• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,989 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2023 at 2:06 PM, Robot Man said:

I am old and retired. I might have lots of white hair but am far from overweight or disabled. I will run right over most of you young wippersnappers for an interesting box of GA…:roflmao:

I'm 6'4 and 250 lbs so for the safety of your hips please don't try to run me over.  I tire easily so running around me would be a good strategy.

Side note - I really, really hate those huge backpacks people seemed to have made a staple at any Con.  Most of us are not small and when you factor a 3 foot wide backpack on everyone's shoulder it just gets obnoxious.  I remember a few people with them a decade ago and now it seems like these roadblocks are everywhere.  Ban the backpacks!

Edited by 1Cool

On 2/23/2023 at 2:21 PM, 1Cool said:

Side note - I really, really hate those huge backpacks people seemed to have made a staple at any Con.  Most of us are not small and when you factor a 3 foot wide backpack on everyone's shoulder it just gets obnoxious.  I remember a few people with them a decade ago and now it seems like these roadblocks are everywhere.  Ban the backpacks!

Don't you want people buying a bunch of stuff?

On 2/23/2023 at 7:40 PM, COI said:

"Demography is destiny". This is likely the peak, not just because of the MCU or the saturation of superheroes in the culture generally, but because of demographics. At this moment we have 4 generations of collectors overlapping: boomers, gen x, millennials and zoomers. The boomers are the largest and wealthiest generation,  both inside and outside the context of the comic book market. They're the ones who got in on the ground floor and have most of the best books/collections, with much of that material acquired for pennies on the dollar many years ago. 

On the other end, the zoomers are the smallest generation. Again, both inside and outside the context of the hobby, they're a fraction of the size and they're going to have a fraction of the wealth. Aside from a lucky few who may inherit a boomer or gen x'er collection at some point, the ones who want to collect are going to have to do so from scratch, buying in at high tide. 

The Gen x'ers and millennials are are a large group and they may (emphasis on may) be able to absorb all of the incredible books that are going to be hitting the market in the next 10-15 years as the boomers exit, but there's close to zero chance that the zoomers will constitute a replacement generation for the boomers. It isn't happening.

You can count heads all you want at the next con or the next 20 cons and you can keep telling yourselves that certain books (GA and pre-'64 SA!!) will always be safe, but it's just a question of 'when' not 'if' this will no longer be true. It's not because comics aren't great, or culturally significant; the numbers just don't work. Collecting appears to be as much an innate temperament as it is "just a hobby", so sure, there will be youngsters who have that temperament, and their nostalgia for whatever they're consuming on Disney + might drive them to want to collect the source material. As a generation, however, they just won't have the numbers or the resources to replace the three generations that came before them. And they certainly won't have the same sensibilities, so you can't assume they'll care for war propaganda, or robots carrying women off into the sunset, or "good girl art", or gratuitous pre-code violence, or whatever else you think is safe, even if those books only have ____ number on the census. 

This is why I think we're in peak times. I'm not suggesting all prices across the board will never hit 2021 levels again, but this window of stacking generations is closing. No one knows what's going to happen, but you can't deny the confluence of extraordinary circumstances in the last few years. Hard to see how this perfect storm ever gets replicated again, or how circumstances can change in the future to facilitate substantial and consistent growth for the market in the coming decades.

I  will eagerly await this magical time when I can buy Startling Comics 49 for 10 bucks...

"Demography is destiny". This is likely the peak, not just because of the MCU or the saturation of superheroes in the culture generally, but because of demographics. At this moment we have 4 generations of collectors overlapping: boomers, gen x, millennials and zoomers. The boomers are the largest and wealthiest generation,  both inside and outside the context of the comic book market. They're the ones who got in on the ground floor and have most of the best books/collections, with much of that material acquired for pennies on the dollar many years ago. 

On the other end, the zoomers are the smallest generation. Again, both inside and outside the context of the hobby, they're a fraction of the size and they're going to have a fraction of the wealth. Aside from a lucky few who may inherit a boomer or gen x'er collection at some point, the ones who want to collect are going to have to do so from scratch, buying in at high tide. 

