• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your greatest CGC disappointment?
1 1

164 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

No, I was too angry :)

I had one like that 

Ms marvel #17 which I thought was NM, even when I got the raw and scanned and posted, everyone said it was a nice looking copy.

Came back 7.5 and had me scratching my head. Wondering if I stored it wrong or pulled it out to look at the condition too much or what ? (shrug)

Still I bought #16 graded and sold the raw #16 raw to the lcs, figured maybe it was just that title idk 😐

Still need #18

So there is a whole bunch of what I did 😂 haha but I threw the #17 in the registry as a learning experience curve what not ha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

8 hours ago, toro said:

Let me know:

1) When you get a submission back

2) What day is trash day in your neighborhood.

Thanks.  :)

I'd ask CGC when to expect my submissions from last year, but I suspect the answer is "scheduled for grading!"

Practically every collectible grading business has their ups and downs. Some grading companies are more lenient than others when it comes to say centering for cards or stains on comic books. A collector really has to do their due diligence and research on that company on how they grade that particular collectible.There are times also where they grade stricter than usual to control the census numbers for higher grades. I believe there is a certain max % that a particular grade has to be reached for the top grades to control the census populations. This usually pertains to the ones that have a whole bunch of submissions for grading, the common stuff so to say. It could also be a myth, but I personally believe in it. 

On 5/16/2021 at 2:01 AM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, that would most definitely be a big hit since I consider FF 5 to be one of the most key SA books out there, and pretty much the only SA book that I was hoping to acquire for my personal collection back in the day.  Sadly, never did managed to pick one up before the prices for it moved past what I was willing to pay for a copy of one.  :(

Any idea if the dealer or person you had brought the book from was even aware that there was color touch on the cover?  If you was collecting at that time, I am a bit surprised that you was not aware of restoration back then.  Especially since restoration was seen as actually ADDING VALUE to an unrestored book for several years back then during the late 70's and very early 80's.  I guess much like how current activities auch as pressing and cleaning have now been deemed as also adding value to an unrestored book ever since it was outed on the boards here about 15+ years ago. :ohnoez:

Which always makes me wonder what would happen to the value of pressed books if say 20 years from now with the rapidly improving technology, they come up with a fast and cost effective method to identify artifical pressing.  Just imagine another grading company coming in and differentiating pressed books from the untouched virgin books due to the overwhelming marketplace demand.  Needless to say, that would definitely be a huge game changer in the comic book marketplace with the unpressed "virgin" books surging even much higher in value due to high demand coupled with a low supply, while the once uber HG pressed copies would most likely end up selling for only fractions of what they once sold for due to low demand coupled with a huge supply.  hm  

That's assuming there will be comics that haven't been pressed by then.

12 hours ago, SuperBird said:

I'd ask CGC when to expect my submissions from last year, but I suspect the answer is "scheduled for grading!"

That's what two of mine are.  One I doubt will get to that status by the fall. 

What appears to be either a lack of market foresight OR disrespect of common everyday submitters, many of which are the purchasers of their end product so are the ones that actually keep them in business (if it wasn't for the end buyer, none of this would be happening).

1 hour ago, Gary Strange said:

Today. This.

189449683_154090789974720_2803976056402413052_n.thumb.jpg.5cf0eeea961fafd9c8cba349efc29a14.jpg

190688155_2608910689409909_6257401097065210236_n.thumb.jpg.b02d53a6182c4f3da1e85c93a0e7a14e.jpg

What's the sticker "received in damaged condition" about?

He gave it to the post office like that ?  :insane:

Have a copy of ASM 300 that I sent in for a signing. I was thinking 8.0-9.0........came back a 6.0. Checked the notes and they described all these defects that clearly weren't there. They'd obviously switched the notes with another ASM 300. I sent it back for a simple regrade with no press and sure enough it came back an 8.5