• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your predictions for one year from now.
5 5

107 posts in this topic

I predict the silver age Marvel key explosion will have levelled off slightly, no more insane increases week after week. They certainly won't drop but they should take a slower uptake for a little while....until 2023 when Marvel announce their Phase 5 slate and it goes mad again.

The speculator boom on modern stuff will still be in flow. I'm referring more to the 9.8 slab merry-go-round that is increasingly popular and I don't see this slowing down anytime soon.

Fingers crossed DC gets a boost though, I'm looking at loads of cool key books in reasonable grades that I'd love to own. They won't be anywhere near Marvel values but will hopefully increase a bit. Lets see if the Rock can set the DCEU on fire with his Black Adam movie coming along.

I predict the current comic collecting craze will burst with a bigger bang than the beanie baby bubble! One year from now many of today's HOT comics will be back where they belong - dollar bins and/or selling at half cover price! And don't think about leaving them to the kids, your crusty old comic collection means about as much to them as your grandpa's stodgy stamp collection meant to you. And it takes up more space! So sell now. To me. At 20% off last year's GPA...

Thanksgiving Humor, Celebration and Truth (Hilarious Holiday Memes!) |  Thanksgiving jokes, Thanksgiving quotes funny, Holiday humor

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

Everything I bought the past two years that's been skyrocketing out of reach will crash. Everything I sold the last two years will skyrocket. 

This is my business model, apparently.

All the specs are kinda getting itchy already. They're all looking around the room to see whom will break first. There are tons of people in the market buying books, knowing full well they can't afford them. The only reason most books are selling at today's prices is because of confidence or delusion that money can be made off of the purchase, so why not overpay.

At some point this year, I predict a glorious explosion of supply in key books hitting the market, thus driving down prices. No offense to anybody that owns copies, but it seems like there are 5 copies of Giant Size XMen 1 and Marvel Premiere 15 sold every minute. It also seems as though the pre movie prices outpace the post movie prices, even if the movie does well. So many rookies are in the market buying, not for love of the medium, but literally because they believe they are going to become wealthy trading comics. So, we ask ourselves... is this sustainable? I say no. 

If you love your books and bought them right, this market swing will have little effect on you. If you're sitting on a ton of Marvel keys because, in your mind, they're going to go up forever... might be a rough year. At the end of the day, a mass influx of supply and hyper inflated economy will be the demise of current comic pricing. Hard to say what the reduced values will look like. There are a lot of different avenues that car can turn onto. I say bring it. Would it be such a bad thing? 

At the end of the day, you can't eat comics. If you have a big enough slab collection,you could fuse them all together and make an ultra baller igloo, but generally, you can't live in them either. 

Verdict: Hyper inflated cost of goods and living expenses finally send comic prices south in the 4th quarter of 2021. I'll leave you with some appropriate song lyrics.

"Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of the tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way" -The Mighty Metallica

I predict Golden Age classic covers will surge in pricing once all the YouTube bros get bored talking about the same Silver and Bronze keys over and over. 

53 minutes ago, Joshua33 said:

All the specs are kinda getting itchy already. They're all looking around the room to see whom will break first. There are tons of people in the market buying books, knowing full well they can't afford them. The only reason most books are selling at today's prices is because of confidence or delusion that money can be made off of the purchase, so why not overpay.

At some point this year, I predict a glorious explosion of supply in key books hitting the market, thus driving down prices. No offense to anybody that owns copies, but it seems like there are 5 copies of Giant Size XMen 1 and Marvel Premiere 15 sold every minute. It also seems as though the pre movie prices outpace the post movie prices, even if the movie does well. So many rookies are in the market buying, not for love of the medium, but literally because they believe they are going to become wealthy trading comics. So, we ask ourselves... is this sustainable? I say no. 

If you love your books and bought them right, this market swing will have little effect on you. If you're sitting on a ton of Marvel keys because, in your mind, they're going to go up forever... might be a rough year. At the end of the day, a mass influx of supply and hyper inflated economy will be the demise of current comic pricing. Hard to say what the reduced values will look like. There are a lot of different avenues that car can turn onto. I say bring it. Would it be such a bad thing? 

At the end of the day, you can't eat comics. If you have a big enough slab collection,you could fuse them all together and make an ultra baller igloo, but generally, you can't live in them either. 

Verdict: Hyper inflated cost of goods and living expenses finally send comic prices south in the 4th quarter of 2021. I'll leave you with some appropriate song lyrics.

"Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of the tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way" -The Mighty Metallica

I believe you're correct and it's similar to the 90s' speculator boom. The Comic Bros are the QVCs and Gareb Shamuses of today. I think people who collect for the long haul can ride this out but a lot of "personalities" are going to be disappointed. But maybe the slab bros are their own community now and have begat enough of them to keep buying each other's auctions.

I think prices will cool a bit for MCU related books, as people realise the MCU they loved is no more, and it's now in new territory, cooling the books. 

2 hours ago, Joshua33 said:

Now take everything you just said and add taxes, you know, the ones everybody is suppose to already report/pay, from our sales off of eBay, Comiclink, Metropolis Comics, Mycomicshop, Shortboxed etc. Once that $600 seller threshold goes into effect December 31,2021 and nobody pays attention until they get slapped with a 1099 or fee, penalty or whatever in 2023. The fallout might be very interesting. Again like you said, the new money is overpaying with cash they don’t have in order to bank on profit that isn’t there. Add to that, one in four Americans do not have enough money saved to cover more than two months of expenses. Now imagine dealing with all that with the IRS nipping at your heels. All because you wanted a GSX 1. Wouldn’t be me lol. 

Does anyone remember when Dan Greenhalgh (formerly of Showcase New England) came on here over a decade ago and said moderns were going to go through the roof and everyone laughed him off the boards?

15 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Does anyone remember when Dan Greenhalgh (formerly of Showcase New England) came on here over a decade ago and said moderns were going to go through the roof and everyone laughed him off the boards?

No.  Dan also spent the most money buying collections if I remember.  

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

No.

I tried to find the thread but couldn't.

But he argued that Moderns were going to be like Bronze and Bronze were going to be like Silver. I remember a lot of people ridiculed him for saying that.

My point was that nobody really knows which way the market will go. 

2 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Dan also spent the most money buying collections if I remember.  

He was just slightly before my time. I think he was just getting out of comics as I was becoming a dealer so I never really met the guy but I did bid on his stuff on eBay a lot back in the day.