• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction Bidding strategies
1 1

43 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

For me, the MOST IMPORTANT process would be to put my absolute caps on pieces and  jot em down, so when the bidding frenzy starts, I already have my most uncomfortable last bid figured out. Once it passes that amount, I’m done… I’m a spectator. 

This lets me take the heat of battle emotions out of it when trying to figure out whether or not to place another bid, and keeps me from paying 1st tier artist prices for a 3rd tier artist work ; )

That’s not a strategy I would use. Not everyone cares about pieces the way I might, and they miss the live auction. That means they lose the ability to make spot adjustments on what they would spend. I wait until the live auction and trust myself to control my spending. I also suspect early high bidding helps drive up the final auction price by giving prospective bidders time to adjust their financial concerns to a higher level as they think about spending.

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

My strategy is if I have to have it, I keep bidding till I win it. If I just want it I put my max in before live and let it roll. 

I always win with first method. I rarely win with second.  

This really is the full proof method I've learned. I've won a few pieces when thinking "Just one more bid" to myself which wouldn't have happened if I had not been on and just let my max automated bids do it all. 

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

My strategy is if I have to have it, I keep bidding till I win it. If I just want it I put my max in before live and let it roll. 

But what about pieces you don’t “have” to have, but what just like to add?

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

But what about pieces you don’t “have” to have, but what just like to add?

As stated I put in my max I’m willing to pay at the beginning and let it ride …maybe win 1 of 5 that way (at least recently) 

On 6/19/2021 at 7:37 PM, Grant Turner said:

The Tales to Astonish 44 page was the one I wanted, but I didn’t want to go over 12k (ended up going for 18)

my back up was the Strange Tales 106 page with all four of the FF.  It leaked over my max just a bit. Wanted to keep it at 5k, got it for $5,200 (not complaining)

Congrats Grant - looking forward to you CAF post!

Hard for me because I only collect silver surfer art. There were 5 minor pieces in last auction. True to form I won 1 of 5 with my bids entered. None were have to have. 

but I’m always looking for surfer art!

On 6/20/2021 at 7:59 PM, G.A.tor said:

My strategy is to avoid bidding against a Gator... lol

98ae9fb41956173e206aabb9aead48dc.jpg

On 6/20/2021 at 7:59 PM, G.A.tor said:

Note to self: avoid auctions with gators chasing Surfers

Another type of strategy is to max out an earlier bid at the price point where the levels 'jump' to the next level.  Sometimes (not always) I've been able to win right at the point where the next minimum bid doubles or does something crazy...that's where most bidders hesitate, I'd imagine.

Dan

12 hours ago, JadeGiant said:
On 6/21/2021 at 7:59 AM, G.A.tor said:

Note to self: avoid auctions with gators chasing Surfers

Note to self:  punish bid the hell out of GAtor on Surfer pages :devil:

On 6/19/2021 at 5:23 PM, Grant Turner said:

Well, my initial statement was slightly off. Turned out the two pieces I had my eye on were both on Saturday, but the gist was still the same: the marquee piece was second, the piece I would’ve wanted if the other fell through was first.

But with that, my strategy did work! I placed my best and final bid on the second piece. I was higher bidder for a week, and then just before pre-bidding closed, I was outbid.

Which then freed me up for the first piece which I won!

(and truth be told, the second piece ended up going for way more than my best and final so I can’t even be sad about missing out as I never had a chance!)

Perfect circumstance where it made total sense to try and accelerate price discovery on the piece that would have been the consolation prize while keeping your cards close to the vest on the piece you really wanted. 

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, tth2 said:

Note to self:  punish bid the hell out of GAtor on Surfer pages :devil:

But only if you know which ones I have to have lol