• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
41 41

7,902 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2024 at 9:34 PM, Stefan_W said:

I took what I thought was a serious run at this only to get blown out of the water toward the end. These early 70s horror titles with really low census counts always go for tons at CL auctions.

capture.jpg

More undervalued comics. That's not a lot to pay for highest graded, 1 of 3. I have an hg copy kicking around.

On 9/18/2024 at 11:51 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

$365 is "tons?"

For a nothing run filler. For perspective, the last recorded sale of a 9.8 copy was for $168 in 2020 as the comic boom was taking off. For more perspective, graded 9.4-9.6 copies have gone in the 50-90 range. 

In raw numbers 365 is not a lot of money, but for the last bit of perspective my top bid was 250 otherwise I pass on it. 

On 9/19/2024 at 12:17 AM, Stefan_W said:

For a nothing run filler. For perspective, the last recorded sale of a 9.8 copy was for $168 in 2020 as the comic boom was taking off. For more perspective, graded 9.4-9.6 copies have gone in the 50-90 range. 

In raw numbers 365 is not a lot of money, but for the last bit of perspective my top bid was 250 otherwise I pass on it. 

Heard. I was putting it in context of this forum where five figures is routinely tossed around like it's the loose change bin in my vehicle.

On 9/19/2024 at 12:18 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Heard. I was putting it in context of this forum where five figures is routinely tossed around like it's the loose change bin in my vehicle.

I have a budget that more than some and less than others. As a general rule I dont like going over recent prices but I make exceptions for some Golden Age stuff I really want. 

On 9/19/2024 at 2:17 PM, Stefan_W said:

Your completely right, it's best claim to fame is a run filler.   But this book got missed, I've seen them go for way more.

The horror hunt has been hot for a while now.

image.thumb.png.b63f771a96cbb8a9cac8b39d9f9c67bb.pngimage.thumb.png.6a3d889c907cfe5d9baa1ddf8f50e45e.png

On 9/19/2024 at 3:19 AM, Microchip said:

Your completely right, it's best claim to fame is a run filler.   But this book got missed, I've seen them go for way more.

image.thumb.png.b63f771a96cbb8a9cac8b39d9f9c67bb.pngimage.thumb.png.6a3d889c907cfe5d9baa1ddf8f50e45e.png

Yeah, it certainly has been hot especially on CL. I remember seeing Weird Mystery Tales books going for X10 recent sales values there a few years ago. It was a wild ride, and it just goes to show it is all about who is doing the bidding on a particular site. 

On 9/19/2024 at 3:19 AM, Microchip said:

I'm departing the world of high grade DC Bronze horror. I started collecting it when books were going for $30 - $100. 

Now,  even the late 70s stuff is a few hundred bucks.  

I have about 20 slabs I'm planning to send to MCS and then I have 8 to 10 raws I want go get slabbed and sell. 

Time to fish in different lakes. 

On 9/18/2024 at 9:34 PM, Stefan_W said:

I took what I thought was a serious run at this only to get blown out of the water toward the end. These early 70s horror titles with really low census counts always go for tons at CL auctions.

capture.jpg

Pic is too tiny to discern the cert#  - what year was it slabbed?

On 9/19/2024 at 9:28 AM, Stefan_W said:

I didnt check, but based on the slab number it would have been late last year. 

My personal near zero tolerance is now; no purchases or bids on any post 2021 slab unless i can see in hand first or venue is buyer-centric on returns.

BTW: I contacted Clink late Aug and was not given a postive answer if they would accept returns for concaved (banana bent) books in slabs. Nor would they provide pics of slabs sides when asked. They also feigned ignorance to the entire issue then quoted their no returns on slab policy.  Not a great way to keep a customer who spends (now past tense) 5 figures a year on actual auction wins with them and on some years placed 6 figures in total bids.  I should add even on older Comic slabs I'm now done with them and will use the funds for original art at other venues.

Edited by MAY1979

On 9/19/2024 at 9:45 AM, MAY1979 said:

My personal near zero tolerance is now; no purchases or bids on any post 2021 slab unless i can see in hand first or venue is buyer-centric on returns.

BTW: I contacted Clink late Aug and was not given a postive answer if they would accept returns for concaved (banana bent) books in slabs. Nor would they provide pics of slabs sides when asked. They also feigned ignorance to the entire issue then quoted their no returns on slab policy.  Not a great to attempt to maintain a customer who spends (now past tense) 5 figures a year on actual auction wins with them and on some years placed 6 figures in bids.  I should add even on older slabs I'm now done with them and will use the funds previously for original art at other venues.

Ok, but unless I am mistaken you did not bid on the book we are taking about.

