• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trading my entire collection...where do I list?
2 2

32 posts in this topic

I am interested in trading my entire RAW collection which includes some really high $ books from silver and bronze ages and some good Marvel runs(about 1250 total comic books) for 1 or several high value CGC graded books. Where would I list this on this site so I don't break any rules while allowing the most potentially interested people to see what I'm offering?

you can do "want to buy" but the rules state you must list a price. So generally people say what you are looking for trade wise and put a ridiculously high BIN to satisfy the rules.

So you have to start somewhere value wise in the trade post and go from there

good luck

46 minutes ago, Mdrguy101 said:

I am interested in trading my entire RAW collection which includes some really high $ books from silver and bronze ages and some good Marvel runs(about 1250 total comic books) for 1 or several high value CGC graded books. Where would I list this on this site so I don't break any rules while allowing the most potentially interested people to see what I'm offering?

Question....why not just get your "really high $ books" graded?

1 hour ago, Mdrguy101 said:

Be forewarned that most people are not usually interested in trading off easily sellable commodities for someone else's unwanted bulk. 

I understand and good point, but my collection includes X Men 1 in 3.5.-4.0 according to "Hey buddy can you spare a grade", Hulk 181 in likely 9.2 or 9.4+, X men 1-163, DD 1-183 and more. It's possible I could just trade the most sought after parts of my collection as well. Thanks for the input.

33 minutes ago, Mdrguy101 said:

I understand and good point, but my collection includes X Men 1 in 3.5.-4.0 according to "Hey buddy can you spare a grade", Hulk 181 in likely 9.2 or 9.4+, X men 1-163, DD 1-183 and more. It's possible I could just trade the most sought after parts of my collection as well. Thanks for the input.

I agree the "Want to Buy" section would be the right one, except it's "Want to Trade" in your case.

Do you have a sense of which "1 or several high value CGC graded books" you would be interested in in return for your collection?  You have a lot of value there.

3 hours ago, Bird said:

you can do "want to buy" but the rules state you must list a price. So generally people say what you are looking for trade wise and put a ridiculously high BIN to satisfy the rules.

So you have to start somewhere value wise in the trade post and go from there

good luck

To be clear, you don't have to list a price in the want to buy section.  You do in the regular selling forum.  If you are doing this in the regular selling section you  would need to post trade only in the title, and place a value on the book or books you will accept in trade value

12. If posting a trading thread you must list a dollar value price for the book that you WILL accept in TRADE VALUE, and you MUST put "TRADE ONLY" in the title of your thread if you will not accept money.

Edited by comicdonna

38 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

To be clear, you don't have to list a price in the want to buy section.  You do in the regular selling forum.  If you are doing this in the regular selling section you  would need to post trade only in the title, and place a value on the book or books you will accept in trade value

12. If posting a trading thread you must list a dollar value price for the book that you WILL accept in TRADE VALUE, and you MUST put "TRADE ONLY" in the title of your thread if you will not accept money.

D'OH! 

what a n00b I am! 

To recap - 

You've got 2 options here: 

1) WTB - and you won't need to list a value. State what you have and what your looking to trade for.

2) Comics market selling area - you can list a trade, but would need to post the value and follow the rules there. 

I haven't seen anyone try to trade this kind of bulk in the market area, but I don't believe it's against the rules as long as you follow the guidelines. 

A few thoughts - 

1. If you zero in on a book you want, you would likely have more luck trading a key for a key (or a few keys for 1 key).
  2. Trading bulk for 1 or a few, you might have better luck working with dealers.  You could go to all the big dealers websites and check to see if they have the books you want, then propose the trade. You will not get top dollar this way, but most collectors don't want the bulk, where dealers can move the inventory of SA and BA books. (I can give you a list of great dealers to check out). 
  3. The best way to maximize value is to sell them, and put the cash toward the books you want. Mycomicshop  can make this process pretty easily. Consign the big books. Cash for the bulk. You can also sell the keys on your own to reduce fees. 
  4. Last thought - keep in mind shipping the bulk can be tough and expensive. So if you go the trade route, it may be best to keep it local or be willing to drive. 

Good luck! Sounds like you've got a great collection! 

