• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miller Daredevils outside the Daredevil series
1 1

56 posts in this topic

On 7/13/2021 at 10:52 AM, HighVoltage said:

Pretty sure all he did was draw a water tower in this issue.

That was an unusual running joke, in that Miller guest-drew water towers in several books that month.

I didn't know he drew water towers in several books. What books did he draw them in? Cap 235 he is credited as "water tower consultant" on the first page. 

57 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

I didn't know he drew water towers in several books. What books did he draw them in? Cap 235 he is credited as "water tower consultant" on the first page. 

Me neither. That's hilarious. Who comes up with that?! 

On 7/13/2021 at 7:51 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Slightly off topic, but he added new framing sequences to the Elektra Saga, which reprints Elektra’s appearances in Miller’s DD run.

I remember reading that for the first time and being absolutely thrilled that there was new Miller art in it!

2 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

I’m pretty sure I read this in an interview with Miller quite awhile ago. I think he was in the Marvel offices & was joking around with the editors of several titles & they came up with that idea, since Miller was helping with some inking on various stuff to help out on deadlines.

6 hours ago, Shrevvy said:
On 7/13/2021 at 10:52 AM, HighVoltage said:

Pretty sure all he did was draw a water tower in this issue.

That was an unusual running joke, in that Miller guest-drew water towers in several books that month.

5 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Me neither. That's hilarious. Who comes up with that?! 

Miller had a deep fascination with Hell's Kitchen in NYC.

That's why his story arcs with his run in DD / Elektra were set there.

Miller's DD was my 1st introduction to NYC's gritty feel as a 12 year old kid (Angel Dust, water towers and gritty streets) and when I arrived in NYC for the 1st time, it was the water towers that fascinated me most and sent me back to my teenage years where I first remembered seeing them in his art.

He could often be found hanging out in mid town NYC bars. He loved the area.

I think he drew those watertowers in other books as one of his 'motifs' which was rooted in his love for NYC

Edited by VintageComics

Like the Special Edition that reprinted PPSM 27 & 28, there was another collection, from 1988 (in the Prestige format) that collected the DD/Punisher "Child's Play" from DD 183 & 184 with a new Miller cover.

Here's a picture from Ebay. I wonder how this story came to be credited to "Anthony F. Janson and Toby Miller" in the Ebay catalog.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1280046

That same story was intended to be published much earlier in the DD title, but was apparently rejected by the Code.

Here's a look at the unpublished Miller art:

http://marvel1980s.blogspot.com/2013/06/1980-unpublished-daredevil-cover.html

On 7/16/2021 at 6:19 AM, ft88 said:

I think there are some posters as well from the 80s to 90s

Absolutely. I still have a DD by Miller, one of the first Marvel Press Posters (as they were called) hanging on a wall in my comic room. I think it was issued in 1984 or so, and I bought it way back then. It was a new Miller/Janson image, and spectacular. I'll get a shot of it as soon as I can. 

Amazing Heroes #69 had this nifty Miller Elektra/Batman cover:

IMG_20201118_0015.jpg

Edited by jdandns
added pictures

6 minutes ago, jdandns said:

I think these pictures were taken something less than 10 years apart.

Life is hard.

millerold.jpg

millermid.jpg

Good luck to him. Always have his work on the bookshelf to read/admire. Thanks for that, Mr. Miller.

He seemed very frail at one point a few years ago but has reportedly and seemingly improved. I agree, good luck to him. So much love for the medium in him and then because of him.