• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your greatest CGC disappointment?
1 1

164 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Did the signature overlap a color touch or something?  

I don't think so. When I deslabbed the book to window bag it I searched for the CT, with a black light and a 60x magnifier, and I couldn't find anything.

I wasn't shocked that it came back blue, more disappointed that it came back purple the first time.

I've never had a problem with submissions to CGC, though I've only sent 6[?] books. This is, I'm hoping, just a minor disappointment, but I won't know until I go to a show where CGC has a booth.

A few years ago I purchased the ASM #1 CGC 2.0 that MCS had up for some time iirc. The obvious red flags are the cut out pieces from the cover. The logo clearly rules out the GRR version, so the question remained if it was a pence copy. Naturally I wasn't going to crack it out myself, even though the comic had been discussed on these forums with images. After some communication between MCS and CGC, I sent it to MCS who then sent it to CGC to verify the indicia shows it to be a US copy. I also requested that if it is, I wanted it returned raw so I can see it for myself and show others. If it was a pence, MCS would replace with another copy they had that we both felt was agreeably comparable. 

CGC quickly (walk through, perhaps) said it was a US copy, but then re-slabbed it before returning it to me, so now I'm in the same spot I was before lol I'm not saying anyone is/was lying, but even MCS (in our messages) was unaware of the difference between the two without my explanation, and sheet happens at CGC.

I really don't want to send it through the mail again, so when I bring it to a booth I'm going to have them crack it so it can finally be settled. If it's a pence, I'll have CGC to verify to MCS. Hopefully this year, but (shrug)

First World Problem, but then I'm also wondering how the difference in prices between then and now will affect this in a worst-case scenario, and who exactly at that point will be responsible. I was told by CGC this would be treated as a verification, and not just a sub.

Edited by MR SigS

On 5/7/2021 at 1:15 PM, MicroJow said:

I've only been sending books in to be graded for a short while now, but I've already received several disappointing returns: 3 books with the dreaded RESTORED label which I had no idea had any restoration done. Granted, I purchased these books back in the mid 1980s when I had no idea "restoration" was even a thing. I was just trying to fill holes in my collection. Here's the one that broke my heart, tho:

Yeah, that would most definitely be a big hit since I consider FF 5 to be one of the most key SA books out there, and pretty much the only SA book that I was hoping to acquire for my personal collection back in the day.  Sadly, never did managed to pick one up before the prices for it moved past what I was willing to pay for a copy of one.  :(

Any idea if the dealer or person you had brought the book from was even aware that there was color touch on the cover?  If you was collecting at that time, I am a bit surprised that you was not aware of restoration back then.  Especially since restoration was seen as actually ADDING VALUE to an unrestored book for several years back then during the late 70's and very early 80's.  I guess much like how current activities auch as pressing and cleaning have now been deemed as also adding value to an unrestored book ever since it was outed on the boards here about 15+ years ago. :ohnoez:

Which always makes me wonder what would happen to the value of pressed books if say 20 years from now with the rapidly improving technology, they come up with a fast and cost effective method to identify artifical pressing.  Just imagine another grading company coming in and differentiating pressed books from the untouched virgin books due to the overwhelming marketplace demand.  Needless to say, that would definitely be a huge game changer in the comic book marketplace with the unpressed "virgin" books surging even much higher in value due to high demand coupled with a low supply, while the once uber HG pressed copies would most likely end up selling for only fractions of what they once sold for due to low demand coupled with a huge supply.  hm  

Edited by lou_fine

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Which always makes me wonder what would happen to the value of pressed books if say 20 years from now with the rapidly improving technology, they come up with a fast and cost effective method to identify artifical pressing.  Just imagine another grading company coming in and differentiating pressed books from the untouched virgin books due to the overwhelming marketplace demand.  Needless to say, that would definitely be a huge game changer in the comic book marketplace with the unpressed "virgin" books surging even much higher in value due to high demand coupled with a low supply, while the once uber HG pressed copies would most likely end up selling for only fractions of what they once sold for due to low demand coupled with a huge supply.  hm  

Don't quote me on this.......but I could swear I remember reading in the card forum (or perhaps in an article linked there) that one of the card grading companies is developing an automated computer grading system that would even be able to detect if a card had been pressed.  

This technology is being developed and it appears that it's going to have incredible capabilities.....much better than the human element can provide.  It's also going to let them grade cards at a much faster rate.

If that can be applied to cards......how long before the technology makes its way to comics?

3 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Don't quote me on this.......but I could swear I remember reading in the card forum (or perhaps in an article linked there) that one of the card grading companies is developing an automated computer grading system that would even be able to detect if a card had been pressed.  

This technology is being developed and it appears that it's going to have incredible capabilities.....much better than the human element can provide.  It's also going to let them grade cards at a much faster rate.

If that can be applied to cards......how long before the technology makes its way to comics?

I for one will welcome our computer grading overlords.

Not sure if I should be disappointed in CGC or myself but this is my most disappointing submission so far.

Bought this raw off the wall of a LCS about 8 years ago for $50.00.  My guess was that it was in the 9.0 range... I was more concerned about the PQ.  Sent it through CCS the end of last year and grade date was this year.

Even with a loupe I still don’t see the crease or the staining.  Not an authority enough on this age of books to accuse anyone of making a mistake.  Just seems to look too good for a 5.5 though!  At least it has WP!!

45DC3C98-B506-4A55-B4ED-24FE4DB85C60.thumb.jpeg.d43c6013a811967b6da84c12de99479e.jpeg

7C3E1666-8625-429F-A2E9-BDFE94656928.thumb.jpeg.32461a67e6772554061287fbc172f7ce.jpeg

Spoiler

7683EE4D-1D68-411C-8115-B9524C46DB92.jpeg.aea5134ebe0494f9a38bc54781668931.jpeg

On 5/8/2021 at 1:26 PM, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

I know this is minor but I've never had moderns come back 9.6's, ever. These were a sure bet 9.8 imo. I'll crack and resub once the backlog cools down a bit (batman and asm). :pullhair:

PXL_20210508_172026748.thumb.jpg.8cf40a98a5c6aa8dfdf75f26a1ed660a.jpg

You should check the grader notes on that Marc Spector Moon Knight 57.  I just got back 3 of these with a 9.6 and the grader notes say scratch on the back bottom right side on all 3.  It was clearly not a scratch, but instead a light printed line right from the press.  I sent back all 3 for appearance review with proof from Ebay listings that show that this particular issue has the same printed line in the same exact spot.  Huge disappointment...

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Which always makes me wonder what would happen to the value of pressed books if say 20 years from now with the rapidly improving technology, they come up with a fast and cost effective method to identify artifical pressing.  Just imagine another grading company coming in and differentiating pressed books from the untouched virgin books due to the overwhelming marketplace demand.  

Here's the thread I was thinking about in the card forum that talks about this technology.

Link

3 hours ago, Tnexus said:

Waiting 4 months to have my books pressed at CFP only to have CGC then put a massive color breaking crease in a good chunk of them.

What happened? 

1 hour ago, Domo Arigato said:
1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

What happened? 

He waited 4 months to have his books pressed at CFP and then CGC put a massive color breaking crease in a good chunk of them.

How does know  he when the massive color breaking creases in a good chunk of them occurred?

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is still a dork