• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s up with Ernie Gerber Enterprises?
6 6

191 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2021 at 7:44 AM, JollyComics said:

My LCS is waiting for all different kinds of bags and boards for a month.

Using my alternative, I decided to order the bags and boards via Graham Crackers website.  I received them but the brand names I never heard of.  Comic ProLine & Vintage Collectible and Accessories.  Surprisedly both companies' prices are 1/4 less than BCW price.  Nice qualify.

I've got like 6000 BCW bags and boards backordered and have had to pick up batches of 1000 here and there in the meantime from other manufacturers (separate from the eGerber needs)... so I checked out the Comic ProLine site but I can't get them to be even close to the BCW price for a case for Silver/Standard. (They're actually 50% over in general for a case.) You can also get further 10% discounts on the BCW site. It's unfortunate because since Fun Yet went under years ago, and since the current shortage, I don't have another current source. (The HotFlips bags and boards I received were very tight together for some reason and I had trouble pairing them. Using BCW Silver bags with HotFlips boards did work better for my temp/short term books when I ran out of BCW boards.) 

(I'm out again basically and need to order some more in the interim.)

Been dealing with these issues for months. My three suppliers of choice are completely out of comic bags of all sizes. Had to order 10,000 of Diamond’s terrible bags as a stopgap just to have something at all. I still have around 3500 Mylites and Fullbacks from my last order of 10k of each. But we probably have 6,000 books that “need” them and I’m operating under the assumption I won’t see more until May or June so I need to make them last. 

My primary supplier for comic boards (which raised their prices 30% a couple months ago) said they expect to be completely out of them by the end of the year, not to see any more until April or May, and to expect another price increase of 30-40% percent when they do come back in. I wouldn’t be surprised if we are charging $20 a pack of 100 for boring old comic boards by next summer.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:56 PM, sckao said:

I've got like 6000 BCW bags and boards backordered and have had to pick up batches of 1000 here and there in the meantime from other manufacturers (separate from the eGerber needs)... so I checked out the Comic ProLine site but I can't get them to be even close to the BCW price for a case for Silver/Standard. (They're actually 50% over in general for a case.) You can also get further 10% discounts on the BCW site.

I'm not as particular as many folks around here with my bags and boards, but I have found that halfbacks when bought in 2000 lots direct from E. Gerber are as cheap as any "treated on one side" boards as I've found, so I go with everyone's favorites.

On the everyday bag side, I've been pretty happy with my recent purchase from Clear Bags. A nice bag, and a good price in bulk. They'll even send you some free samples.

On 11/6/2021 at 6:33 PM, ttfitz said:

I'm not as particular as many folks around here with my bags and boards, but I have found that halfbacks when bought in 2000 lots direct from E. Gerber are as cheap as any "treated on one side" boards as I've found, so I go with everyone's favorites.

archival shiznit, cheaper than the other stuff.  :banana:

In the long run and if this were for my personal collection, I agree. I'd bag everything in a Mylites2 and Full-back.

Everything I'm bagging I'm assuming I will never see again shortly (hopefully), so I'm trying to keep my costs down while at least protecting the comic somewhat in the interim. (Some of these comics have been bagged for over 30 years with no boards. Some with NO bags or boards at all but actually look pretty good due to having been in a massive undisturbed block of long boxes.)

There's also this weird tradition I've noticed that some people will replace any bag/board of any comic they buy with their own... so I while I hope everyone is recycling, I'm re-using used backing boards myself as filler/dividers/spacers for some boxes to help keep comics upright.

Edited by sckao

On 11/6/2021 at 8:33 PM, ttfitz said:

On the everyday bag side, I've been pretty happy with my recent purchase from Clear Bags. A nice bag, and a good price in bulk. They'll even send you some free samples.

What's the url for Clear Bags? Is. Clearbags.com?  I didn't see anything for comic book bags if it is.

On 11/6/2021 at 11:59 PM, musicmeta said:

What's the url for Clear Bags? Is. Clearbags.com?  I didn't see anything for comic book bags if it is.

It might be hard to find from the main page. Here's the link for all their comic products:

https://www.clearbags.com/bags/clear-bags/specialty/comic

EDIT - if you do order from them, be sure to search online for a promo code, I think they offer a discount for first time buyers.

Edited by ttfitz

On 11/10/2021 at 12:42 PM, JustJimN said:

Just called them to check on an order.

Phone message says they are shut down due to a ransomware attack. 

Might be a while before I or anyone else gets their order.

Hard to believe they had anything sophisticated enough to warrant a ransomware attack...., 

On 11/10/2021 at 2:55 PM, lizards2 said:

Hard to believe they had anything sophisticated enough to warrant a ransomware attack...., 

E. Gerber Products is owned by Diamond Comic Distributors--it's Diamond that was hit with the ransomware attack https://www.diamondcomicsupdates.com/updates/systems-availability-update

Wow, not a good thing at all. The supply chain is a mess for bags and boards and it seems that it will only get worse. Glad I got my supplies when I did.

On 11/10/2021 at 3:55 PM, lizards2 said:

On 11/10/2021 at 3:58 PM, JustJimN said:

Just everyone's credit card numbers.

It didn't seem to be too sophisticated of an operation. I was thinking index cards and rolodexes in a cigarette smoke filled room when I placed my order. Hopefully nothing sensitive was accessed. :wishluck:

Muchsmoke.jpg.60d88147707f43201a1e0fac7db8a156.jpg

On 11/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, universal soldier said:

It didn't seem to be too sophisticated of an operation. I was thinking index cards and rolodexes in a cigarette smoke filled room when I placed my order. Hopefully nothing sensitive was accessed. :wishluck:

So if they are owned by Diamond, I am wondering if Diamond is that unsophisticated as well?

On 11/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, lizards2 said:

So if they are owned by Diamond, I am wondering if Diamond is that unsophisticated as well?

Probably not given the volume they deal with. eGerber seemed a bit less than that but either way ransomware attacks are a scary reality these days. Never ever click on a link or an attachment from an external email. I even think twice if the email is internal...

Well, this is interesting. Thought I'd check and see if their website was back up, and it was. But I noticed at the very bottom of the page they had a new section, for "Non Archival Supplies." The link downloaded a pdf, with this:

image.png.207191e8be7c2dedcd6593eee7f39172.png