• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Borock says CGC cases need to be changed every 8-10 years
3 3

221 posts in this topic

Last night Steve Borock went onto Economics in Comics YouTube channel (the most immature 'influencer' on YT). Steve mentioned how CBCS cases are one-and-done / never need reslabbing and that CGC cases have to be changed out every 8-10 years because they don't let the book "breathe". I was taken back because I never heard this and he quickly moved on to something else. Has anyone heard this before? Is Steve correct?

27 minutes ago, Mikey C said:

Last night Steve Borock went onto Economics in Comics YouTube channel (the most immature 'influencer' on YT). Steve mentioned how CBCS cases are one-and-done / never need reslabbing and that CGC cases have to be changed out every 8-10 years because they don't let the book "breathe". I was taken back because I never heard this and he quickly moved on to something else. Has anyone heard this before? Is Steve correct?

Link?

Personally, I would take it with a grain of salt. 

Looking at the information on their website for Raw Grading it says the graded books are “placed in a Mylar bag with a backing board. “

But further down they state that this service is “not meant to provide long-term protection for comics

That seems like an odd thing to say because unless they’re using some kind of sub-standard Mylar, Mylar bag/board has typically been viewed as the standard for long-term storage by collectors. 

Or it could just be hucksterism to drive customers to the more expensive  encapsulation service and use Raw Grading as the pre-screen fail alternative...which, in fact, the very next paragraph encourages. 

I think this is probably more of the same. 

Just now, That Was Quick said:

Fixed!

Love your Quick Draw avatar. I think Borock is correct in that Cgc slabs should be changed out every 8 years. Have seen 1950s comics with fragile spines and creamy paper have the spine almost disintegrate while in the slab. One would only notice if one cracked the comic out (to choke * read) though.

1 minute ago, That Was Quick said:

"Quick on the draw, I thought I'd be dead, he put the gun to my head and this is what he said:"

My name is mca, I got a license to kill. I think you know what time it is, it's time to get ill!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just now, That Was Quick said:

I thought the main "7 years" argument centered around the MC paper?

That's what I recalled, as well.  A change of the MC paper was needed to maintain the acidity levels low rather than the breathability of the inner well.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:
1 hour ago, That Was Quick said:

Fixed!

Love your Quick Draw avatar. I think Borock is correct in that Cgc slabs should be changed out every 8 years. Have seen 1950s comics with fragile spines and creamy paper have the spine almost disintegrate while in the slab. One would only notice if one cracked the comic out (to choke * read) though.

But couldn't that have been poor storage conditions? The CGC case doesn't protect comics from heat and humidity, for example. 

Edited by Jeffro.

3 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

But couldn't that have been a poor storage conditions? The CGC case doesn't protect comics from heat and humidity, for example. 

Storage conditions were stable in a dark basement in Canada. No humidity, light :S or extreme heat problems.

3 minutes ago, That Was Quick said:

Now what do we have here? An outlaw and his beer?

"we" run this land, you understand, I made myself clear .... :tink: 

had to make a sammich