• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Unconfirmed Speculation About Two Brothers
16 16

124 posts in this topic

Having said that, I'm not going to float a name without basis.  So if Heritage or CGC want to establish to me that my speculation is wrong, I'll abandon my speculation.  I'm sure that they would not attempt to mislead me in order to suppress the story of these brothers from being confirmed.

6 hours ago, AJD said:

And as for "I would not want to facilitate a screw job by staying silent" - oh, please.

You do realize that I was responding to a hypothetical, right?  I'm not suggesting that the family, Heritage or CGC have done anything wrong. 

Obviously, if the facts were as the hypothetical put forth, that our silence was necessary to prevent family members with a RIGHT to the books from knowing of their existence and stopping the auction, then, yes, I would not want to aid anyone in ripping off family members with a legitimate right to the comics out of a selfish desire to have a shot at buying them sooner rather than later.  I can't imagine anyone would think otherwise.

5 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Having said that, I'm not going to float a name without basis.  So if Heritage or CGC want to establish to me that my speculation is wrong, I'll abandon my speculation.  I'm sure that they would not attempt to mislead me in order to suppress the story of these brothers from being confirmed.

All of what you said in the prior reply makes perfect sense. I am curious why the family obviously told enough of the story to connect dots but chose to not be like "Hey I am Ted and this was my insert relation here's collection!" If I had such a collection in my family, I would be proud.

But I would also never sell it....so maybe therein lies part of the reason, as maybe they are worried someone will know they received a hefty sum for them when it is all said and done and if more public than just the comic community, it might open up some doors for some unsavoury people to think of doing unsavoury things.

10 minutes ago, Point Five said:

The family could have any number of legitimate reasons for maintaining their privacy, as any family might. Since we don't know those reasons, all we can do is speculate. I personally would rather err on the side of respecting those wishes.

Absolutely... for example, all it takes is one nut-job that finds out you've had a windfall ... 

Personally, I would respect their wishes and let the books speak for themselves, yet here I am, still reading this thread... and yes, I also watch I.D. Channel. As for the family already revealing too much, the average person is incredibly naive , perhaps even so with them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

I tend to lean towards being more private about family things, hence I don't do facebook.  So the details about the story that have been told by Heritage and the family's wish for privacy seem to work against each other a bit here.

They may want the most they can get from the collection, but not want TV, news and potential robbers and kidnappers. They may also be trying not to find more long lost relatives, I have no idea.

I enjoy reading mysteries, so I'm enjoying the detective work...and it seems that the OP is to me, having fun with the mystery, but trying to maintain some privacy for the family.

Nothing is perfect.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Yeh the truth counts. Facts do matter.

HA: Our lips are sealed. But not really!  It was the younger brother's. Or the older brother's. Well it wasnt a sister, that we're sure of!  And then the brother passed away. Last year. Or 20 years ago. Who knows? Oh, that's right, we do! We think. Don't we?

x files GIF by The X-Files

Could the story still be told just using the names we are given? Does knowing the true name (now) really matter to the story. Like you can call the brothers Bob and Lob and still tell their story in a lot of detail that, if someone REALLY wanted to get the real names from all the other info they could. I know I won't. I am more interested in the story.

Edited by comicginger1789