If others used that same criteria maybe it would have gone for less. Or, if even more people would have bid on it if it wasn't for the bent inner well stuff maybe it would have gone for even more. We will never know either way. All I can say is that it went for more than I thought and well above what I was willing to pay for it, and I was willing to go almost double the amount that a copy sold for in 2020. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 9/19/2024 at 9:52 AM, Stefan_W said:

Ok, but unless I am mistaken you did not bid on the book we are taking about.

If others used that same criteria maybe it would have gone for less. Or, if even more people would have bid on it if it wasn't for the bent inner well stuff maybe it would have gone for even more. We will never know either way. All I can say is that it went for more than I thought and well above what I was willing to pay for it, and I was willing to go almost double the amount that a copy sold for in 2020. 

Correct did not bid. Any cert starting with a number greater than 399 is now an instant swipe left. It may as well not exist is my opinion. Unless I can view in hand, but I'm not paying 2-3x FMV disconnected form reality con-prices for that privilege. Thus the near full pivot to original art.

BTW my in progress walk away from comics includes digests. Its no longer fun to collect slabbed comics due to the disgusting horrid treatment I and my books personally received from CGC. For those feeling similar regarding Comics, original art is the best as condition seldom means anything :)

Edited by MAY1979

Amazing prices for DC horror in high grade.

Maybe I should send this book in for a clean press and starch to remove the stacking curl along the spine .Razor sharp corners and white pages I should get a 9.8 white pages.

As long as I get more then the $30 purchase price and mooshing and grading costs I'll be rich I tells ya!

image.thumb.jpg.2dc333172b6ba1eae9169f4182e19261.jpg

Seriously though, high grade uncirculated bronze where we're talking 9.2---up is not common.

PXL_20240627_213429127_MP.thumb.jpg.d6d3995ac3bd77501a157cd2573c6adb.jpg

PXL_20240709_234454704_MP.thumb.jpg.3f8342b9fd21a236704ecfc9e0dcbfab.jpg

Joking aside buy what you like. Just remember because there's a bronze age book that's only have 3 copies in 9.8, doesn't mean they are rare in that grade automatically. There's a chance there's a bakers dozen scattered amongst a few collections.

Edited by southern cross

On 9/19/2024 at 10:39 AM, southern cross said:

Joking aside buy what you like. Just remember because there's a bronze age book that's only have 3 copies in 9.8, doesn't mean they are rare in that grade automatically. There's a chance there's a bakers dozen scattered amongst a few collections.

Yeah, this is why I brought up how little the 9.4s and 9.6s of this book go for. If a book is 9.8 or bust people may just not send it in for grading and stick with lower hanging fruit. If the price of 9.8s climbs to the point where things flip and it is worth the gamble we may see a lot more enter into the census in a short amount of time. 

On 9/19/2024 at 7:39 AM, southern cross said:

Amazing prices for DC horror in high grade.

Maybe I should send this book in for a clean press and starch to remove the stacking curl along the spine .Razor sharp corners and white pages I should get a 9.8 white pages.

As long as I get more then the $30 purchase price and mooshing and grading costs I'll be rich I tells ya!

image.thumb.jpg.2dc333172b6ba1eae9169f4182e19261.jpg

Seriously though, high grade uncirculated bronze where we're talking 9.2---up is not common.

PXL_20240627_213429127_MP.thumb.jpg.d6d3995ac3bd77501a157cd2573c6adb.jpg

PXL_20240709_234454704_MP.thumb.jpg.3f8342b9fd21a236704ecfc9e0dcbfab.jpg

I hear you and agree however, 1) this applies to any age book (there could be NM/MT copies of FF1 and Hulk1 sitting buried in someone's closet) and 2) it really doesn't matter. The fact that more may exist somewhere and may come to market at some point is irrelevant to the here and now. They may also stay buried and they may come to market in 30 years when whoever is buying them today is out of the hobby or dead. It's all about what is available to the market today

On a related note, if a book that sells for good money, only has 2 or 3 copies in 9.8 in over 20 years of slabbing, there is a pretty good chance that, while others may surface, it won't be a huge amount that all of a sudden come to market. Marvel Spotlight 5 is an extreme example of this. In 9.8 it's a quarter million book (at least). Do other 9.8s exist? Probably. Will there be another 20 slabbed in the next 10 years? Possible but highly unlikely given only 5 have been in the last 24 years.

On 9/18/2024 at 6:34 PM, Stefan_W said:

capture.jpg

Is it just me or is this just... well let's say, not Neal's best work? Neal's stuff usually stands out immediately as "that's Neal Adams work" but this? I keep thinking he didn't actually do this cover.