• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2023 at 11:33 PM, tth2 said:

Looks like a bunch more Promise books will be coming up in the September Signature Auction.

If there were also Garfield strips, my joy would be complete! :cloud9:

On 7/22/2023 at 8:33 PM, tth2 said:

Looks like a bunch more Promise books will be coming up in the September Signature Auction.

I guess when everybody here said the Promise Collection brought in a lot of newbie money from outside the hobby like the crypto guys, sports cards collectors, and the likes, they probably forgot to include the lucky sado machist winners who's now having all of their wild and crazy punishing fantasies fulfilled to the max with these Promise retread auction results:  :fear:lol

Slave chained Royalty Free Stock Images

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/23/2023 at 11:24 PM, adamstrange said:
On 7/23/2023 at 11:33 AM, tth2 said:

If there were also Garfield strips, my joy would be complete!

Your ship has come in! :applause:

On 7/23/2023 at 4:17 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Interesting. Not a single Timely listed so far

It's probably a combination of the risk factors ...given the perception of some Promise grades... and the fact that Timely collectors really love their comics.  

Let me state upfront that many of the high grade Promise books look dead-on for their grades.  But the weak auction results might be caused by strongly held views that some of the Promise books are perceived as over-graded which is having a dampening effect on this pedigree's overall hammer prices.  I know it isn't fair to the comics, bidders, current owners of the books or the graders because many Promise books look right grade-wise. But trust is a fragile thing in the marketplace ...especially with top graded books and nose-bleed prices... and a few bruised apples can potentially spoil the barrel. My common cents worth, ...nonsense is extra.

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
ALE!

On 7/23/2023 at 11:55 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I know it isn't fair to the comics, bidders, current owners of the books or the graders because many Promise books look right grade-wise. But trust is a fragile thing in the marketplace ...especially with top graded books and nose-bleed prices... and a few bruised apples can potentially spoil the barrel.

Totally agree with the points which you have made here.  (thumbsu

As I have said here here before in the past, the Promise Collection is indded a top notch pedigree collection, and as such, deserved to have top notch grading done by the gang at CGC.  By this, I mean consistent and accurate grading, as opposed to either overly soft or overly tight grading, and in this sense the perception of inconsistency with respect to grading of the Promise Collection has in my mind seriously damaged the reputation of this pedigree going forward.  :(

In this day and age of certification where the CPR game seems to be so embedded into the whole certification process, the mere fact that out of the almost 200 Promise books that have come back into the marketplace, only 5 have successfully had their grades changed either upwards or downwards seems rather odd.  This definitely gives pause as to how the books from the Promise Collection were originally graded and why there seems to be such abject fear to even try to play the usual go to CPR game when it comes to the Promise books relative to other certified books. hm (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/24/2023 at 12:44 AM, lou_fine said:

Totally agree with the points which you have made here.  (thumbsu

As I have said here here before in the past, the Promise Collection is indded a top notch pedigree collection, and as such, deserved to have top notch grading done by the gang at CGC.  By this, I mean consistent and accurate grading, as opposed to either overly soft or overly tight grading, and in this sense the perception of inconsistency with respect to grading of the Promise Collection has in my mind seriously damaged the reputation of this pedigree going forward.  :(

In this day and age of certification where the CPR game seems to be so embedded into the whole certification process, the mere fact that out of the almost 200 Promise books that have come back into the marketplace, only 5 have successfully had their grades changed either upwards or downwards seems rather odd.  This definitely gives pause as to how the books from the Promise Collection were originally graded and why there seems to be such abject fear to even try to play the usual go to CPR game when it comes to the Promise books relative to other certified books. hm (shrug)

I seem to recall (or have a vague mental recollection) that a lot of the Promise books were "pre-optimized" (read pressed) prior to encapsulation.  That may be a reason why so few are getting CPR'd... hm

On 7/27/2023 at 5:13 PM, sfcityduck said:

Promise Detective 135 originally sold for $26.4K (approximately $22K more than any other copy Heritage has sold) is back on the market.

