• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve Borock says CGC cases need to be changed every 8-10 years
3 3

221 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, kav said:

The two drivers of paper degradation are oxygen and water.  There are two principal chemical degradation pathways of paper: acid-catalysed hydrolysis and oxidation. Letting the paper "breath" so the "bad molecules" leave is ludicrous-you are just introducing more O2 and moisture.  

OK this is my last word on this - blather away all you want. I can throw concepts out as well like the process of strengthening newsprint by impregnating the paper with a methyl-cellulose solution under a vacuum environment. And we are talking about NEWSPRINT, which is inherently acidic due to its method of manufacture. 

Just now, PovertyRow said:

OK this is my last word on this - blather away all you want. I can throw concepts out as well like the process of strengthening newsprint by impregnating the paper with a methyl-cellulose solution under a vacuum environment. And we are talking about NEWSPRINT, which is inherently acidic due to its method of manufacture. 

It still needs to be hydrolyzed even if it is acidic.
I've said my piece for those that can understand.  Believe what you want.

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

So.....

Are my encapsulated comics going to disintegrate or not?

nope