• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THIEF ATTEMPTING TO SELL STOLEN COMICS
2 2

77 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I mean, if they want to go through some of my drek boxes and take that, they're welcome to it. It'd be nice to have that space back. I'll even tell them where to look, and help them bag it up. 

There is no shame in throwing things out. 

50 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I mean, if they want to go through some of my drek boxes and take that, they're welcome to it. It'd be nice to have that space back. I'll even tell them where to look, and help them bag it up. 

Labl the drek boxes "very valuable books".  And the good stuff "to be tossed".

5 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

Sure if by “These days” you mean always? I had my car broken into 20 years ago and the police told me to go check the pawn shop because that’s my best bet to find my stuff.  Non-violent burglaries are never really a priority for police. And to be honest it makes sense, that’s why you have insurance. I’d much prefer the police spend there time solving violent crimes then spend time and money trying to get back my comics I have insured anyways. 

Lol so true.....I bet in ancient Roman times the imperial guard would be like, look we're dealing some Germantic tribes here, I don't care about your dumb trinkets! 

Like when my brother's motorcycle was stolen we walked around and found it 3 blocks away.  When someone steals a motorcycle thye just push it a short distance.  I have found 3 stolen motorcycles by realizing this fact.  Cops uninterested in doing some sting and grabbin culprit.

No wonder there's so much crime tho-no consequences really.   I knew dude that stole a bait bike-they scramble a helicopter and everything.  His entire sentence was one night in jail.  Sounds good on the news tho so keeps population happy I guess.
"We're out aggressively fightin crime!"

18 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Maybe he's afraid to have his bum licked*. 

*See the image of that issue of Sports Novels. 

I'm thinking my post has taken a turn towards the abstract. Innuendo aside and legs akimbo, there at last is pause in the dramatic concerning stance pertaining to politico,  Mayhap,  perchance focus can be maintained concerning the blatant disregard for others property and place of domestic tranquility.  Allowance for future  efforts by the insufficiently thougtfless individual whom is attempting to loosen his load at my loss suffer from ridicule and scorn and contempt from the community within our framework of heirarchy in relationship to ones collecting preferences. Funny animals, duper heroes and cowboy superstars from days long gone shall always be held in reverence, high regard  and on a pedestal. They have been a stepping stone and a backbone within our hobby from the earliest days to the present and should not be poo pooed because there is not an individual cumulative financial total that falls short of just one or two pop culture anomalies that have yet to withstand the test of time. To each their own. 

In the words of those less fortunate, 

thanks for the input?

IMG_3400.JPG

One short box of Bronze Age king size and giant size books.

Runs of Defenders, Master of King Fu, Daredevil, Avengers, Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-man, Captain America, 

Nova, What If, Marvel Fanfare, Conan, etc all gone due to an experienced criminal who fished my friend and exploited naïveté and a zest to want to share unnecessarily with the world his collection. Let the bragger beware for the world is watching and sometimes the egg less golden in one eye is certainly a means to an end to another. 

IMG_8356.JPG

If I may chime in here to clarify that it isn't exactly politic-al, so hopefully the mod(s) don't reign down on me for shedding a little more light on what's happening in San Francisco. I'm going to talk about law, which does not break the rules of speaking about prohibited subject matter.

This is a legality measure that's created a sort of loophole in San Fran; it's similar to principles that retail stores like Border's Books used to have wherein employees were literally told not to confront observed shoplifters- their rationale was because of the risk of a mistake even then which would lead to a lawsuit. As a result, theft from bookstores was quite commonplace.

What's happening in SF is a result of a change in law that reclassified theft as a misdemeanor. Now to the OP, I can't remember what the limit is to keep it as a misdemeanor (I am sharing this from memory and believe this became the norm in 2015? 16? Around there) but it certainly can't be a limit of over $1,000, surely. As your collection is clearly worth MORE than a grand- this would therefore make it more than a misdemeanor so it essentially should be investigated tho' you likely have to wait for them to turn their attention towards it. I'm sorry, I know it's frustrating. But basically, this is what's going on in that city- it's a kind of loophole and since people know about it, it's emboldened them a bit more to take risks. 

13 hours ago, Cobbledclam said:

One short box of Bronze Age king size and giant size books.

Runs of Defenders, Master of King Fu, Daredevil, Avengers, Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-man, Captain America, 

Nova, What If, Marvel Fanfare, Conan, etc all gone due to an experienced criminal who fished my friend and exploited naïveté and a zest to want to share unnecessarily with the world his collection. Let the bragger beware for the world is watching and sometimes the egg less golden in one eye is certainly a means to an end to another. 

IMG_8356.JPG

This is a good point...there are a number of collectors that post about having garage sales as a good way to get rid of cheap books -  no way in hell I'm advertising to the comic community where I live.  Politics and socio-economics aside, counting on a policing body to recover stolen property is a moot point and shouldn't be counted on.  We need to be smart and protect our belongings, a few years back I knew of a major theft in my city - tons of valuable comics (TMNT 9.4 first print), pokemons, cards, etc - the owner had them in a storage facility in his building.  I felt bad for him, but why on earth would you have collectibles not upstairs in your condominium unit???

15 hours ago, kav said:

Labl the drek boxes "very valuable books".  And the good stuff "to be tossed".

I put all my top tier keys in a cat-%@$ stained short box labelled 'free $%*@ '.

Edited by spreads

On 7/7/2021 at 1:35 PM, Cobbledclam said:

assault, spousal abuse, resisting arrest , firing a gun at a moving vehicle etc etc etc. Police have yet to respond even with overwhelming evidence due to no violence involved.

All that isn't considered "violent"?

36 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

All that isn't considered "violent"?

I'm guessing they're separate incidents.  Though you'd think if the guy does have convictions for all of those offenses on his record, the police would be a bit more inclined to investigate him for felony theft. 

7 hours ago, spreads said:

This is a good point...there are a number of collectors that post about having garage sales as a good way to get rid of cheap books -  no way in hell I'm advertising to the comic community where I live.  Politics and socio-economics aside, counting on a policing body to recover stolen property is a moot point and shouldn't be counted on.  We need to be smart and protect our belongings, a few years back I knew of a major theft in my city - tons of valuable comics (TMNT 9.4 first print), pokemons, cards, etc - the owner had them in a storage facility in his building.  I felt bad for him, but why on earth would you have collectibles not upstairs in your condominium unit???

Exactly. Same with medications. I have an illness that requires quite serious meds, and I get asked what I take for it, in online discussions and IRL. I never answer that, for the same reason. I don't want to advertise 'Good Stuff Here!', that'd be foolish. 

17 hours ago, wisbyron said:

This is a legality measure that's created a sort of loophole in San Fran; it's similar to principles that retail stores like Border's Books used to have wherein employees were literally told not to confront observed shoplifters- their rationale was because of the risk of a mistake even then which would lead to a lawsuit. As a result, theft from bookstores was quite commonplace.

Lol 😂 

What employees are told to do in stores versus what they actually do are two totally separate things.  There MAY be a recording of Sears Security (Loss Prevention) closed circuit TV footage from the mid 90’s showing security full blown tackling people trying to steal.  That footage might have been compiled with a musical background for viewing pleasure.  The music might be Rhyming and Stealing from the Beastie Boys among others such as Cypress Hill’s when the **** goes down. 

If that existed then everyone in that video might have become a cop, fireman or transit authority… most are retired.  If it existed it might be pulled out from time to time at summer bbqs. 

Thank god no one had cell phone cameras in the 90’s.