But is it a 9.8?

lf?set=path%5B2%2F8%2F2%2F1%2F8%2F28218416%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

No book with prominent writing in the middle of the cover is 9.8. I don't care if GCG wants to pretend it isn't there. 

On 7/27/2023 at 3:37 PM, MrBedrock said:

I disagree.

I'm ok with the writing. It's the miscut with the top edge descending to the right and the bottom edge ascending to the right that give me pause as I look at exposed interior pages on the bottom and top. Along with the misalignment. And the rough edges on the top, right, and bottom. And the rub in the Batman graphic top left.

On 7/27/2023 at 5:48 PM, sfcityduck said:

I'm ok with the writing. It's the miscut with the top edge descending to the right and the bottom edge ascending to the right that give me pause as I look at exposed interior pages on the bottom and top. Along with the misalignment. And the rough edges on the top, right, and bottom. And the rub in the Batman graphic top left.

so based on the scan you can state unequivocally that this book is not a 9.8?

On 7/27/2023 at 3:54 PM, MrBedrock said:

so based on the scan you can state unequivocally that this book is not a 9.8?

I'm just asking the question. I have an opinion.  We all have opinions. Even CGC. I wouldn't want to pay the premium unless 9.8 was a consensus.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 7/27/2023 at 5:55 PM, sfcityduck said:

I'm just asking the question. I have an opinion.  We all have opinions. Even CGC.

Sure. We can ask questions about every book ever graded.

And that is exactly what is happening in these Promise threads. A ton of folks cast disparaging comments on every book posted. It is getting a little tiresome.

On 7/27/2023 at 3:58 PM, MrBedrock said:

And that is exactly what is happening in these Promise threads. A ton of folks cast disparaging comments on every book posted. It is getting a little tiresome.

You see more 9.8s than me. My best GA submission only hit 9.6. I'm not jaded.  And I'm not spending much time questioning grades. But a 9.8 is notable.

On 7/28/2023 at 6:48 AM, sfcityduck said:

It's the miscut with the top edge descending to the right and the bottom edge ascending to the right that give me pause as I look at exposed interior pages on the bottom and top. Along with the misalignment. And the rough edges on the top, right, and bottom.

Unless your concern is that there is undisclosed trimming, CGC grades for structural flawlessness, not QP.  There are plenty of miscut/miswrapped/misaligned books that CGC has given a 9.8 grade to.  Prospective buyers can decide for themselves if the aesthetics put them off the book, regardless of the structural grade.  

I always lose interest in a CGC 9.8 late SA or BA book as soon as I see a miswrap or other QP problem.  Which, among other reasons, is why I've never owned a 9.8 GL 76 or HOS 92, two BA books that are notoriously plagued with QP problems.

On 7/27/2023 at 5:58 PM, MrBedrock said:

That's not true, ...it's just tough losing weight as you get older. :Rocket:

Seriously, quibbles about grades only come up in respect to some of the Promise books and only then when there are apparent exceptions which merit the questions. 

On 7/28/2023 at 2:28 AM, tth2 said:

Unless your concern is that there is undisclosed trimming, CGC grades for structural flawlessness, not QP.  There are plenty of miscut/miswrapped/misaligned books that CGC has given a 9.8 grade to.  Prospective buyers can decide for themselves if the aesthetics put them off the book, regardless of the structural grade.  

I always lose interest in a CGC 9.8 late SA or BA book as soon as I see a miswrap or other QP problem.  Which, among other reasons, is why I've never owned a 9.8 GL 76 or HOS 92, two BA books that are notoriously plagued with QP problems.

:goodvsevil: The top and bottom look a little erratic for a machine cut edge, but this is a huge image; I've seen oddly cut edges on DCs before, so your guess is as good as mine. (shrug)    

FTR, out of curiosity I compared this with uploaded images of this issue posted to Google images.

The differences in cut were negligible on most, but there was a white page 7.5 with a slightly better cut and colors which were just as strong.

I'm neutral, but 9.8 does seem a stretch and I do wish CGC took miscut/miswrapped/misaligned books into account for such high grades. hm

:cheers: