• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are people collecting facsimile editions?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I really like the facsimile editions and have started looking for some I missed, I was surprised to see on ebay and mcs that some are expensive. Are these becoming collectible/valueable? 

Is there a checklist somewhere of all the issues?

Yeah, I mean people collect barbed wire, it's not a stretch that they're collecting these facsimile editions. (thumbsu

Yeah, I don't understand it either, but at the same time they probably don't understand comic collecting. But I do struggle to see how you get enjoyment from a shelf of small sections of barbed wire. 

13 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

a shelf of small sections of barbed wire. 

Warning sign of a potential chainsaw murderer, up there with furniture made of bones 😄

Is there a online resource that lists all of the facsimile editions?

3 hours ago, BrooksR said:

Warning sign of a potential chainsaw murderer, up there with furniture made of bones 😄

Is there a online resource that lists all of the facsimile editions?

Go to MCS and type in facsimile.  I think they have them all there whether available or not.  

They are nicely made.  The big keys have a chance to sustain value as people realize they can't afford the real deal anymore.

6 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Yeah, I don't understand it either, but at the same time they probably don't understand comic collecting. But I do struggle to see how you get enjoyment from a shelf of small sections of barbed wire. 

Well there were literally thousands of different kinds of barbed wire designs patented and made in the 19th century, plus handmade one of a kind barbed wires..It's actually pretty cool....

I missed out on the facsimile editions of Avengers 1 and 4. I don't have the originals so, it would be nice for them to be stand in copies. I have bought around 4 or 5 of them. Some were 1 dollar, it's a bargain for just reading. I heard that someone had a facsimile of TOD # 10 slabbed. 

2 hours ago, Icctrombone said:

I missed out on the facsimile editions of Avengers 1 and 4. I don't have the originals so, it would be nice for them to be stand in copies. I have bought around 4 or 5 of them. Some were 1 dollar, it's a bargain for just reading. I heard that someone had a facsimile of TOD # 10 slabbed. 

there’s lots of slabbed facsimiles on ebay. Where did you find them for $1? That’s awesome 😎 

23 hours ago, BrooksR said:

there’s lots of slabbed facsimiles on ebay. Where did you find them for $1? That’s awesome 😎 

There's a few comic shops that have them on spinner racks. It must be older stock, so I got them. A place in Queens NY had facsimiles of  Batman 251 and TOD 10 for the cover price. 

I pick them up when I see them cheap and I have begun keeping many instead of reselling them. Especially the big Marvel keys. I seem to still sell the dc milleniums but keep a few of those too.

Hmm…I didn’t think many collected the facsimile copies I wanted some as readers or to display of my originals but it’s interesting to see if they are starting to gain value 

I can see why people would collect these. Anyone can get a collected edition or a digital copy of the original stories to read but having it in a physical single issue format is pretty cool for display purposes or even to share with someone getting interested in comics.

I don't quite see the slab appeal of a facsimile and believe they should always be available at cover price. Seems easy money for the likes of Marvel or DC and as most collectors nowadays will never be able to afford an original it's the next best thing to holding it in your hands!

I find the ads to be a great touch too, they REALLY add a lot to the package, seeing what sort of oddities were available and for how much. Great fun.