• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Byrne Beast partially inked sketch from Hakes
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I wasn’t planning on changing it at all.  To me some of the line work looks a bit wobbly so I was wondering if it might have been a more amateur inker making an attempt at it as opposed to Byrne himself (maybe in a rush thus unfinished). 

20 minutes ago, dspair said:

a more amateur inker making an attempt at it as opposed to Byrne himself

That's what I think - not Byrne and lacks confidence so possibly not pro.

25 minutes ago, dspair said:

I wasn’t planning on changing it at all.  To me some of the line work looks a bit wobbly so I was wondering if it might have been a more amateur inker making an attempt at it as opposed to Byrne himself (maybe in a rush thus unfinished). 

Congrats on winning it. Somebody told me once that they knew someone who (amateur) attempted inking unfinished Byrne or Cockrum pieces they got at a comic show in the eighties. Can't remember if that person was on the boards.

5 hours ago, Bird said:

a good person's opinion on this would be @stinkininkin!

well, looking harder I also doubt JB but I wonder what Scott thinks in general?

This inking is...not good. Don't want to denigrate a new piece that a collector is happy to have just won, but the inks are completely amateur, and for the pencils underneath, a bit of a tragedy. That said, the OP said he is happy with his new purchase, so that's all that should matter for him!

Edited by stinkininkin

11 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

This inking is...not good. Don't want to denigrate a new piece that a collector is happy to have just won, but the inks are completely amateur, and for the pencils underneath, a bit of a tragedy. That said, the OP said he is happy with his new purchase, so that's all that should matter for him!

Thanks for the comment.  I’m happy that I got it relatively cheaply!  (for an original Byrne pencil sketch of an X-man/Avenger)…I’ll just have to appreciate it from far enough away.  🤣

-Will

2 hours ago, dspair said:

Thanks for the comment.  I’m happy that I got it relatively cheaply!  (for an original Byrne pencil sketch of an X-man/Avenger)…I’ll just have to appreciate it from far enough away.  🤣

-Will

While I don't follow Byrne sketch prices that closely, I am certain you got it "cheaply" (due to the inks). This piece without inks/raw pencils would be several thousand $$$$, and inked by Byrne or Austin several thousand plus. 

20 minutes ago, artdealer said:

Yes he does commissions. 
contact Spencer Beck

Thank you for resolving that bit of misinformation MI ;) 

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Austin is retired 

I honestly think a good inker could work with that and make it uniform and cleaned up. How great would a finished vintage Byrne/Austin piece be? The work I saw from Austin from a few years ago (I believe) was top flight still. 

Is Byrne still taking time away from commissions to work on his personal projects ??  Maybe try getting on his waiting list and get him to finish it off ?