• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your greatest CGC disappointment?
1 1

164 posts in this topic

Just now, Buzzetta said:

My passport came today.  Is the speed limit in Canada still 140 mph? 

Ummmm....no

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It irks me that incomplete doesnt get green!

Cause most 0.5s are incomplete oye !

It looks like it got the regular sig series label, which to me is much better than a Qualified sig series. And I've noticed that even though books with tape aren't considered resto and allegedly don't affect the grade, tape and tape stains do appear to play a role in the final evaluation...

2 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

It looks like it got the regular sig series label, which to me is much better than a Qualified sig series. And I've noticed that even though books with tape aren't considered resto and allegedly don't affect the grade, tape and tape stains do appear to play a role in the final evaluation...

Yes we've determined that they grade as if the tape isnt there

Or

If the tape doesnt serve a purpose then it is downgraded for tape 

The issue wouldnt be so much the pressing bumping it up

It would be the tape removal and any damage or purpose for it, it looks to me color and part of the wording would peel off, so I'm not really ready to risk it.

5 hours ago, MicroJow said:

I've only been sending books in to be graded for a short while now, but I've already received several disappointing returns: 3 books with the dreaded RESTORED label which I had no idea had any restoration done. Granted, I purchased these books back in the mid 1980s when I had no idea "restoration" was even a thing. I was just trying to fill holes in my collection. Here's the one that broke my heart, tho:

This is still a nice presenting low grade copy. The small amount of color touch could probably be removed without severely impacting the grade if you ever wanted to get a blue label, but the tape could be a different story. It still seems to be a very respectable copy...  :golfclap:

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm just glad that its complete, that alone should give it the grade bump, but I'm thinking the cover may detached if take were removed, ige still had 2.0 cover detachment books so idk

Cant believe I said that, wishful thinking of course, but I dont know about just being complete "having to be above .5"

I just meant complete means worth considering, but the tape is a non starter, as the effects may not be redeemable and so on lol

My biggest continuing disappointment has all been related to restoration check.

Sent in a book with a CGC label that said it was trimmed on the top. Came back trimmed on the bottom instead. This tells me that someone checking for restoration doesn't know what they're doing and we're the ones dealing with their ineptitude. Some people are fine with these vagaries but I'm not. I'm not paying for someone to guess. If they can't definitively call it resto then leave it off the label. I sent in a book that had been professionally restored. I had a corner repaired with leaf casting (like 1/4") and it came back trimmed. I argued that trimming excess leaf casting back to the original dimensions isn't trimming. I even put the before and after scans on top of each other using layers in Photoshop showing that the book is the exact same dimension--right down to the pixel. Customer service could't explain it and didn't speak to the grader. 

Two other restored books that I'd submitted that year had changes on the label. I politely expressed my concerns to customer service and they politely told me there's nothing they can do and that graders make mistakes.  

Then I sent a purple book in for a signing and voila, it came back blue.

Felt like an NBA ref making up for a bad call. 

Edited by MatterEaterLad

Their continuing failure to correctly label non-US publications.

Current turn around times appear to be a disaster for those who submit and yet CGC send out in-house signing opportunities on a weekly basis, increasing the traffic and, presumably, impacting TATS still further. Everything seems to be about making the most money in the shortest time at the moment. The lack of attention to correct labelling however leaves a permanent record as well as creating confusion in the marketplace. It's a shame that accuracy is taking a back seat to growth.

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Yellow with no resto. It magically disappeared. 

Did the signature overlap a color touch or something?