• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible for a 9.9 or 10.0 to maintain that grade indefinitely?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Just seems like time would catch up & lower the grade, even if you did your best to keep it away from UV lights, water, sharp objects, TNT, etc.  Just consider how delicate slabs can be & how arbitrary grading seems to be at times.

Someone out there owns a 9.9 IH #181.  Wonder what they are doing.  Anyone want to guess how much it's worth in today's market?  Before anyone asks, no I am not that person lol

Anyways, thoughts on this?

22 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I have a 9.9.  I'd never have it reholdered.  Shipping from CGC to the seller and then to me probably lowered the grade.

The label still says 9.9!  :banana::devil:

To me it seems very stressful.  You either have to never get it re-holdered or risk losing it all in doing so.  Who knows what the difference is between a 9.8 & a 9.9 is to CGC, so we won't even get into the grader it lands on.

4 minutes ago, Sky1 said:

To me it seems very stressful.  You either have to never get it re-holdered or risk losing it all in doing so.  Who knows what the difference is between a 9.8 & a 9.9 is to CGC, so we won't even get into the grader it lands on.

I have a 10 from another grading company.  I tried to convince myself to submit it for cross-over grading, so that I might add it to one of my registry sets but I just couldn't do it.

19 hours ago, Yorick said:

I have a 10 from another grading company.  I tried to convince myself to submit it for cross-over grading, so that I might add it to one of my registry sets but I just couldn't do it.

I'd only do it if it is PGX.  I straight up rather have a 9.6 CGC slab then a 10.0 PGX one.  I'm shocked that their website isn't just full of animated gifs and a MIDI file playing in the background.  They will always be that type of company to me.

3 hours ago, Sky1 said:

I'd only do it if it is PGX.  I straight up rather have a 9.6 CGC slab then a 10.0 PGX one.  I'm shocked that their website isn't just full of animated gifs and a MIDI file playing in the background.  They will always be that type of company to me.

Actually, it is one of those.  However, the submitter was/is an overstock warehouse that sent piles of the same books for grading.  Only a few came back as 9.9s or 10s (maybe three?).  Over time the "lesser" copies didn't sell, and then they were sent to CGC for cross-over grading.  From what I saw, the cross-over books maintained their grades.  In this case, it's not about the grading company.  It has everything to do with the submitter having piles of the same unread issues, and of those, picking the "best" of the overstock.  Provenance matters sometimes.

I am referring to a mid-1980s book.  So it's not worth attempting a re-grade.  I'll just buy another copy if I "need" a CGC 9.8.

On 6/23/2021 at 4:18 PM, Sky1 said:

Just seems like time would catch up & lower the grade, even if you did your best to keep it away from UV lights, water, sharp objects, TNT, etc.  Just consider how delicate slabs can be & how arbitrary grading seems to be at times.

Someone out there owns a 9.9 IH #181.  Wonder what they are doing.  Anyone want to guess how much it's worth in today's market?  Before anyone asks, no I am not that person lol

Anyways, thoughts on this?

maintaining a 9.9 and a 10 is as easy to maintain as a 9.8. Essentially, a 9.9 and a 10.0 do not have more wear than a 9.8, they just have less manufacturing flaws and perfectly centered covers. Handling a 10.0 or a 9.8 would create finger bend, lowering the grade, but they could be pressed and removed, retaining whatever grade it got. There is a 9.9 Wolverine 1 which was handled a bunch of times to get a bunch of signatures and keeps being 9.9.

So while 9.9s and 10.0s are much rarer than a 9.8, they are equal in terms to how fragile their grade is. If you are confident in a 9.8 remaining a 9.8 over time, same goes for the higher rarer grades. 

I'd be more concerned about how and where you store the comic instead of worrying about reholdering. A slab will do squat if the comic is stored in a hot, humid environment for a long period of time. There's a reason all those Edgar Church comics have fresh white pages

Edited by Jeffro.

