• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Borock says CGC cases need to be changed every 8-10 years
3 3

221 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Didn't read through this thread, but I do remember this being a lifespan of 7 years, and the microchamber paper also having something to do with it. 

It was initially all about swapping out the micro chamber paper.  There was never any shelf life on the slab itself. 

7 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Is this the place to be today? I can't decide between this thread and all the :ohnoez: going on in the trading card forum.

When confused or torn between the two go with trading cards.  That's all new drama.  People like you and I have seen this drama play out already. 

11 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

It was initially all about swapping out the micro chamber paper.  There was never any shelf life on the slab itself. 

Not so sure with Barex. So I'd err on the side of caution with any slabs after the plant closure, and CGC using a different material for it's inner well. Keep also in mind that the hard outer shell itself uses a blue pigment that offsets the kind of yellow discouration that is likely to occur. May not be for another 10-15 years, but I personally wouldn't go as far as giving the outer case the all clear. There's top loaders I have from the 90's that have all yellowed, and keeping anything in them when they start to become discoloured is unwise. 

Edited by comicwiz

7 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Restoration includes.  Molecules reassembled . 

Molecule Man, Molecule Man, Doing The Things A Molecule Can⦠â Gabbing Geek

1 hour ago, kav said:

If comics were as fragile as Borock seems to think no books would have survived from the GA.
None.

I will second that, it depends on the book and the page or staple condition, if brittle pages, it might be wise to change out every 5/7 years for sure

2 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I will second that, it depends on the book and the page or staple condition, if brittle pages, it might be wise to change out every 5/7 years for sure

if you have action #1 I would change daily.

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:
11 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Is this the place to be today? I can't decide between this thread and all the :ohnoez: going on in the trading card forum.

When confused or torn between the two go with trading cards.  That's all new drama.  People like you and I have seen this drama play out already. 

I was disappointed when I read this earlier and went to check the card forum, but it's getting better now!

10 hours ago, mattn792 said:
12 hours ago, Mikey C said:

Last night Steve Borock went onto Economics in Comics YouTube channel (the most immature 'influencer' on YT). Steve mentioned how CBCS cases are one-and-done / never need reslabbing and that CGC cases have to be changed out every 8-10 years because they don't let the book "breathe". I was taken back because I never heard this and he quickly moved on to something else. Has anyone heard this before? Is Steve correct?

So let's recap - per Borock, company Borock used to be affiliated with substandard, company Borock now affiliated with superior.

GTFOH.

Well, this is for the newbies here who obviously were not around when Steve was in charge of CGC.  :gossip:

Although this is probably the first time I remember him pointing this out about the CGC slabs since he's gone to the new company, he actually brought up this same point on a regular ongoing basis when he was with CGC.  Especially in terms of the need to change out the microchamber paper every 7 years or thereabouts.  (thumbsu