• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC really give priority by tiers? Doesn't look that way to me.
2 2

235 posts in this topic

Just now, sfcityduck said:

It shows we have a difference of opinion.  But, I asking for where CGC states that Economy costs more because it is harder to grade Economy books.  Personally, I think the attention to detail required to grade minute differences to high end books takes a lot of time and effort.  I am curious to know CGC's view, as opposed to the opinion of the self-appointed defenders of CGC.  Put more bluntly, on this point I'd like evidence of what CGC's position is, not just opinion.  

I mean, the average time that it takes to grade Silver Age and earlier is not a matter of opinion. "Harder" is the wrong term. Time is money, and if on average more time is taken to examine a comic book printed prior to 1975, then what conclusion can we come to?

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Again, you had it right the first time, before your self-sefving edit, the pricing is higher on Economy so they are not equal.  And, again the question you dodge:  When did Modern move to a $400 value cap?  It used to be a lower cap than Economy.  More evidence they have not been and are not equal.

Again, you're incorrect. Ask someone who has screenshots of earlier submission pages. (thumbsu

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

I mean, the average time that it takes to grade Silver Age and earlier is not a matter of opinion. "Harder" is the wrong term. Time is money, and if on average more time is taken to examine a comic book printed prior to 1975, then what conclusion can we come to?

That's your opinion (and not everyone agrees an X-Men 93 is harder to grade than an X-Men 95; or that foil covers or 3D or holographic covers, and other factors, such as the quest for 9.8, make modern a quicker grade).  Is it CGC's stated rationale for why they charge more for Economy and that the TAT are longer despite the representation that higher tiers will have priority?  I have not read that.  If you have, a link to the CGC statement would be appreciated.

That's your opinion (and not everyone agrees an X-Men 93 is harder to grade than an X-Men 95; or that foil covers or 3D or holographic covers, and other factors, such as the quest for 9.8, make modern a quicker grade).  Is it CGC's stated rationale for why they charge more for Economy and that the TAT are longer despite the representation that higher tiers will have priority?  I have not read that.  If you have, a link to the CGC statement would be appreciated.

It's not an opinion. Factually, on average, it takes more time and attention to detail when grading Silver Age and earlier when compared to Modern.

Economy is not a higher tier. It is valued the same as Modern. Your accounting appears to be missing this fact.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Again, you're incorrect. Ask someone who has screenshots of earlier submission pages. (thumbsu

Assertions are not evidenced argument.  I believe the change was made in April 2021.  So the Modern books which are getting churned out faster than the Economy books still waiting to be graded were submitted when Modern Tier had a $200 value cap.  That sound you hear is your rationalization blowing up.

Assertions are not evidenced argument.  I believe the change was made in April 2021.  So the Modern books which are getting churned out faster than the Economy books still waiting to be graded were submitted when Modern Tier had a $200 value cap.  That sound you hear is your rationalization blowing up.

Belief is not evidenced argument. That sound you hear is the rise and fall of hypocrisy. (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's not an opinion. Factually, on average, it takes more time and attention to detail when grading Silver Age and earlier when compared to Modern.

Economy is not a higher tier. It is valued the same as Modern. Your accounting appears to be missing this fact.

Economy does and always has COST more than Modern.  Also, until April 2021, it had a HIGHER value cap and the books languishing at CGC getting passed by Moder tier books were submitted under that higher value cap.  

Your rationalization does not hold water.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Belief is not evidenced argument. That sound you hear is the rise and fall of hypocrisy. (thumbsu

Here are links which evidence my belief (can you do the same?):

Read to see April 2021 changes:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/9057/cgc-fee-updates/

Start at 5:12 for confirmation that until the April 2021 change Value Cap of modern was $200:

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

Economy does and always has COST more than Modern.  Also, until April 2021, it had a HIGHER value cap and the books languishing at CGC getting passed by Moder tier books were submitted under that higher value cap.  

Your rationalization does not hold water.

Contradiction is a funny thing.

Here are links which evidence my belief (can you do the same?):

Read to see April 2021 changes:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/9057/cgc-fee-updates/

Start at 5:12 for confirmation that until the April 2021 change Value Cap of modern was $200:

It's never too late to change. Like understanding how/why 2 separate ages would have separate costs despite having the same value.

Contradiction is a funny thing.

Got it.  You got no evidence you can link to support your factual assertions and the only way you can dodge out of your original analysis, which was correct - hence the self serving edit to delete it - is by sloganeering instead of reasoning.  I link my evidence and my arguments.  And, most importantly, you have NOT providing a single link to evidence that CGC agrees with or has stated that any of the "reasons" you offer for why the higher pricing for Economy and slower TATs makes any sense whatsoever.  