Great advice. Thanks all. My thought process is, maybe someone wants an entire X men run or DD run etc and they can deal with getting them  C&P, graded etc and maximize value by selling them individually. I don't have the time, expertise or inclination to do that. And since I do have fairly high value in my collection I just thought trading my x men 1-161 RAW for say X men 1 in CGC 6.5 (example only), could benefit both parties. Me by getting an already graded, more easily salable comic and the other party who would be getting more than his one CGC book is worth (potentially a lot more), but would then have to deal with grading etc, something he likely would have far more experience with than me. So I thought this would be an easy win/win as opposed to trying to get $50,000 cash from somebody. Anyway I will consider what to do now that its been explained how I can go about it. Thanks to all who provided info.

31 minutes ago, Mdrguy101 said:

Great advice. Thanks all. My thought process is, maybe someone wants an entire X men run or DD run etc and they can deal with getting them  C&P, graded etc and maximize value by selling them individually. I don't have the time, expertise or inclination to do that. And since I do have fairly high value in my collection I just thought trading my x men 1-161 RAW for say X men 1 in CGC 6.5 (example only), could benefit both parties. Me by getting an already graded, more easily salable comic and the other party who would be getting more than his one CGC book is worth (potentially a lot more), but would then have to deal with grading etc, something he likely would have far more experience with than me. So I thought this would be an easy win/win as opposed to trying to get $50,000 cash from somebody. Anyway I will consider what to do now that its been explained how I can go about it. Thanks to all who provided info.

You can always propose the trade here first and see if anyone bites and then pursue other avenues. 

MCS does make selling fairly easy for people with quality collections who don't necessiraly have the expertise. I haven't actually worked with them, but my understanding is, they consign or auction the big books and can make a cash offer for the rest. It takes the burden off you and you can maximize your return.  Then take the cash and buy an X1 or AF15 your looking for. 

MCS will also "pay" in trade credit. I've started sending my bulk books to them, either through selling to them directly or consigning, building up my credit then grabbing a big book off their site when one shows up in their inventory. 

The caveat of this situation is that you want to trade raw keys/runs for graded keys. There's an inherent risk of restoration,(among other things), so while you may have an X-Men #1 4.0 and IH 181 NM, they're not evaluated by a professional 3rd party. So keep in mind that you will be trading with some disadvantage.

At least you have stuff that people actually want! Fresh pace to the Newbie sub-forum.

Yes, I likely will have to do any trade in person so the other party can inspect everything. It isn't perfect or easy, but if I sold everything I'd probably have to deal with a similar scenario. I thought trading would be easier, but perhaps I will investigate a sale.

12 hours ago, Mdrguy101 said:

You should get them graded

2 hours ago, Bob Troub said:

You should get them graded

Agreed - if you want full value. Maybe go to your local comic shop and see if they have a CGC account to submit? Then they can take care of all the steps it sounds like you don’t want to deal with. For those big books (X-men 1, IH 181, DD1) especially - where you can lose a decent percentage in sale price if you sell them raw. Of course I say this assuming no restoration is found.  But, IMO you’d rather find that out first rather than selling/trading them raw and having the other person come back and say you sold/traded them a restored book. 

Just throwing it out.

depending on the size of your super keys and you collection, you can consider consignment with a large dealer.  They will assess what major keys should be slabbed and handle it, and you get get everything out of your house and just collect checks.

others can recommend different places, but you can start with contacting mycomicshop 

or you can lay out more general details about your collection and maybe get better recommendations from folks here.

of course you pay a significant cut to the dealer, but it might be ok

I have considered the various suggestions and proposals people here have put forth (getting the comics graded, consigning etc). The main reason I don't want to use a place like mycomicshop or send books out to be graded and or cleaned and pressed is because I am too nervous about the risk of damage/loss during shipping and the difficulty in trying to collect on an insurance claim if something were to go wrong during shipping on books I bought 40 years ago. Anyway, long story short I have zero interest in shipping any books anywhere. I am looking for an in person transaction. I will provide a detailed inventory of my books and a collector with interest can come to my town, inspect everything in person, come up with their valuation and then we can negotiate on a CGC graded comic to trade for the whole collection or cash if they have it. I'd rather deal with a real collector than a consignment site. I just wanted to know where the proper place on this site to list such a proposed transaction would be. Thanks for the advice everyone.