On 6/24/2021 at 5:41 PM, Yorick said:

Actually, it is one of those.  However, the submitter was/is an overstock warehouse that sent piles of the same books for grading.  Only a few came back as 9.9s or 10s (maybe three?).  Over time the "lesser" copies didn't sell, and then they were sent to CGC for cross-over grading.  From what I saw, the cross-over books maintained their grades.  In this case, it's not about the grading company.  It has everything to do with the submitter having piles of the same unread issues, and of those, picking the "best" of the overstock.  Provenance matters sometimes.

I am referring to a mid-1980s book.  So it's not worth attempting a re-grade.  I'll just buy another copy if I "need" a CGC 9.8.

You might be the first person who ever said anything nice about PGX that I read here, by nice I mean not using the word trash & PGX in the same sentence, lol.  I just lost any respect for them when I read they attempted to steal someone's TMNT #1 by switching it out with a later printing.  You cannot make up for that, no matter what you do your reputation is forever ruined with me personally.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:02 AM, William-James88 said:

maintaining a 9.9 and a 10 is as easy to maintain as a 9.8. Essentially, a 9.9 and a 10.0 do not have more wear than a 9.8, they just have less manufacturing flaws and perfectly centered covers. Handling a 10.0 or a 9.8 would create finger bend, lowering the grade, but they could be pressed and removed, retaining whatever grade it got. There is a 9.9 Wolverine 1 which was handled a bunch of times to get a bunch of signatures and keeps being 9.9.

So while 9.9s and 10.0s are much rarer than a 9.8, they are equal in terms to how fragile their grade is. If you are confident in a 9.8 remaining a 9.8 over time, same goes for the higher rarer grades. 

Thanks for this response.  It certainly should be a confidence booster to anyone out there that own rare hi-grade slabs.

Edited by Sky1
Typo.

3 hours ago, Sky1 said:

You might be the first person who ever said anything nice about PGX that I read here, by nice I mean not using the word trash & PGX in the same sentence, lol.  I just lost any respect for them when I read they attempted to steal someone's TMNT #1 by switching it out with a later printing.  You cannot make up for that, no matter what you do your reputation is forever ruined with me personally.

I have not heard about a TMNT switcheroo.  Interesting.  I've only heard about their "gift grades" and lack of restoration detection.  Comic grading should never be a monopoly, otherwise our hobby may not last.  I sent all my Golden Age books to CGC for cross-over service back when they were offering it for $5 a book (IF the grade dropped).  There are some threads here where other collectors note the before (PGX or CBCS) and after grades (CGC).

If you have modern books that are not worth high-dollar amounts, but you want to do more than putting them in a bag and board - what is the cheapest course of action?  PGX will also note things on the labels that I tell them to (I give them accurate info).

17 minutes ago, K.P.D. said:
38 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Comic grading should never be a monopoly, otherwise our hobby may not last.

lol we don't need no stinkin' slabbing companies to keep this hobby alive :screwy:

Agreed, but sadly there's no getting that horse back in the barn.

Just now, Jeffro. said:

Agreed, but sadly there's no getting that horse back in the barn.

HA has quite a few raw books in their current auction... :baiting:

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

I have not heard about a TMNT switcheroo.  Interesting.  I've only heard about their "gift grades" and lack of restoration detection.  Comic grading should never be a monopoly, otherwise our hobby may not last.  I sent all my Golden Age books to CGC for cross-over service back when they were offering it for $5 a book (IF the grade dropped).  There are some threads here where other collectors note the before (PGX or CBCS) and after grades (CGC).

If you have modern books that are not worth high-dollar amounts, but you want to do more than putting them in a bag and board - what is the cheapest course of action?  PGX will also note things on the labels that I tell them to (I give them accurate info).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJ4VwFHSp4

26 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

Then there was that time MagicDan visited the CGC boards to tell his story...

thanks for the link - I got thru 10 pages or so then skipped to the last page  - so was there ever a definitive answer as to what happened?

That last page had a post which read:  (edit - just realized that you wrote that post)

"A week or so back a forum member(goldeneye), claimed that MagicDan had admitted as much to the whole thing being a fraud on the CPG forum in order to burn PGX. No link was provided. My impression after viewing the video initially was the entire thing was staged."

Edited by csaag
add extra