• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another reason why I love Mycomicshop
2 2

81 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2021 at 1:07 PM, mycomicshop said:

We always try to be as competitive as possible (and our rates are already at ~8% and capped at $1000 for these high end sales vs other auction houses that are 10%+ with no cap), but we can't completely price match a platform like eBay that is providing less service and less seller protection. There's a risk premium associated with shipping a $10K+ book to a buyer, and eBay doesn't protect the seller the way we do. If you sell an expensive book yourself, you take on that risk yourself. If you sell a book through us, we insulate you from all that, you just get paid.

You can cross your fingers and hope nothing goes wrong and eBay decides in your favor if there's a dispute, but one big loss wipes out the savings from a lot of successful transactions. You can purchase a collectibles insurance policy that provides coverage if an expensive item goes missing during shipping. Whatever might happen and however you choose to handle it, there's always some cost associated with risk.

There's also factors like marketability--plenty of buyers will be more likely to buy a $12K book from an established and well-regarded retailer like us than they might from an unknown individual on eBay--meaning your book sells faster and/or at a higher price than if you handled it yourself. And some sellers selling on eBay might choose not to sell internationally because of the higher risk of shipping-related issues (btw the eBay Global Shipping Program doesn't allow sales over $2500, even eBay doesn't want to accept responsibility for shipping expensive items internationally). With us, your comic is available for purchase internationally too--bigger market = faster sale and/or higher sale price.

Are we allowed to bring the books to you or is mail the only option ? GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo (a friend of Jesus)(thumbsu

2 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Are we allowed to bring the books to you or is mail the only option ? GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo (a friend of Jesus)(thumbsu

Absolutely, if you're able to travel to drop books off for consignment, you're welcome to do so provided you've made an appointment with our consignment director ahead of time.

Este Bagato
Consignment Director
817-701-0702 available 9:00AM-5:00PM CST, Monday-Friday
consign@mycomicshop.com

We're located in Arlington, TX.

3 hours ago, Tony Edwards said:

@mycomicshop  Would you consider using ebay’s Global Shipping Program?  (I’m in the UK and you have lots of stuff I’d buy if you did.)

We don’t use The Global Shipping Program because in the past the most common feedback I’ve heard from international buyers is that it results in higher shipping costs for them, including the application of high worst-case import charges on every GSP purchase, whereas shipments not using GSP don’t have those same charges. 

If that’s not the case in your experience please follow up with me via PM and we can discuss. We also sell on our web site and everything we list on eBay is available through our site as well. 

5 hours ago, mycomicshop said:

We don’t use The Global Shipping Program because in the past the most common feedback I’ve heard from international buyers is that it results in higher shipping costs for them, including the application of high worst-case import charges on every GSP purchase, whereas shipments not using GSP don’t have those same charges. 

If that’s not the case in your experience please follow up with me via PM and we can discuss. We also sell on our web site and everything we list on eBay is available through our site as well. 

The Global Shipping Program is absolutely horrible for Canadian buyers.  The charges are absurd.  2c 

5 hours ago, shadroch said:

My two complaints on ebay involved buyers being overcharged by GSP, as if the seller sets the prices. 

For me, the big advantage of GSP is knowing exactly what I’m going to pay for an item at the outset.  Outside of GSP, I genuinely have no idea what import duties etc. I’m going to incur along the way.

Edited by Tony Edwards

10 minutes ago, Tony Edwards said:

For me, the big advantage of GSP is knowing exactly what I’m going to pay for an item at the outset.  Outside of GSP, I genuinely have no idea what import duties etc. I’m going to incur along the way.

In my experience, MCS provide by far the cheapest shipping to the UK. There are no import duties on comic books. 2c

Edited by mrc
edit

10 minutes ago, mrc said:

In my experience, MCS provide by far the cheapest shipping to the UK. There are no import duties on comic books. 2c

I’ve paid import duties and fees.  I’ve also gone to checkout on eBay and found that 20% VAT has been added to the price of the books.  With GSP I’ve avoided those surprises.  But maybe I’m missing a trick?

13 minutes ago, Tony Edwards said:

I’ve paid import duties and fees.  I’ve also gone to checkout on eBay and found that 20% VAT has been added to the price of the books.  With GSP I’ve avoided those surprises.  But maybe I’m missing a trick?

I've been incorrectly charged import duty twice and it's difficult and time consuming to get a refund. The Seller (usually in the US) needs to clearly write 'comic book' or 'printed material' on the package when shipping. Anytime I've bought from MCS I've been surprised and delighted with both the shipping cost and speed of delivery. That is why I think they are awesome! Good luck.

7 minutes ago, mrc said:

I've been incorrectly charged import duty twice and it's difficult and time consuming to get a refund. The Seller (usually in the US) needs to clearly write 'comic book' or 'printed material' on the package when shipping. Anytime I've bought from MCS I've been surprised and delighted with both the shipping cost and speed of delivery. That is why I think they are awesome! Good luck.

Appreciate the info.  I’m sure I’ll be buying from MCS in the near future either way!

I use MyComicShop exclusively for my new comics now. I decided to try them about a year and half ago after getting fed up with the beat up copies I was receiving from Midtown.

What a world of difference! I never receive a book lower than NM and most are closer to 9.6-9.8.

Also love how they let you piggyback purchases onto your Prevews orders to combine shipping. So if I miss something pre-ordering I don't have to set up a whole separate order to grab one or two books.

Great service. Nothing but good experiences so far.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:32 AM, mycomicshop said:

Absolutely, if you're able to travel to drop books off for consignment, you're welcome to do so provided you've made an appointment with our consignment director ahead of time.

Este Bagato
Consignment Director
817-701-0702 available 9:00AM-5:00PM CST, Monday-Friday
consign@mycomicshop.com

We're located in Arlington, TX.

Este Bagato the Consignment Director at MCS?  (worship)(worship)

MCS has always been good with customer service in my experience too. Their people are always very helpful. They are always good with time pay as well and offer plenty of time if need be. 

But now I just realized I'm being charged sales tax on MCS, when I wasn't before. Even as recently as a couple months ago. Looking at their information on the site - looks like most states are now subject to sales tax except for several low population states. So just a heads up for everyone. Still love them but maybe just a little bit less today. 

Edit: Not meant as a shot at MCS as they don't control that. Just giving a heads up. 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 8/16/2022 at 3:20 PM, MGsimba77 said:

MCS has always been good with customer service in my experience too. Their people are always very helpful. They are always good with time pay as well and offer plenty of time if need be. 

But now I just realized I'm being charged sales tax on MCS, when I wasn't before. Even as recently as a couple months ago. Looking at their information on the site - looks like most states are now subject to sales tax except for several low population states. So just a heads up for everyone. Still love them but maybe just a little bit less today. 

Lol never fear. I used to forego using them cause I'm IN Texas and have always had to pay the tax because I'm "in state," but never fear there are still deals to be had I've found. I buy from time to time still!  :headbang:

On 8/16/2022 at 1:24 PM, Towhead said:
On 8/16/2022 at 1:20 PM, MGsimba77 said:

So MCS is the bad guy for charging sales tax? ???

You didn't know?  Aside from buying and selling comic books as a side business they run the legislature of 31 states, mostly on the tax policy side.