• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol.4 #29
2 2

53 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, spracknetch23 said:

Good question. I sold the full run issues 1 through 32 for $900. This was probably around 2015 and a good price at the time. 

That is a great price, congrats! I haven't sold a comic yet. I am perpetually stunned just at how valuable TMNT comics have become of late. So happy I collected these when I did, all those years ago! My hopes of collecting these comics now would be nothing more than a mirage.

5 hours ago, sorrenmj said:

That's the answer I have been looking for, thanks. Now I can calm down! It seems vol. 4 issue #29 is kind of like TMNT #1 first print in that only the TMNT collectors and those who took a chance managed to obtain a copy. Now it's scarce and sought after in the same way.

Let's not get crazy. 

3 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Yeah..don't get me wrong, this is a great book, but it's in no way comparable to an original #1 lol

Hello! I guess I didn't mean pioneering influence but other similarities, such as a limited run, being independently published, most people either not knowing about it at the time or skipping it if they did and then there is the demand for it and the price hikes now. I suppose this is a usual pattern for a lot of comics maybe?

The scope and appeal of this book is much more narrow. Like TMNT or not, everyone knows TMNT 1’s importance in comics and its place as one of the top copper keys. This book really only appeals to TMNT completists. Hard to compare the two but I see where you’re coming from. 
As far as key criteria, this book has nothing. It’s just another issue in the story of volume 4 (which as of yet has never been completed. I suspect it never will be). The value and significance is strictly due to its rarity.
This book was also released for free online before Laird decided to publish the limited $10 hard copies. 

28 minutes ago, spracknetch23 said:

The scope and appeal of this book is much more narrow. Like TMNT or not, everyone knows TMNT 1’s importance in comics and its place as one of the top copper keys. This book really only appeals to TMNT completists. Hard to compare the two but I see where you’re coming from. 
As far as key criteria, this book has nothing. It’s just another issue in the story of volume 4 (which as of yet has never been completed. I suspect it never will be). The value and significance is strictly due to its rarity.
This book was also released for free online before Laird decided to publish the limited $10 hard copies. 

Thanks for the insight and perspective. I forgot this issue was released online prior to it being released physically, thanks for the reminder 

9 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

Is eBay too risky? Perhaps one of the auction houses might be a better place for me to try and sell it?

That’s really up to you.  I’ve sold some stuff on eBay and never had an issue.  Maybe try here first on the marketplace boards.  

Edited by Parabellum

On 5/16/2021 at 9:32 AM, Parabellum said:

Probably $3-5k maybe more.  

Really?  That would be pretty cool if it's true, but it seems like a big jump from when I bought mine.  Of course, I bought mine a bit piecemeal.  I got 1-29 in a lot.  My wife somehow got her hands on a #30 for my birthday one year...I'm pretty sure she went through Eric Talbot.  Then I got #32 when Peter Laird published it and made it available at one of the Shellback Artworks signings.  Then they did #31 a year later (they were released out of order). 

The value seems to all lie in the last 8 issues or so.  The first 24 or so issues can usually be had for around cover price the last I checked.  Though admittedly I haven't checked since TMNT stuff exploded, so who knows?

IMG_6856.jpg

7 hours ago, Turtle said:

Really?  That would be pretty cool if it's true, but it seems like a big jump from when I bought mine.  Of course, I bought mine a bit piecemeal.  I got 1-29 in a lot.  My wife somehow got her hands on a #30 for my birthday one year...I'm pretty sure she went through Eric Talbot.  Then I got #32 when Peter Laird published it and made it available at one of the Shellback Artworks signings.  Then they did #31 a year later (they were released out of order). 

The value seems to all lie in the last 8 issues or so.  The first 24 or so issues can usually be had for around cover price the last I checked.  Though admittedly I haven't checked since TMNT stuff exploded, so who knows?

IMG_6856.jpg

Yes

issues 25-28 $50-100 each

issue 29 I’ve seen sell for over $3k average price is around $2k

Issue 30 $1-2k 

Issues 31&32 $200-300 each 

Issues 1-24 run about $10 each

13 hours ago, Turtle said:

#32 Is highly sought-after because it has a letter from me in the Turtle Tracks section.  I'm open for a Signature Series opportunity.  I normally charge $350 per signature, but I'll only charge $200 for you because I like the cut of your jib. 

Ha ha, that was very erm 'Michaelangelo' of you! But seriously that is a nice set of comics you got showing and not showing too. What Turtles figures are they?

15 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

Ha ha, that was very erm 'Michaelangelo' of you! But seriously that is a nice set of comics you got showing and not showing too. What Turtles figures are they?

They’re the Mondo figures.  I’ll snap a picture tonight.

14 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

Nice. Are these the ones which are more popular than the cold cast statues Playmates did (2002-2006)?

More popular?  I couldn’t answer that.  Mine are the 1/6 scale action figures while the Playmates releases were statues.  I couldn’t tell you how well either sold.