• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Predicament involving GA purchase and cautionary tale about "shaken comic syndrome"
3 3

73 posts in this topic

Hello all.  I'm coming to the Boards with a predicament involving purchase of a GA book.  I'm hoping the fine folks here might offer insight, advice or direct help.  Feel free to reach out to me privately.

On May 13th, I purchased Marvel Mystery 82 CGC 3.5 from Worldwide Comics' website.  My only hesitation was (not being a GA or MMC expert) it appeared to be cut narrower than other copies (past sales) I saw online.  Nevertheless I was stoked to find it as I have always coveted this book.

This was just a few weeks before a "rumor" was widely circulated about what characters may or may not be slated for future MCU development.  I hope this wasn't and won't become relevant in how the story unfolds and ultimately concludes. 

The book arrived some days later, with damage.  Specifically, some shock to the package had caused the "body" of the book to shift away from the cover and its only staple.  It appeared the cover had become detached.  Sharon at WWC agreed it looked damaged when I sent pictures.

I returned it via Fedex a week or so later, my thoughts being, "they will want to see it", "they may want to make an insurance claim", but it occurred to me very soon thereafter it might be difficult to locate another copy.  I let them know I'd be interested in having the book back once they had had a chance to inspect it.

Quite some time passed, during which I sent follow-up emails both reiterating my interest in the book, and inquiring about how they would be sending a potential refund, which may have sent mixed messages.

Next thing, I hear from Sharon that she had put the refund check in the mail.  I said I would be sending the check back, and she said she "didn't know what Stephen planned to do with the book" and would let him know I wanted to keep it.  From Sharon's email, it seemed the book had been cracked out and perhaps the cover was still hanging on.  I returned the refund check to them.

This was on June 12th, and I have not heard from them since, despite a couple of follow-ups.  I of course have their email addresses, and have tried the phone number published on their website.  If anyone has personal knowledge of the situation over at WWC that might be useful please drop me a line, it would be much appreciated.

Edited by Heronext

22 minutes ago, Heronext said:

Hello all.  I'm coming to the Boards with a predicament involving purchase of a GA book.  I'm hoping the fine folks here might offer insight, advice or direct help.  Feel free to reach out to me privately.

On May 13th, I purchased Marvel Mystery 82 CGC 3.5 from Worldwide Comics' website.  My only hesitation was (not being a GA or MMC expert) it appeared to be cut narrower than other copies I saw online.  Nevertheless I was stoked to find it as I have always coveted this book.

This was just a few weeks before a "rumor" was widely circulated about what characters may or may not be slated for future MCU development.  I hope this wasn't and won't become relevant in how the story unfolds and ultimately concludes. 

The book arrived some days later, with damage.  Specifically, some shock to the package had cause the "body" of the book to shift away from the cover and its one staple.  It appeared the cover had become detached.  Sharon at WWC agreed it looked damaged when I sent pictures.

I returned it via Fedex a week or so later, my thoughts being, "they will want to see it", "they may want to make an insurance claim", but it occurred to me very soon thereafter it might be difficult to locate another copy.  I let them know I'd be interested in having the book back once they had had a chance to inspect it.

Quite some time passed, during which I sent follow-up emails both reiterating my interest in the book, and inquiring about how they would be sending a potential refund, which may have sent mixed messages.

Next thing, I hear from Sharon that she had put the refund check in the mail.  I said I would be sending the check back, and she said she "didn't know what Stephen planned to do with the book" and would let him know I wanted to keep it.  From Sharon's email, it seemed the book had been cracked out and perhaps the cover was still hanging on.  I returned the refund check to them.

This was on June 12th, and I have not heard a word from them since despite a couple of follow-ups.  I of course have their email addresses, and have tried the phone number published on their website.  If anyone has personal knowledge of the situation over at WWC that might be useful please drop me a line, it would be much appreciated.

You want to keep it and get a refund?

Also, if something arrives damaged, take pictures.

8 minutes ago, vheflin said:

You want to keep it and get a refund?

Also, if something arrives damaged, take pictures.

If the book is not damaged, I'd like it back at the price I have bought it for.  If it is damaged (i.e. lower grade), then I'd like to discuss a possible partial refund with them.  I hope that clarifies things.

The book was definitely shaken, and moved within the case.  The cover either became detached, partially detached, or may just have moved according to the "play" allowed by a loose staple.

I did take pictures.  I mention above that I sent them to WWC.

Edited by Heronext

7 minutes ago, Heronext said:

If the book is not damaged, I'd like it back at the price I have bought it for.  If it is damaged (i.e. lower grade), then I'd like to discuss a possible partial refund with them.  I hope that clarifies things.

The book was definitely shaken, and moved within the case.  The cover either became detached, partially detached, or may just have moved according to the "play" allowed by a loose staple.

I did take pictures.  I mention above that I sent them to WWC.

Posting those pics would be helpful.

49 minutes ago, buttock said:

Steve is top notch with customer service.  You should call him.  

I appreciate the input.  I've had nothing but good experiences with Worldwide through 80 or so transactions over the years.

I have copied Steve on a couple of the emails but Sharon has been the one handling this.  I do not have a number for Steve, just emails and the number posted on their website, through which I've been unable to reach anyone.

