• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why can't we search for golden age anymore on Ebay?
2 2

59 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, JollyComics said:

It didn't look good for me as the seller.  My books can be overlooked and may be getting lost with ten thousand modern age comics.  If I may save my money to find a gem, I have to dig it up deeper until I strike the gold.

Not good news for GA book dealers.

I pinpointed for Foxhole comics. They removed Golden Age comics. Checked for the sales history. I could not find it either.

Either eBay is fixed or you guys don't know how to search.  This is how I do it:

* click "shop by category" next to the eBay logo

* click "collectibles"

* click "comics"

* run your search

* hit eras on the left and click golden age

Edited by sfcityduck

In the long run, the new "Eras" filter will do what you are familiar and comfortable doing.

The mistake ebay made is they deleted the Golden Age category from thousands of listings. They could have easily just assigned those same listings to the Golden Age Era. But, instead they left Era blank. As a result, thousands of GA comics are now part of the drek.

To fix it, sellers will need to update all their listings to include Golden Age, or Silver Age or whatever with the correct Era. If you have hundreds, or thousands of items listed, have fun with that. And, until all those thousands of listings are updated with the Era, they will be continue to be lumped in with the drek.

Edited by innocuous

This has to be temporary.  In the meantime, for your searches click out of "Best Match" to "Price + Shipping:  Highest First" to get you better results and get all that modern off the first page.  The GA books are generally going to be higher priced.

3 minutes ago, zosocane said:

This has to be temporary.  In the meantime, for your searches click out of "Best Match" to "Price + Shipping:  Highest First" to get you better results and get all that modern off the first page.  The GA books are generally going to be higher priced.

Just be prepared for all the CGC 9.8s that are being hawked for $500+

18 minutes ago, innocuous said:

In the long run, the new "Eras" filter will do what you are familiar and comfortable doing.

The mistake ebay made is they deleted the Golden Age category from thousands of listings. They could have easily just assigned those same listings to the Golden Age Era. But, instead they left Era blank. As a result, thousands of GA comics are now part of the drek.

To fix it, sellers will need to update all their listings to include Golden Age, or Silver Age or whatever with the correct Era. If you have hundreds, or thousands of items listed, have fun with that. And, until all those thousands of listings are updated with the Era, they will be continue to be lumped in with the drek.

Hopefully those sellers who had hundreds of CA and MA books listed in the Golden Age area will be too overwhelmed to bother B| GOD BLESS ....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

41 minutes ago, innocuous said:

Only if sellers are forced to put in an era. If not, the field is worthless and we will have to sift through tons of junk. 

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Either eBay is fixed or you guys don't know how to search.  This is how I do it:

* click "shop by category" next to the eBay logo

* click "collectibles"

* click "comics"

* run your search

* hit eras on the left and click golden age

It worked for me briefly yesterday, but is no longer working if you don't put something specific in the search field. If you click on an era it asks you to pick a further subcategory, and the to shop by grade before ending up on a page of paid advertising links. And if you want to search by subject, eras are now a checkbox field, so you now have to recheck the era every time you make a new search.

All other collectible categories are functioning properly, but not comics. As of half an hour ago, I could still not blanket search by category.

7 minutes ago, rjpb said:

All other collectible categories are functioning properly, but not comics. As of half an hour ago, I could still not blanket search by category.

This is why i believe this is temporary, either intentionally because they're tweaking something or unintentionally because someone pressed the wrong button.  Either way, it is a major annoyance but hopefully will be corrected soon.

7 hours ago, october said:

Only if sellers are forced to put in an era. If not, the field is worthless and we will have to sift through tons of junk. 

Exactly.. I just tested this, and when you list a comic, the era section is not required.  They added a ton of new item detail sections (artist, writer, year, edition, etc etc) to the listing submission form, and "era" is just buried in this mess, so my bet is that hardly any sellers will bother with this.  On top of that, I don't think many non-comic sellers will really know what "Golden Age", "Silver Age", etc mean, since it doesn't list the years next to them (like the old categories used to).  This is obviously a horrible "improvement" and I'm hoping it gets changed back soon.

Yep. I had Golden and Silver saved to search newly listed plus about 20 books on my want list. Now its all messed up.

Even when I adjust the search options, I'm getting other stuff that shouldn't be and I don't think I'm getting all of what I'm looking for. I have a little more raw books to move on that site over the next few months ,after that its goodbye forever.

PS Ive been selling pretty much the same lot of Bronze books in one lot in auction for the past few months and they always sell for around the same price. And the views are always about the same also. I'm putting another lot up this Sunday and I hope because of this BS it doesn't cost me a bunch of money because people can't find my listing.

Edited by Professor Chaos

19 hours ago, october said:

That's the rub, the tagging system is 100% a better way to search and filter in the long run (I'm an SEO expert and this comes up all the time) rather than relying mostly on the content itself that needs to be scraped. This however requires sellers adding them in.

The change makes sense for Ebay, however what does not make sense is how they rolled it out. They killed the parent categories without notifying anyone what would need to be done to tag their items, and most problematic, Ebay opted to NOT do this automatically for sellers (It would have been possible to auto-tag the era based on the previous parent category for any already listed and live item - but I also have an idea why they didn't and understand it), but also they did muck up the breadcrumb style navigation (they should have the tags appear at the top of the page where the original parent category breadcrumbs were located before that we are all used to clicking - this way you can delete any tags as needed at a glance, or click on one to jump to that main tag filter - just like clicking on golden age before)

Edited by Sauce Dog

19 hours ago, october said:

Agreed. And that's why searches now land far fewer results. When you had to choose a category like GA to make your listing, it filtered. Now, you have to rely on the seller putting the appropriate tag which they won't so no more GA or year tags. :censored:

Edited by Scrooge

14 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

That's the rub, the tagging system is 100% a better way to search and filter in the long run (I'm an SEO expert and this comes up all the time) rather than relying mostly on the content itself that needs to be scraped. This however requires sellers adding them in.

The change makes sense for Ebay, however what does not make sense is how they rolled it out. They killed the parent categories without notifying anyone what would need to be done to tag their items, and most problematic, Ebay opted to NOT do this automatically for sellers (It would have been possible to auto-tag the era based on the previous parent category for any already listed and live item - but I also have an idea why they didn't and understand it), but also they did muck up the breadcrumb style navigation (they should have the tags appear at the top of the page where the original parent category breadcrumbs were located before that we are all used to clicking - this way you can delete any tags as needed at a glance, or click on one to jump to that main tag filter - just like clicking on golden age before)

Thanks. My sentiment exactly as posted above but more eloquently put. (thumbsu

32 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Thanks, this is a good explanation. I gave up searching the other night.

Yes, I just came back to eBay as a seller last month. 

Looks like it's going to be a short return. People will not be able to find your listings this way.. .all that money out the window