• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,472 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2024 at 8:45 AM, rsouxlja7 said:

To me the price I paid for a book is irrelevant if my proceeds from a book ends up being 2/3 of what it could have been. I think most people are the same way and start price anchoring what could have been. I owned my TMNT1 since around 2016 and I would not have been happy if it sold for 12K when I could've sold it for 18K a few months earlier. 

Mum Mumprobs GIF

how is anyone supposed to time the top and bottom of the market?

On 7/3/2024 at 11:06 AM, Buzzetta said:

I look at it this way.  If I bought a book for $22,000 and at one point they were selling for $150,000 and now they are selling for $85,000 I am still happy with myself.   There are other things to be more upset over. 

What if you bought a book 5-6 years ago for 20K and the last sale was 18K :cry:

It's not that bad really, though it is a buyers market, the first I feel we've had in 10+ years. I have about 130 key "investment" books, some major some minor. Of those, 36 have lost value, but I'm still sitting at about 40% return if I sold everything right now. I don't think key prices will fall much further as we head into the full Con season. Now what the election will do to the economy, deities only know

On 7/3/2024 at 11:52 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Agreed... you'd be a pretty miserable stock investor if you fretted over missing the highs...

I look at it a different way - you'd be a bad stock investor if you had stock worth $150K and didn't sell until it dropped to $85K like in that example lol. 

The truth is a lot of these comic books will not come back to their highs.  What was hot in 2019 to 2021 isn`t hot now. People are fickle. The movie hype is over. I would expect lower prices a year from now.  Good time to be a buyer and collector of comics. 

On 7/3/2024 at 5:54 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Really?  There were plenty of stocks that dropped that percentage or more after the internet crash, the financial crash, the covid crash.  All people panic selling.  I held throughout all those periods, and in fact bought even more, and my portfolio today is at an all-time high. Trying to time the market generally leads to bad results.

Every single silver and bronze key I own is probably 50% down from the covid high.  Having been steadily buying since the 1970s and generally holding throughout all the ups and downs that preceded this one, I am losing no sleep at all over it. 

Best time to buy. 2008 was a great year for some. I remember buying Wendy`s stock for less than a burger. Also getting Bank of America stock real low. 

On 7/3/2024 at 7:26 PM, thehumantorch said:

Sorry, not in my book.

Then you don't know what a market is.

Everything tangible, and many things intangible, are commodities. And each commodity has its own market, if ever bought, sold, or traded. 

Even trash. There is probably a going rate (market rate) that power plants pay for municipal trash to burn as an energy source.

For any item that has a value, there is a market. Most comics have at least some value, even if only 10 cents. And a few in the millions of dollars. There's definitely a comic market.

Edited by Lightning55

On 7/3/2024 at 6:38 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Best time to buy. 2008 was a great year for some. I remember buying Wendy`s stock for less than a burger. Also getting Bank of America stock real low. 

If you had some spare funds, you could ride Lucent from 70cents to 2 dollars a share, cycle was taking roughly a year, for 5 years I think it lasted. Wendy's was less than a value meal. but for someone who noticed that Wendy's had snagged the CFO of Toyota, it was basically a no-brainer. You just can't sit there like pond slime and expect the future to come to you. Like with many things, the trick isn't always when to get in, but when to get out. We have to open our eyes, pay attention, and keep our "feelings" out of it. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 7/3/2024 at 7:37 PM, Lightning55 said:

Then you don't know what a market is.

Everything tangible, and many things intangible, are commodities. And each commodity has its own market, if ever bought, sold, or traded. 

Even trash. There is probably a going rate (market rate) that power plants pay for municipal trash to burn as an energy source.

For any item that has a value, there is a market. Most comics have at least some value, even if only 10 cents. And a few in the millions of dollars. There's definitely a comic market.

I think the key is unregulated, comics are, at best, a kiddie market. Still heap big fun. Try getting a loan for that "million" dollar comic. It can be done, but real estate it ain't. GOD BLESS ...

On 7/3/2024 at 7:50 PM, jimjum12 said:

I think the key is unregulated, comics are, at best, a kiddie market. Still heap big fun. Try getting a loan for that "million" dollar comic. It can be done, but real estate it ain't. GOD BLESS ...

Very few markets are regulated, in the scope of all markets worldwide. It would severely constrain free trade.

The main reason some markets are regulated is to prevent abuse.

On 7/3/2024 at 7:58 PM, Lightning55 said:

Very few markets are regulated, in the scope of all markets worldwide. It would severely constrain free trade.

The main reason some markets are regulated is to prevent abuse.

You understand the point. GOD BLESS ...

We're not talking about the likes of the live chicken market in Zimbabwe.

On 7/3/2024 at 2:03 PM, october said:

That sort of thinking will drive you insane if you let it. No one can time the market perfectly. 

yep

Buy at your target price, sell at your target price. Is the advice i was given on stocks many years ago.  Since i don't sell comics I always want their price to drop.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/3/2024 at 6:38 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Yep BOA. JPMorgan Chase dropped down to around $21 in 2007, the dividend alone has now reached $5 a share... Of course buying WAMU in 2007 would not have been as rewarding...

I took Buffets advice in late 2007 and put whatever I could into a quality S&P 500 fund and left it there. I maxed out my 401k contributions as well back then and it's paid off nicely!  I was very fortunate/blessed during the financial crisis to have a job in a field which at that time was on rock solid footing.

Edited by MAR1979