• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your greatest CGC disappointment?
1 1

164 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MicroJow said:

I've only been sending books in to be graded for a short while now, but I've already received several disappointing returns: 3 books with the dreaded RESTORED label which I had no idea had any restoration done. Granted, I purchased these books back in the mid 1980s when I had no idea "restoration" was even a thing. I was just trying to fill holes in my collection. Here's the one that broke my heart, tho:

FF5.jpg

It’s already a 3, remove the color touch, press and grade again :preach:

On 5/7/2021 at 6:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

Nothing surprises me anymore 

I agree. This has one of those Ewer/Dupcak feels to it. Sure if he made a YouTube of it , that it would resemble one of those videos where people try to fix everything with Glue and Ramen Noodles.  Still not sure why he would broadcast this? 

Very disappointing to see more and more attempts to get things by or over. Especially when CGC is so overwhelmed. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Horrid predictive text.

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

By doing what I described in an effort to get a blue label?

They're able to get it removed from purple books. I don't think their stated goal is blue, but when I asked about how they do it they said that when you know what you're doing and you do it well, you can sub a book and trimming won't even come up, even if it's actually been trimmed. 

Edited by MatterEaterLad

Just now, MatterEaterLad said:

They're able to get it removed from purple books. I don't think their stated goal is blue, but when I asked about how they do it they said that when you know what you're doing and you do it well you can sub a book and trimming won't even come up, even if it's actually been trimmed. 

Sounds exactly like what I described.  You submit a book with "marvel chipping" to mask the trimming.   The same person that told me about this also told me about taking a detached centerfold and dismantling the book and switching the centerfold with the wrap behind it.  That way the pages are out of order but the detached centerfold is now anchored in.  This is under the assumption that graders do not read stories they simply count pages. 

Again, I stared in disbelief. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Me: Another reason I am thinking of getting out.

Also Me: What else can I grab on Comiclink tonight ? 

I know right... 

Funny I was just looking through that a minute ago. Although last one that just wrapped up ended up only winning 1 book most of the others set all new highs.  Did you see that Spider-man 1 Platinum or the Batman Beyond direct 9.8 ?!?!?

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Sounds exactly like what I described.  You submit a book with "marvel chipping" to mask the trimming.   The same person that told me about this also told me about taking a detached centerfold and dismantling the book and switching the centerfold with the wrap behind it.  That way the pages are out of order but the detached centerfold is now anchored in.  This is under the assumption that graders do not read stories they simply count pages. 

Whoa :o

I think what Hero is doing is that they leaf cast a new edge, match the color, and then re-trim back to the original specs. But they're able to get the paper to match so it's virtually undetectable. Which is cool and also scary.

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
4 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

They're able to get it removed from purple books. I don't think their stated goal is blue, but when I asked about how they do it they said that when you know what you're doing and you do it well you can sub a book and trimming won't even come up, even if it's actually been trimmed. 

It takes all kinds and knows no bounds... 

This is just disappointing. 

6 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I know right... 

Funny I was just looking through that a minute ago. Although last one that just wrapped up ended up only winning 1 book most of the others set all new highs.  Did you see that Spider-man 1 Platinum or the Batman Beyond direct 9.8 ?!?!?

$2300 ?!?!?!?!?!  A 9.6-9.4 must be worth at least half of that right? 

lol I remember when I was standing next to a board member at NYCBM and he shook his head at me for buying a copy for $30.  My copy Of Batman Beyond has a shot I think at a 9.6 - 9.8.

Edited by Buzzetta

Just now, Buzzetta said:

lol I remember when I was standing next to a board member at NYCBM and he shook his head at me for buying a copy for $30.  My copy Of Batman Beyond has a shot I think at a 9.6 - 9.8.

I know. About 6 months ago I bought a lot off ebay of batman adventures books that had one just tossed in it. Think it may be 8ish maybe 9 if pressed, but I do not even remember seeing it in the ebay pictures. The whole lot I got for $25 free shipping.  

4 hours ago, MicroJow said:

I've only been sending books in to be graded for a short while now, but I've already received several disappointing returns: 3 books with the dreaded RESTORED label which I had no idea had any restoration done. Granted, I purchased these books back in the mid 1980s when I had no idea "restoration" was even a thing. I was just trying to fill holes in my collection. Here's the one that broke my heart, tho:

FF5.jpg

Before I even read this thread.

If you bought this book in 1980's.....:news: I am sure you are doing okay even in this PLOD grade :shy:

7 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Before I even read this thread.

If you bought this book in 1980's.....:news: I am sure you are doing okay even in this PLOD grade :shy:

I'm not so much concerned about the value difference between blue and purple - at least not for myself since I wasn't getting it graded to sell it. This will get passed on to my kid eventually. Getting it graded was more about keeping it safe and preserved. But it was still a surprise to see that "Restored" alert once it got through the grading. I guess one of it's previous owners took a ballpoint to it in order to fill in some color breaking folds.

28 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I'm rich

26 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I know. About 6 months ago I bought a lot off ebay of batman adventures books that had one just tossed in it. Think it may be 8ish maybe 9 if pressed, but I do not even remember seeing it in the ebay pictures. The whole lot I got for $25 free shipping.  

I'm rich