• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Comic Art Auctions Now On Wednesday
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I recently consigned some pieces to HA and when I checked I noticed they were all ending on A Wednesday instead of the normal Monday I have become accustomed to. I spoke with my rep and he explained that Wednesday was the new day all weekly comic art will be sold on, it will be it’s own auction from now on.

Thoughts on this? Do you think moving art to its own weekly auction will help? Were you aware the change occurred starting this week?

I wasn't too thrilled when they moved the weekly auctions from Sunday to Monday, but it didn't seem to have much impact on price.  I doubt this will either, except potentially for the first week or two until people get used to it.  Since the weekly auctions start with original art, I would think the starting time would stay the same, so not much impact there. 

On the plus side, this should enable them to include more art in the weekly auctions going forward.  Pricing is so crazy right now that selling via auction is really the only way to get a good gauge of "fair market value".

I found out about the move two days ago after I couldn’t for the life of me find the comic art auctions on Monday. 

Not sure how this will impact bidding. I feel like nothing goes under the radar anymore. I know that I always forget to put in my proxy bids on Monday, maybe this time I’ll remember since it’s midweek. 

I find the whole thing more confusing now. Sunday weeklies and platinum auctions were easy to follow. But looking at the comic category returns multiple specialized and focused auctions: CGC Signature X-men collection, Certified DC Comics Special Titles, Certified DC Science Fiction/Fantasy, etc. etc.

Edited by cstojano

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I recently consigned some pieces to HA and when I checked I noticed they were all ending on A Wednesday instead of the normal Monday I have become accustomed to. I spoke with my rep and he explained that Wednesday was the new day all weekly comic art will be sold on, it will be it’s own auction from now on.

Thoughts on this? Do you think moving art to its own weekly auction will help? Were you aware the change occurred starting this week?

Theoretically, it might result in lower prices because collectors who buy both comics and art may not be interested enough to spend another evening at it (although with OA, pricing is always academic, and in this market, the pricing is a guess). 

If it wasn't for this post I wouldn't have known. Interesting that there isn't a banner or mention in the usual Sunday/Monday listings. When I looked a few days ago I thought it was weird that there weren't any pages in for this Monday and just assumed it was due to the big auction going on now. 

2 minutes ago, Hockeyflow33 said:

If it wasn't for this post I wouldn't have known. Interesting that there isn't a banner or mention in the usual Sunday/Monday listings. When I looked a few days ago I thought it was weird that there weren't any pages in for this Monday and just assumed it was due to the big auction going on now. 

This is exactly what happened to me and what I thought. 

The move makes sense in light of the volume of comic books (and related materials) on offer.  HA has already segregated video games and trading cards into their own auction (Tuesday nights). 

Will the move matter?  Not, from my perspective, for OA.  Assuming that HA is offering items which I am interested in, I will "attend" the OA auction on Wednesday night instead of Monday.  For other items, it may matter.  I have occasionally bid on "memorabilia" which formerly sold with OA on Monday nights (after OA and animation), making it more likely that I'd stick around to bid.  Memorabilia, however, remains on Monday nights, which makes it less likely that I'd be a bidder (having to remember both to check the Monday night comic book auction listing and then attend the auction on Monday night).  Unlikely that I'd plan my Monday evening around an auction offering one item of interest (unless it was a must-have piece).    

I noticed the Wednesday night OA sale when it first appeared on the HA website auction schedule maybe 1-2 weeks ago.  I thought it odd that there had been no formal announcement until I received the HA weekly comic email which discussed the move.  CAF also reported the new date as a "Comic Art News" item fairly recently.   

On 6/18/2021 at 11:31 AM, zhamlau said:

Tonight is the 1st time the weekly OA auctions close on Wednesday.

let’s see if there’s any deals to be had

Edited by jjonahjameson11

Well it appears some deals were able to be had tonight, saw a few out right steals (even took a few home tonight). Have a few pieces in next weeks auction, hoping they do well but if it’s a buyers market again I’ll make sure to load up to offset.

So my auctions end tonight, they look a little low but have some watchers. I think they will be mostly ok but I’ll know in 10 hours. I think there are a gonna be a few deals to be had in this auction as I’m not sure if all traditional bidders know to check Wednesday now, that’s the concern anyway.

Not that I was all THAT serious about buying comics.  But I missed some HA comics auctions because I was actually focusing on HA's Wednesday comic art auctions.

Edited by Will_K