• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another reason why I love Mycomicshop
2 2

81 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2022 at 3:31 PM, MGsimba77 said:

No.... I know they don't control that. I'm just giving a heads up to people because I think the tax started recently on the site that's all.

There is only one online place that still doesnt charge sales tax, maybe 2, they're both from New York. It must be nice

On 8/16/2022 at 4:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

There is only one online place that still doesnt charge sales tax, maybe 2, they're both from New York. It must be nice

Does Clink and CC charge? I think the smaller sites may not, since whether they charge tax has something to do with reaching a certain yearly sales threshold to a given state. Obviously the biggest ones will reach the threshold sooner. 

On 8/16/2022 at 3:43 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Does Clink and CC charge? I think the smaller sites may not, since whether they charge tax has something to do with reaching a certain yearly sales threshold to a given state. Obviously the biggest ones will reach the threshold sooner. 

I'm not sure, and I'm also not positive if the ones from NY dont somehow have it built into the price as well.

Makes sense somehow, would be good for business if they make it cheap but profitable, probably different for everyone in the cost to obtain 

On 8/16/2022 at 1:20 PM, MGsimba77 said:

But now I just realized I'm being charged sales tax on MCS, when I wasn't before. Even as recently as a couple months ago. Looking at their information on the site - looks like most states are now subject to sales tax except for several low population states.

Sales tax obligation is based on an annual threshold amount being shipped into a state and I believe that threshold is $100,000.   If a seller (or platform such as Ebay) ships more than $100,000 into your state, they can be obligated to collect sales tax on behalf of your state.  If it is under the threshold amount, they should not be collecting sales tax.  If your sales tax just went into effect recently, it means they are anticipating going over that threshold amount for your state, or your state just started requesting it.  

Edited by Nick Furious

On 8/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, mycomicshop said:

We've been charging sales tax to most states for quite a while now, I think more than a year. Florida is the one that recently changed status--previously out of state sellers didn't have to charge sales tax, but now they do.

Florida held out for a little while after the tax rule came into effect but it didn't last too long. Previous legislation allowed the state to be exempt. Last year however, the governor signed a new law allowing the state to collect. So we've been included now for over a year. It must be you're reaching a threshold sales amount in Florida that obligates you to charge tax.

On 8/16/2022 at 8:49 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Florida held out for a little while after the tax rule came into effect but it didn't last too long. Previous legislation allowed the state to be exempt. Last year however, the governor signed a new law allowing the state to collect. So we've been included now for over a year. It must be you're reaching a threshold sales amount in Florida that obligates you to charge tax.

I hate to agree with them, but if every other state is collecting out-of-state sales tax, in does put their own in-state businesses at a disadvantage of Florida doesn't collect it from the potential competitors to those businesses. 

My only issue with MCS remains the grading... Normally I can rely on the book being 1 to 2 points higher than what they claim, but just last week I got a book they sold as GD that was probably more of a 5.5 or so.  It's very inconsistent.  I think I've even gotten 3 books out of the 1200+ that I've ordered from them that were actually only the listed grade, not higher!

Just placed an order late last night for ASM Vol 6: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.  They were out the door by this afternoon and on their way to me. 

They have basically become my LCS.  I just wait a few months and catch up on ASM. 

On 8/16/2022 at 11:51 PM, Nick Furious said:

I hate to agree with them, but if every other state is collecting out-of-state sales tax, in does put their own in-state businesses at a disadvantage of Florida doesn't collect it from the potential competitors to those businesses. 

Well there's ways around that so I wouldn't necessarily agree. As much as I disagree with decisions made by the powers that be, this isn't the right thread to relitigate that whole thing.

MCS shipping deserves praise! Always very quick, not overpriced and efficiently out the door!

Edited by MGsimba77

On 5/20/2021 at 6:34 AM, mycomicshop said:

We don’t use The Global Shipping Program because in the past the most common feedback I’ve heard from international buyers is that it results in higher shipping costs for them, including the application of high worst-case import charges on every GSP purchase, whereas shipments not using GSP don’t have those same charges. 

If that’s not the case in your experience please follow up with me via PM and we can discuss. We also sell on our web site and everything we list on eBay is available through our site as well. 

As an international buyer, I can 100% confirm - eBay's global shipping program is more expensive (base rate comparison) and then eBay also charge an "import tax" that I do not get charged when I get anything shipped from any where other than eBay's Global Shipping Program. It feels like a rort. 

MCS is far more economical as a buyer for international shipping.

I've also been lucky enough to have the experience that MCS is more reliable. Add to that the quality of packing from the MCS team, the hassle-free support on the rare occurrence something goes awry, and not having to worry about whether the book was a scam or not... It's simply a no-brainer for me. I don't buy slabs from eBay anymore, only MCS or other boardies (or businesses with a presence here). I will only (grudgingly) resort to eBay for raws if I cannot source them elsewhere. 

On 8/16/2022 at 11:01 PM, OtherEric said:

My only issue with MCS remains the grading... Normally I can rely on the book being 1 to 2 points higher than what they claim, but just last week I got a book they sold as GD that was probably more of a 5.5 or so.  It's very inconsistent.  I think I've even gotten 3 books out of the 1200+ that I've ordered from them that were actually only the listed grade, not higher!

A terrible plight for a buyer! 😀

Find a relative in Delaware. MCS does not charge sales tax when shipping to Delaware (as Delaware has none).

I myself was excited to read that MCS/Lone Star will be at this year's Baltimore Comic Con. I'm such a happy customer I look forward to giving my appreciation in person to Conan and whomever else from the team or the Saunders family is gonna be there.

On 8/17/2022 at 12:59 AM, KirbyTown said:

A terrible plight for a buyer! 😀

It sucks for the consigner if the buyer really got a 5.5 for a 2.0 price. Their recent grading is why I'm looking elsewhere to sell my 5,000 raw Silver and Bronze books. 

Edited by shadroch

On 8/17/2022 at 10:28 AM, OtherEric said:

To be fair, the higher price the book, the closer to true the grading is.  But it's the only online store where I feel safe buying an inexpensive book without actual pictures of the book.

I agree with the second part especially with NM; they're usually nice looking comics as they don't just hand those grades out. Going blind on the bottom of the scale is a total crapshoot; for example, huge stickers are a possibility.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/17/2022 at 1:32 PM, KirbyTown said:

I agree with the second part especially with NM; they're usually nice looking comics as they don't just hand those grades out. Going blind on the bottom of the scale is a total crapshoot; for example, huge stickers are a possibility.

I've bought many Fairs from them site unseen because the price was too good to pass up. Sometimes it means a nice looking copy with a missing coupon, sometimes a book with extreme sun fading, and sometimes the book shows up and it's a VG (shrug)

On 8/17/2022 at 5:18 PM, Ryan. said:

I've bought many Fairs from them site unseen because the price was too good to pass up. Sometimes it means a nice looking copy with a missing coupon, sometimes a book with extreme sun fading, and sometimes the book shows up and it's a VG (shrug)

Yeah, the low stuff runs the gamut; often a lot of "otherwise" comics like you describe rather than just being generally trashed copies.

Edited by KirbyTown