just moved on and don't intend to buy back most of the collection they sold during the spike in prices.

Pretty much moved on. There are a couple of books I want to buy (watching the restored Detective 29 at Heritage now) but every time the end of an auction nears I bring myself back to reality lol Bad part of having expensive taste I guess. 

On 6/2/2024 at 4:08 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

These charts are great news for people who haven't bought a single comic since 2020 I guess, or bought the right books. I bought a Hulk 181 9.2 more than 5 years ago and it is barely selling for what I paid for it, so I really question what books he is using in this "index". 

It's not his, he merely covers the information on a monthly basis. 

The Comic Book Index tracks the market value of the top 100 sold books per age category: Silver, Bronze, and Copper. We calculate the final sale value of each book Based on data from GPA (Global Price Analysis). By analyzing these numbers, we can gain insights into the overall health and trends of the comic book market.

https://www.toolify.ai/gpts/exciting-comic-book-index-update-308387

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 12:00 PM, Q.N.S. said:

It's not his, he merely covers the information on a monthly basis. 

The Comic Book Index tracks the market value of the top 100 sold books per age category: Silver, Bronze, and Copper. We calculate the final sale value of each book Based on data from GPA (Global Price Analysis). By analyzing these numbers, we can gain insights into the overall health and trends of the comic book market.

https://www.toolify.ai/gpts/exciting-comic-book-index-update-308387

The data comes from GPA so it's mostly from E-Bay which is mostly BINs which doesn't invalidate the data but it does slant it towards the higher end since BINs don't have the variations that you usually see in auctions.  The Index is a nice tool to see how key books are doing on E-Bay.  The data coming out of Comiclink doesn't look as flat as the data from the Index - take that for what it is.

Edited by 1Cool

On 6/3/2024 at 12:04 PM, 1Cool said:

The data comes from GPA so it's mostly from E-Bay which is mostly BINs which doesn't invalidate the data but it does slant it towards the higher end since BINs don't have the variations that you usually see in auctions.  The Index is a nice tool to see how key books are doing on E-Bay.  The data coming out of Comiclink doesn't look as flat as the data from the Index - take that for what it is.

When you say "mostly" from Ebay, that's really only because Ebay produces the most volume of their partners, not because they don't have other partners in the data. 

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/partners-and-suppliers/cgc-online-auction

Do you know why CL won't partner with them? I don't. 

On 6/3/2024 at 9:09 AM, 1Cool said:

After skimming over the list that is a lot of hurt for a lot of sellers.  I was expecting a good balance of red and green based on hearing Motor City was a decent selling Con and comments in this thread but all I see is a lot of red even on the far left.  Bunch and bunch of 30% and more drops on some of the biggest and best books in the industry is just sad at this point (being several years past COVID boom).  I see a couple Spidey issues that did very well but I'm hoping the second part has a whole lot more green!

The Vengeance of Bane in this list was mine, and yeah I was a little miffed at the hammer price especially with all of my books in the previous auction going for 25% and more below GPA value. But this list is not complete and depending on what books you were after the experience of this auction could easily have been that the prices were very strong. Every book I bid on went really high up until I finally picked up a Hulk 181, and I wasnt going to even bid on that one because I (along with many others) suspect the price will dip after the Deadpool movie comes out. 

On 6/3/2024 at 8:05 AM, 1Cool said:

If I owned a refinery or a grocery store or a Kohls or Sears (doh) then yes I think dropping prices would be a concern of mine.  Of course I'd also be a tad sad if I had large comic book collection that I had acquired in 2019 - 2023 then I think I'd also be a tad sad especially if I wanted sell in the near future.  One person's best day ever is probably somebody else's worse depending on which side of the fence you are on.

While I agree with you, the percentage of people that acquired their "collection" in just the last 4 years is going to be in the single digits. And by single digits I mean 1 or 2%, not 9. So sure, a very small subset of collectors are feeling sad about the last 4 years, the rest of us... meh.