• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If only you had $20+ to spend with Robert Bell in 1971
1 1

40 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

FF 45 .50
FF 48 .50
FF 49 .50
FF 50 .50
FF 52 .50
ASM 14 1.50

Robert Bell always asked for alternate choices. I recommend ASM # 50 at a lofty 75c or Strange Tales 110 for a mighty $1, as I know you liked Paste Pot Pete in kindergarten. :download:

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

In 1970, I got into a fistfight with my brother so he would not lend me the $3 I needed to go 'all in' to get AF #15 for a total of $23 postage included. Thus, I got a bloody nose and NO AF 15. :ph34r:

Although neither result was good, I know which one was the worst. :p

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Sorry, I just pulled this Robert Bell mail order list off Facebook (FB). Don't know where the silver DC list is. If I was a spec in 1970, I would have ordered a $20 dealer pack of Strange Tales #110 x 20 copies @ $1 then being Nostrodamos could retire when the first trailer for Dr. Strange movie dropped.

In 1970, I got into a fistfight with my brother so he would not lend me the $3 I needed to go 'all in' to get AF #15 for a total of $23 postage included. Thus, I got a bloody nose and NO AF 15. :ph34r:

Also, during that time frame, you would have only had to pick up 30 soda bottles to earn that $3.

FUN!

Tales of Suspense #39    $10

X-Men #1                         $7

SIlver Surfer #4                $2

FF #48                              .50

FF#49                               .50

---------------

=shut up and take my money

3 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Sorry, I just pulled this Robert Bell mail order list off Facebook (FB). Don't know where the silver DC list is. If I was a spec in 1970, I would have ordered a $20 dealer pack of Strange Tales #110 x 20 copies @ $1 then being Nostrodamos could retire when the first trailer for Dr. Strange movie dropped.

This ladies and gentlemen is the definition of a TRUE comic book collector...

I pounded my brother after he used the cover of one of my mint Turoks to practice his printing.  There was crying but no blood  :blush:

I don't think I ever bought anything from Robert Bell, but I'm pretty sure I sent in for that free sample comic bag offered there. I couldn't decide what to put in it, so I ended up putting my only #1 issue - Human Torch #1, because it's a number one, so it must be valuable! lol 

image.png.8956e1d86d8613fd2fa15953e39d528f.png

Like Sharon, in 1971 I was mostly a DC guy. So if we are talking about 1971 Timmy, and knowing how much $20 would be to 9-year-old me, I would probably have tried for the most books for my money, so....

Probably Fantastic Four 41-80 @50 cents each, or X-Men 12-51.

If I were sending a message back thru time to my 9-year-old self and had to buy for my own collection, either

Spider-Man #1 for the whole $20

or

Fantastic Four #5 ($13), Spider-Man #9, #14 ($1.50 each), Strange Tales #102 ($4.00)

since those are still on my wantlist today.

12 hours ago, innocuous said:

Call him up and negotiate $20 for the AF15. If he won't budge, send him my Submariners 20-27 as part of trade + Cash.

...except that there's no phone number...

12 hours ago, vheflin said:

:whatthe:

but since he's charging a 5x markup for new comics I'd go to the newsstand instead

To clarify, the Robert Bell prices expired Dec. 31, 1970. Compare to pricey Howard Rogofsky price list from Sept, 1967 (borrowed from Moe's Attic on FB):

image.png.8a2d5efab853f9aa14569c9c1c9cabc6.png

I was losing interest in collecting comics as a 12 year old in 1971. I was down to Thor and Avengers as my only monthly pickups. However, if my 62 year old self was transported back, I would definitely take that $20 ASM 1 to complete my Vol. 1 run.

With my current mindset I'd be going for that ASM 1.

If I was thinking the way I did as a kid when I first started collecting I'd be going for as many 0.50 and $1 books to make up the 20, give myself plenty to read! I think it took me a long time to start associating value to what I was simply reading and enjoying looking after.