• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s up with Ernie Gerber Enterprises?
6 6

191 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2021 at 8:59 PM, sckao said:

There's also this weird tradition I've noticed that some people will replace any bag/board of any comic they buy with their own... so I while I hope everyone is recycling, I'm re-using used backing boards myself as filler/dividers/spacers for some boxes to help keep comics upright.

Yes, just recycle and reuse all of those old poly bags that comic shops used to put their books into way back in the day and you'll have no need to worry about ordering comic book supplies.  :devil:  lol

This is actually a pretty interesting question that comes up over and over:

Can old comic bags be recycled?

Some very old comic bags were created using polyethylene while more current bags are probably created with polypropylene. Both are probably NOT ACCEPTED by your local recycling service (waste management pickup). At least mine doesn't. Mine doesn't even allow loose plastic bags of any kind.

Mylar is not recyclable at all apparently.  ( TerraCycle may take them at a price?)

So the question then is what do we do with all these thousands of old bags after we re-bag and re-board a bunch of old comics?

Which Plastic Recycling Codes Can (or Cannot) Be Recycled? Here's Your Quick List. - Greenopedia

Find a Drop Off Location - Plastic Film Recycling

On 12/9/2021 at 10:36 AM, sckao said:

This is actually a pretty interesting question that comes up over and over:

Can old comic bags be recycled?

Some very old comic bags were created using polyethylene while more current bags are probably created with polypropylene. Both are probably NOT ACCEPTED by your local recycling service (waste management pickup). At least mine doesn't. Mine doesn't even allow loose plastic bags of any kind.

Mylar is not recyclable at all apparently.  ( TerraCycle may take them at a price?)

So the question then is what do we do with all these thousands of old bags after we re-bag and re-board a bunch of old comics?

Which Plastic Recycling Codes Can (or Cannot) Be Recycled? Here's Your Quick List. - Greenopedia

Find a Drop Off Location - Plastic Film Recycling

I would love it if I could find some place that would take the outer wells and inner wells from CGC/PGX/CBCS.  I'm currently buried in the stuff.

My next mixed thread, I will try to give it away again. The last time I tried, I had one taker that I sent seven outer wells to in a medium flat rate box.

About five years ago, I left about seven diamond boxes full of outer wells for Designer Toast at  TheShadowKnows store in Eugene, Oregon.  But I just keep accumulating more of them.

On 12/4/2021 at 12:38 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's all those people putting worthless books in mylar :baiting:

Jk 

But couldnt resist lol

Guilty as charged!! :banana:

On 12/10/2021 at 9:25 AM, lizards2 said:

I would love it if I could find some place that would take the outer wells and inner wells from CGC/PGX/CBCS.  I'm currently buried in the stuff.

My next mixed thread, I will try to give it away again. The last time I tried, I had one taker that I sent seven outer wells to in a medium flat rate box.

About five years ago, I left about seven diamond boxes full of outer wells for Designer Toast at  TheShadowKnows store in Eugene, Oregon.  But I just keep accumulating more of them.

Do you crack almost everything out L2? 

On 12/10/2021 at 5:05 AM, Arkham said:

Do you crack almost everything out L2? 

About 80-90% at this point in time. 

I've started to chicken out on some of my larger purchases - mostly related to getting older, and realizing I've got to find some way to extricate myself from this hobby before I die.

I also try to keep resale stuff intact, or if I'm not happy with the book. Nothing like getting a CGC 9.4 as an upgrade, and realizing you have a raw 9.0 that is a better copy. I only buy online, so don't always know what I'm getting until it is here for live inspection.

As far as the common stuff that fits in my collection, I crack all of that.

On 12/10/2021 at 5:20 AM, Arkham said:

I’ve never done it - but I’ve been eying a book for a run I’m collecting raw on eBay.. and I can’t find it anywhere else. Think I’m going to have to buy it and crack it. 😀

Slabbed books are great for obtaining issues that are impossible in HG.

Oftentimes, you can locate slabs and get them cheaper than raw.

There are some books, Thor #210 comes to mind, where I bought about 10 raw copies over the span of 20 years, hoping they were truly NM, and being disappointed every time. Of course, I purchased quite a few of those #210s before CGC copies were abundant.