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Got it.  You got no evidence you can link to support your factual assertions and the only way you can dodge out of your original analysis, which was correct - hence the self serving edit to delete it - is by sloganeering instead of reasoning.  I link my evidence and my arguments.  And, most importantly, you have NOT providing a single link to evidence that CGC agrees with or has stated that any of the "reasons" you offer for why the higher pricing for Economy and slower TATs makes any sense whatsoever.  

The evidence is literally on CGC's website, which has been linked to you. For whatever reason, you're clinging to the past rather than understanding the present. (shrug)

Your OP has been answered: Economy and Modern are the same value tiers. That is why there is no priority given to the more expensive option.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's never too late to change. Like understanding how/why 2 separate ages would have separate costs despite having the same value.

And you're evidence that CGC made the change based on that understanding is what?  You got nothing.

You are also ignoring that whether "higher tier" is determined by higher pricing or higher value caps, in either case the Economy books submitted prior to the change in value cap for Modern are taking longer to grade than Modern.  Under either ratinale, that is messed up.  In short, you protest too much.

And you're evidence that CGC made the change based on that understanding is what?  You got nothing.

You are also ignoring that whether "higher tier" is determined by higher pricing or higher value caps, in either case the Economy books submitted prior to the change in value cap for Modern are taking longer to grade than Modern.  Under either ratinale, that is messed up.  In short, you protest too much.

I never said why CGC made a change. Don't move the goalposts. I answered the question of your OP. Moving on...

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

The evidence is literally on CGC's website, which has been linked to you. For whatever reason, you're clinging to the past rather than understanding the present. (shrug)

Your OP has been answered: Economy and Modern are the same value tier. That is why there is no priority given to the more expensive options.

The only info you link does not evidence your assertions.  There is no link evidencing that CGC thinks grading Economy is more difficult and therefore takes longer to grade than Modern.  There is only evidence, which was in my first post on this thread, that CGC is taking longer to grade Economy than Modern (which could be due to a myriad of factors other than difficulty - such as improper prioritization by the graders).

There is no evidence that Economy and Modern are the same tier.  The evidence shows that Economy has ALWAYS been priced higher than Modern.  And the evidence shows that until April 21, 2021 or thereabouts the Value Cap on Economy was twice that of Modern (which means that any Economy books languishing at CGC as Moderns submitted before that date whoosh by to grading would be, UNDER YOUR RATIONALIZATION, getting passed up for lower tiered books).

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I never said why CGC made a change. Don't move the goalposts. I answered the question of your OP. Moving on...

You responded to a post wherein I was asking for evidence of what CGC believed about the priority of the tiers and difficulty of grading.  The goal posts have been firmly planted. As I said in response to your first disruptive post above, you lost of thread of the conversation.

The only info you link does not evidence your assertions.  There is no link evidencing that CGC thinks grading Economy is more difficult and therefore takes longer to grade than Modern.  There is only evidence, which was in my first post on this thread, that CGC is taking longer to grade Economy than Modern (which could be due to a myriad of factors other than difficulty - such as improper prioritization by the graders).

There is no evidence that Economy and Modern are the same tier.  The evidence shows that Economy has ALWAYS been priced higher than Modern.  And the evidence shows that until April 21, 2021 or thereabouts the Value Cap on Economy was twice that of Modern (which means that any Economy books languishing at CGC as Moderns submitted before that date whoosh by to grading would be, UNDER YOUR RATIONALIZATION, getting passed up for lower tiered books).

I never said that's why CGC does what they do. lol

The evidence that Economy and Modern are the same value tier, however, is factually supported by CGC's own website. I will ignore any further circular arguments, if you feel that you need the last word. (thumbsu

You responded to a post wherein I was asking for evidence of what CGC believed about the priority of the tiers and difficulty of grading.  The goal posts have been firmly planted. As I said in response to your first disruptive post above, you lost of thread of the conversation.

There is no thread of conversation other than you persisting to argue for nothing other than argument's sake. The original question has been answered. There is no value difference, and therefor there is no priority to either tier.

The evidence that Economy and Modern are the same value tier, however, is factually supported by CGC's own website. I will ignore any further circular arguments, if you feel that you need the last word. (thumbsu

The value cap on Modern was upped to $400 in April.  The price for Economy is 50% less than Economy.  They are not the same tier now and they were not the same tier prior to the April 2021 change.  Yet, Economy books are being graded up to 41% slower than Modern books, even if submitted prior to April.  That is messed up given CGC's statement that higher tiers will have priority.  What other conclusion can be drawn?