21 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Just a personal policy, but I refuse to issue partial refunds to people after an unpleasant transaction I had on the boards.  In my mind, you either keep the book as it came, or ship it back for a full refund.  I have no interest in debating the theoretical reduction in value because of shipping damage or disagreement on grade.

Regardless, the poor communication is a bad look.

Appreciate the input.  I can see how one might have that policy.  If they were to explain to me they have a similar policy, that would be fine.  I would then take it from there.

44 minutes ago, Falcon760 said:

Dunno what your deal is.  You complained and they gave your money back.  But you didn't keep the money.  I don't get it.  It was damaged.  Get your money back.  

Thanks for sharing your take.  I'm not sure where I said, or you assumed, that I had complained to anyone.

The situation is a bit more nuanced than your description, but I'm not sure anything I could add would illuminate beyond what I already posted.

"Get your money back" - in the end that may be what I need to settle for, but part of the problem is I have been unable to contact the sellers in over a month.  And, that is the primary point of my post - i.e. the question to you all, is there anyone who can help me do that.

2 hours ago, Trifisherjoe said:

Sorry, too much drama...should have cashed check and looked for a better copy.

Maybe so.  It's the first time I've received a book damaged inside the case.  I've also never cracked a book out before.  If this happens again, I'll benefit from prior experience.

"Looked" doesn't always lead to "found".  I searched a fair amount (about 30 websites).  I calculate that, nobody would have come forth in response to a WTB thread, and maybe I would see one up for auction in 6 months to a year.

If anyone has tips on where one is that might be for sale, or places I could look, feel free to reach out.  My sense is prices may have moved since May, if indeed there was ever a consensus "value" for that book at that time, or now.

Here is another take: if I paid for the book back in May, and I returned the refund check uncashed as per agreement with the seller, is the book mine?

Edited by Heronext

3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Just a personal policy, but I refuse to issue partial refunds to people after an unpleasant transaction I had on the boards.  In my mind, you either keep the book as it came, or ship it back for a full refund.  I have no interest in debating the theoretical reduction in value because of shipping damage or disagreement on grade.

Regardless, the poor communication is a bad look.

Just to add to my previous response to this, I respect your policy.  For me, 100% customer satisfaction is my main goal.  If I can give a partial refund to achieve that, and it makes financial sense for me, I will do that.

Also, this is a rather unique scenario, where the book was damaged but not the case.  Usually damage is to a case, which a $20 transfer for a reholder would solve 

Edited by Heronext

The book as I received it.  Last I heard, they thought it was still a 3.5, and that it would be discussed with Steve.  I assume this means it was removed from the case, and it was confirmed that the cover had not become detached, as it appeared to me.

IMG_20210518_153908.jpg

IMG_20210518_154142.jpg

IMG_20210518_154155.jpg

Edited by Heronext

Had to tell but the defects you show appear to be present in the scan that is on their website.  The listing shows sale pending which is what WW does when a book is bought.  Ritter seems to leave them up for a while.  Here is the scan WW had posted.

I am also of the belief if you are not happy, take the full refund and find a book that will make you happy.

It is a cool book.

MvlMy_82_35.thumb.jpg.df35d3d2245ed03ed2b90bd3b27f9690.jpg

41 minutes ago, telerites said:

Had to tell but the defects you show appear to be present in the scan that is on their website.  The listing shows sale pending which is what WW does when a book is bought.  Ritter seems to leave them up for a while.  Here is the scan WW had posted.

I am also of the belief if you are not happy, take the full refund and find a book that will make you happy.

It is a cool book.

MvlMy_82_35.thumb.jpg.df35d3d2245ed03ed2b90bd3b27f9690.jpg

Thanks for the input.  I'm aware the sold listing is still viewable on their site, and the pic you grabbed from there is the same scan I already posted above.  I had also grabbed it from there.  Comparing the staple area in the before and after pics, there is a hole where before there was white paper.  Also, you can see the top right edge shows more visible interior paper, and it is closer to the inside edge of the case.  I saw the book in hand, and it moved inside the case during shipping.  It looked like the cover had become detached.  WWC agreed.

The book makes me happy.  It was just damaged in the mail, and I figured they would want to investigate that in person.

Edited by Heronext

6 hours ago, Heronext said:

On May 13th, I purchased Marvel Mystery 82 CGC 3.5 from Worldwide Comics' website.  My only hesitation was (not being a GA or MMC expert) it appeared to be cut narrower than other copies (past sales) I saw online.  Nevertheless I was stoked to find it as I have always coveted this book.

The book arrived some days later, with damage.  Specifically, some shock to the package had caused the "body" of the book to shift away from the cover and its only staple.  It appeared the cover had become detached.

You blew it.  When you find anything near your own grail desirability, grab it, and "don't sweat the small stuff". You could have taken a scan or two, sent it to them, and asked for a partial refund.  That's what I do when a book is received not quite as described, but it's too late for Monday Morning Quarterbacking now.

Secondly, I can't see how a book could shift inside a CGC holder, and this is from someone who has bought many slabbed books, only to "jailbreak" every single one of them.  FYI, in case you weren't aware, once opening the hard plastic case, the comic book is enclosed in a tight plastic sleeve, sealed on all sides.  There's simply no way a book could shift even a millimeter.

My suggestion at this point would be to call them, and arrange for either the return of the book, or return of the check they sent you, because now they have both and you have neither.