Again, though, I live in a remote place, and haven't had or made the opportunity to shop in person since the mid-90's. I reached a point in collecting where going to comicbook stores was a waste of time, as they rarely had anything of interest. The last convention I attended was something like 1994 or so.

The conventions these days appear to be a disappointment waiting to happen, with high admission prices and few comicbook dealers. I was at the state wrestling championships in Portland about five years back, and there was a convention next door - I looked at it, and it appeared to me to be just a bunch of Walking Dead B.S. and cosplayers, for a high admission price - baah. I knew it would be a headache as well as a waste of time, so didn't bother.

On 12/10/2021 at 11:43 PM, lizards2 said:

Slabbed books are great for obtaining issues that are impossible in HG.

Oftentimes, you can locate slabs and get them cheaper than raw.

There are some books, Thor #210 comes to mind, where I bought about 10 raw copies over the span of 20 years, hoping they were truly NM, and being disappointed every time. Of course, I purchased quite a few of those #210s before CGC copies were abundant.

Again, though, I live in a remote place, and haven't had or made the opportunity to shop in person since the mid-90's. I reached a point in collecting where going to comicbook stores was a waste of time, as they rarely had anything of interest. The last convention I attended was something like 1994 or so.

The conventions these days appear to be a disappointment waiting to happen, with high admission prices and few comicbook dealers. I was at the state wrestling championships in Portland about five years back, and there was a convention next door - I looked at it, and it appeared to me to be just a bunch of Walking Dead B.S. and cosplayers, for a high admission price - baah. I knew it would be a headache as well as a waste of time, so didn't bother.

I relate. (I live in a regional part of Australia.. It’s more than 100km to the nearest brick & mortar store and it’s very rare for me to find slabs I collect shipping from Australia… so I’m 100% online purchases as well. I could drive down to the store - but between work and kids it just doesn’t seem manageable. We have one convention that comes to town, so we’re not spoiled for choice there, but it’s been kaput during the pandemic. I will go to the next one that I can though.. just to see books in the wild!)

Now that I'm strictly a raw dogg, I finally decided to investigate this E. Gerber you folks have been talking about since I joined this forum. Figured I'd go ahead and pick up 1000 M2s and FBs, but it seems I converted at the wrong time--no orders and this combo is actually selling (selling, not just listed) on eBay for $70 per 50.  Guess I'ma have to wait a bit.    

On 12/12/2021 at 6:33 PM, Poekaymon said:

Now that I'm strictly a raw dogg, I finally decided to investigate this E. Gerber you folks have been talking about since I joined this forum. Figured I'd go ahead and pick up 1000 M2s and FBs, but it seems I converted at the wrong time--no orders and this combo is actually selling (selling, not just listed) on eBay for $70 per 50.  Guess I'ma have to wait a bit.    

For anyone that might be interested and doesn't want to wait several months to get them, I just listed some E. Gerber Mylites2 (725M2) and Full-Back (FB700) combos for sale in the Mixed Age and Misc selling forum here.

These combos are now selling on Ebay for $99 (link to Ebay search).  I've listed them at a discount with U.S. Priority Shipping included (plus no sales tax).  Still not cheap, but they're available for immediate shipping.

Edit:  The E. Gerber bags and boards I mentioned above have all been spoken for.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 2/9/2022 at 8:43 PM, Domo Arigato said:

For anyone that might be interested and doesn't want to wait several months to get them, I just listed some E. Gerber Mylites2 (725M2) and Full-Back (FB700) combos for sale in the Mixed Age and Misc selling forum here.

These combos are now selling on Ebay for $99 (link to Ebay search).  I've listed them at a discount with U.S. Priority Shipping included (plus no sales tax).  Still not cheap, but they're available for immediate shipping.

Although some people may be offering the combos for $99, you can definitely get them separately for a combined $70-80 or so.

On 2/10/2022 at 2:43 PM, Poekaymon said:

Although some people may be offering the combos for $99, you can definitely get them separately for a combined $70-80 or so.

That's probably correct for some of the different sizes of bags/boards......but I'm not seeing that for the sizes I mentioned in my post.

Cheapest individual 50 pack of the 725M2 bags I can find is $29 with slow shipping plus tax (they only have 4 available).......next cheapest was $35 with slow shipping plus tax.