The Gen x'ers and millennials are are a large group and they may (emphasis on may) be able to absorb all of the incredible books that are going to be hitting the market in the next 10-15 years as the boomers exit, but there's close to zero chance that the zoomers will constitute a replacement generation for the boomers. It isn't happening.

You can count heads all you want at the next con or the next 20 cons and you can keep telling yourselves that certain books (GA and pre-'64 SA!!) will always be safe, but it's just a question of 'when' not 'if' this will no longer be true. It's not because comics aren't great, or culturally significant; the numbers just don't work. Collecting appears to be as much an innate temperament as it is "just a hobby", so sure, there will be youngsters who have that temperament, and their nostalgia for whatever they're consuming on Disney + might drive them to want to collect the source material. As a generation, however, they just won't have the numbers or the resources to replace the three generations that came before them. And they certainly won't have the same sensibilities, so you can't assume they'll care for war propaganda, or robots carrying women off into the sunset, or "good girl art", or gratuitous pre-code violence, or whatever else you think is safe, even if those books only have ____ number on the census. 

This is why I think we're in peak times. I'm not suggesting all prices across the board will never hit 2021 levels again, but this window of stacking generations is closing. No one knows what's going to happen, but you can't deny the confluence of extraordinary circumstances in the last few years. Hard to see how this perfect storm ever gets replicated again, or how circumstances can change in the future to facilitate substantial and consistent growth for the market in the coming decades.

I read this post in 2004 or whenever I joined these boards...

On 2/23/2023 at 9:06 PM, the blob said:

Why on earth do you think boomers are still sitting on their collections? Maybe late boomers. Where do you think all that cheap SA in the 70s - 80s (and 90s) was coming from? Boomers selling off their collections. Who do you think my local comic shop was getting keys from in the 90s? The Boomers who needed to pay for kids college, buy drugs, got laid off, whatever. No doubt there are ome affluent ones who did not need to sell, but the notion that there are all these Boomers with closets full of FF 1- 100 and ASM 1 - 100 who have been waiting SINCE THE 60s and 70s to time this market and unload them now, when the average age of a baby boomer is 67, is silly. These folks had lot of opportunities to sell. Now my generation, that's another issue, all those guys 50-55 who bought the Boomers' books cheap in 1980-95....  ... My older brother sold most of his SA collection (mostly bought in the 70s)  in the mid 80s to buy weed....

I didn't say that. I said the boomers constitute the largest generation of collectors, and the ones who are still around have been at it for a long time. Of course lots of them bought and sold and bought again since the '60s and '70s but if you bought in the '90s or early 2000s, you bought for pennies on the dollar relative to today on a lot of the most popular books. 

On 2/23/2023 at 9:08 PM, the blob said:

I read this post in 2004 or whenever I joined these boards...

This doesn't refute anything I said about the changing demographics. Actually, it doesn't say anything at all.

The same demographics hold for any collectible, or stock investments, or real estate, etc... sounds like the end times are coming! :whatthe:

I collected coins and currency when the demographics were 10 times worse and prices kept going up as the retirees kept buying. How many here are retired and buying?  Will you all please just stop so I can get my books cheaper?  No?

And now the echo boomers are just reaching the age where they can seriously bid against me. great.

Edited by Westy Steve

On 2/23/2023 at 9:27 PM, COI said:

This doesn't refute anything I said about the changing demographics. Actually, it doesn't say anything at all.

Yeah, folks then were saying it was gonna happen in the next 2-5 years back then. My response was the same then,. As I said, I am more concerned about my generation. The age on this board is heavily in the 47-55 range. GenX. In 7-15 years we are going to want to retire. Right now our kids are going to college (possibly a bigger concern). We fueled the comic craze in the early 90s. I dunno who fueled the hike in prices from 2017-2021, maybe us. maybe older millenials, I dunno.