• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another reason why I love Mycomicshop
2 2

81 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2022 at 12:36 PM, Styling said:
On 8/17/2022 at 7:43 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

Find a relative in Delaware. MCS does not charge sales tax when shipping to Delaware (as Delaware has none)

You could try New Hampshire, Oregon, or Montana too.

I think Massachusetts has a wide tax exempt status for periodicals which include all comic books. So anybody in Massachusetts might want to look into that. Some important person up there must be a collector. 

@mycomicshop

Conan,

I believe there was an announcement, here or in the newsletter, stating that MCS was implementing new intake procedures to make consignment processing significantly faster, particularly for slabs which were to be fully processed within a couple days of receipt. Have these new procedures been yet put in place?

On 8/18/2022 at 6:19 AM, Ryan. said:

@mycomicshop

Conan,

I believe there was an announcement, here or in the newsletter, stating that MCS was implementing new intake procedures to make consignment processing significantly faster, particularly for slabs which were to be fully processed within a couple days of receipt. Have these new procedures been yet put in place?

Good question, and I was curious about this as well. I had a consignment arrive with them on August 8th, and I still don't have the option of setting my prices yet. It's never taken this long before.

Also, has Este left? She was always very helpful. 

I just submitted my first batch of consignment books ever - all CGC graded - and was mildly disappointed that it took several weeks for them to be properly entered into the system.  I just figured this was par for the course due to the sheer volume of submissions they get (hey, that last phrase sounds familiar...).  

On 8/18/2022 at 8:49 AM, djzombi said:

I just submitted my first batch of consignment books ever - all CGC graded - and was mildly disappointed that it took several weeks for them to be properly entered into the system.  I just figured this was par for the course due to the sheer volume of submissions they get (hey, that last phrase sounds familiar...).  

I haven't sent anything in for consignment with them for a few months, but it never took more than a week before. At the very least, after a week it would list your books under "My Consignments" tab and list your books and have something like "books are currently being scanned/filed, etc." but it's not even saying that now. 

I sent them an email this morning so hopefully I'll have some more insight. Maybe there is a change to the process, maybe they are short staffed (no one seems to want to work anymore), or maybe it's something else. 

Since Steve B started, his job is to bring in more collections and assignments so I imagine the numbers of submissions is up.  MCS recently started doing shows so manpower is diverted from before, and two people I speak to from MCS both recently had covid so I'm sure they are losing manhours to that. 

Edited by shadroch

On 8/18/2022 at 8:49 AM, djzombi said:

Andrea just replied to my email I sent this morning and said they recently had a large influx of slabbed books coming in. So that explains the delay.

Our changes to speed up slab recording are not done yet. The physical changes to the imaging work area were recently completed--moving desks, shelving, and the biggest delay was electrical work to make the lighting much more flexible to help prevent reflections. Now working on the software changes to support a redesigned workflow that'll get slabs through faster.

On 8/18/2022 at 6:19 AM, Ryan. said:

@mycomicshop

Conan,

I may have asked before, but have you used the slab quick submission form? I don't know if it speeds up anything in-house, but it definitely saves the time you'd have to wait for approvals.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:02 AM, graffix13 said:

Andrea just replied to my email I sent this morning and said they recently had a large influx of slabbed books coming in. So that explains the delay.

And I don't think Este's gone anywhere. Finding out that Steve's hiring didn't affect her was a relief and I think she got a cooler title.

On 8/18/2022 at 11:55 AM, mycomicshop said:

Our changes to speed up slab recording are not done yet. The physical changes to the imaging work area were recently completed--moving desks, shelving, and the biggest delay was electrical work to make the lighting much more flexible to help prevent reflections. Now working on the software changes to support a redesigned workflow that'll get slabs through faster.

Thanks for the update!

On 8/18/2022 at 5:14 PM, KirbyTown said:

I may have asked before, but have you used the slab quick submission form? I don't know if it speeds up anything in-house, but it definitely saves the time you'd have to wait for approvals.

I have used that feature, and it does speed things up on the front end, but not so much on the back end processing.

Sometime late last year, I sold a book on MCs and started an experiment.  I used the money to buy another book from MCS and consigned it back. The idea is to see how far I can go with just that hundred dollars. I bought a book for $100, sold it for $168, bought another for $150 and flipped it for 200and change. Two flips later, I bought a Spidey 38 for $330 and sold it for $410. Now I'm looking for a book in the $365 range.  Two more flips and I'll have a book somewhere in the $500 range, all from an initial $100 investment.  There were no homeruns here, just solid singles. I'll document the buys and sells from here on out. This experiment ends when I've turned my $100 into $1,000. 

My rules are the book has to be bought off of MCS, and sold on MCS, so the only actions I took were paying for the books, pricing them and collecting the final $1,000.

Who says you can't spin straw into gold?

On 8/19/2022 at 10:39 AM, shadroch said:

Sometime late last year, I sold a book on MCs and started an experiment.  I used the money to buy another book from MCS and consigned it back. The idea is to see how far I can go with just that hundred dollars. I bought a book for $100, sold it for $168, bought another for $150 and flipped it for 200and change. Two flips later, I bought a Spidey 38 for $330 and sold it for $410. Now I'm looking for a book in the $365 range.  Two more flips and I'll have a book somewhere in the $500 range, all from an initial $100 investment.  There were no homeruns here, just solid singles. I'll document the buys and sells from here on out. This experiment ends when I've turned my $100 into $1,000. 

My rules are the book has to be bought off of MCS, and sold on MCS, so the only actions I took were paying for the books, pricing them and collecting the final $1,000.

Who says you can't spin straw into gold?

It's a great feature! What has your strategy been, fixed or auction, and about how long did you have to wait per issue? What was the time range of the last one you sold, and do you forsee any hurdles due to the market change that began in June?

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/19/2022 at 3:09 PM, KirbyTown said:

It's a great feature! What has your strategy been, fixed or auction, and about how long did you have to wait per issue? What was the time range of the last one you sold, and do you forsee any hurdles due to the market change that began in June?

Latest flip took three weeks, but only two days passed from when it was listed until I got an offer, and two days for my counter-offer to be accepted. My activity has slowed way down due to outside issues, so I'm not wired in to market changes, but I find the market doesn't evolve, it revolves. 

Edited by shadroch

On 8/19/2022 at 6:21 PM, shadroch said:

Latest flip took three weeks, but only two days passed from when it was listed until I got an offer, and two days for my counter-offer to be accepted. My activity has slowed way down due to outside issues, so I'm not wired in to market changes, but I find the market doesn't evole, it revolves. 

Have they all been through best offers or have any been full price?

Printed out my purchases from MCS for the last 3 years.  It comes to 11 front and back pages of line items.  I've had exactly 3 issues.  Twice I bought "signed ash can" books but received what appear to be normal copies, can't find a signature and no indication of ash can.  I'm sure they would have taken care of it, but neither purchase cost enough to make it worth bringing to their attention.  The third, a package that never arrived, was refunded to me within 10 days of bringing it to their attention and letting them research it.  It's a pretty rare occasion now that I buy online from any platform other than MCS.