Cheapest individual 50 pack of the 700FB boards I can find is $60 with priority shipping plus tax.

That's a minimum of $89 shipped plus tax (which, at least in my state, would put the total closer to $100), plus having to deal with two sellers.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 2/10/2022 at 4:23 PM, Domo Arigato said:

That's probably correct for some of the different sizes of bags/boards......but I'm not seeing that for the sizes I mentioned in my post.

Cheapest individual 50 pack of the 725M2 bags I can find is $29 with slow shipping plus tax (they only have 4 available).......next cheapest was $35 with slow shipping plus tax.

Cheapest individual 50 pack of the 700FB boards I can find is $60 with priority shipping plus tax.

That's a minimum of $89 shipped plus tax (which, at least in my state, would put the total closer to $100), plus having to deal with two sellers.

Not sure why you keep talking about tax.  Do the $99 combos not have tax somehow?  I think we can take tax out of the equation.  

As of yesterday morning, there were 700FBs for $50 with free shipping.  Guess they just raised prices because now they are $59.25 with free shipping--we'll see if these prices hold.  But okay let's stick with that for now.    As of the time I type this, 6:46 EST, there are multiple packs of 725M2s for $24.99 with free shipping.  And cheaper in bulk.  But let's stick with 50.  So that's $84.24 shipped, right this second.  (Which is still absolutely outrageous.) 

My point point was that claiming it costs $99, when yesterday you could get that exact combo for $75, and right this second you can get it for $84, is false.  Continues to be the case.

Anyway, I'd prefer everyone just wait for Gerber and not encourage scalpers.  Already have this problem with PS5s and video cards.

On 2/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, Poekaymon said:

Not sure why you keep talking about tax.  Do the $99 combos not have tax somehow?  I think we can take tax out of the equation.  

As of yesterday morning, there were 700FBs for $50 with free shipping.  Guess they just raised prices because now they are $59.25 with free shipping--we'll see if these prices hold.  But okay let's stick with that for now.    As of the time I type this, 6:46 EST, there are multiple packs of 725M2s for $24.99 with free shipping.  And cheaper in bulk.  But let's stick with 50.  So that's $84.24 shipped, right this second.  (Which is still absolutely outrageous.) 

My point point was that claiming it costs $99, when yesterday you could get that exact combo for $75, and right this second you can get it for $84, is false.  Continues to be the case.

Anyway, I'd prefer everyone just wait for Gerber and not encourage scalpers.  Already have this problem with PS5s and video cards.

You can't take tax out of the equation, and I keep talking about it because you have to pay tax when you buy things on Ebay.  The $99 combos have tax.  The non combos have tax.  They all have tax.  My post was simply offering a cheaper option with no sales tax.  So, I'm not sure what point you're actually trying to make, other than you just don't like the current market prices for them.

I just did a search for 725M2's and see one listing selling them for $24.99.  It's the same listing I mentioned in my last post that was charging $4 for shipping (which.....if you check the revisions on the listing.....they have now changed to free economy shipping).  But they only have 4 packages available.  So....as you said.....with the boards that's $84.24 shipped......PLUS tax.  You aren't going to pay the $84.24 and have those bags/boards show up at your doorstep.  There's going to be tax added on the top of that that will push it over the $90 mark (which would still make the $99 combo price I quoted more accurate than your $70-$80 figure).  And that's limited to only the 4 they have available.  All of the other sellers are charging more than that for the bags.

My point is the combo packs (yesterday and today) were and are selling for $99.  That was and still is absolutely correct and you can try to spin that however you like.  And the fact is.....even if you bought the items individually from two different sellers, you aren't going to get them in your hands for the "$70-$80" that you mentioned 3 hours ago (not yesterday).  That is false.  So, if you're going to be disingenuous and accusatory, you might want to think about getting your own facts straight.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 2/9/2022 at 8:43 PM, Domo Arigato said:

These combos are now selling on Ebay for $99 (link to Ebay search).  

You seem pretty upset.  This is all I was referring to right here--your comment that they are $99 on eBay.  This is factually incorrect.  Yesterday they were $75, and today they are $84.24.  You have agreed to this already, so my work is done.

Have a great night, and best of luck with your sales.