• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

354 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2021 at 8:38 PM, tth2 said:

I just hope they don't use CC's website developer.

The website they currently use had a lot of issues during the boom, but has been getting better. I think it'd be fine for comics.

I'm looking at this from a slightly different angle than has been discussed thus far.  They're promising a lot, including catalog development and promotional advertising.  If they have that level of reach the competition could prove interesting over time especially if they're offering perks behind the scenes to build competitive auctions of big ticket books.  But they'll have to prove they can swim with the big boys first... 

:jaws:

If they can do that, they might be able to take a chunk of the market if their hammer prices prove competitive.  I doubt that the other majors (HA/CC/CL) are that concerned at present or will worry unless Goldin's footprint gets big quickly via pulling down top auction sales numbers and a lot will depend on whether their terms are more favorable than those offered by others.  

The chum's in the water, let the games begin!

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 7/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

I'm looking at this from a slightly different angle than has been discussed thus far.  They're promising a lot, including catalog development and promotional advertising.  If they have that level of reach the competition could prove interesting over time especially if they're offering perks behind the scenes to build competitive auctions of big ticket books.  But they'll have to prove they can swim with the big boys first... 

If they can do that, they might be able to take a chunk of the market if their hammer prices prove competitive.  I doubt that the other majors (HA/CC/CL) are that concerned at present or will worry unless Goldin's footprint gets big quickly via pulling down top auction sales numbers and a lot will depend on whether their terms are more favorable than those offered by others.  

Batman 1966 GIF

On 7/22/2021 at 8:34 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Goldin's videos are already better than Zurzulo's

With HA flopping their giant hog all over the place with the Promise collection it might be an opportunity for another entity to get into the biz.  Some consigners will be looking for alternatives to not have to compete with the Promise books, and some people will be looking for a place to liquidate books to pay for Promise buys.  That being said, it seems like the Promise collection has just made HA even stronger as you look at what CC is offering and "meh" seems generous.  

On 7/23/2021 at 10:35 AM, tth2 said:

I don't think that's the right mindset in the current market.  You want to show your wares where they'll be seen by the most people, and that's an auction with lots of Promise books. 

Maybe in the old days you'd be worried about books in the same auction cannibalizing each other because there's only a finite amount of money available for each auction, but that's not a concern when there are infinite funds. 

100% agreed. Conventional wisdom with any auction as a consignor is to ride the wave of excitement whale type pieces bring to a particular auction...whether it's your own or some other consigner. The excitement that is generated with whale type consignments will usually garner much more attention and realize greater prices for all quality items in the same auction. 

On 7/23/2021 at 8:35 AM, tth2 said:

I don't think that's the right mindset in the current market.  You want to show your wares where they'll be seen by the most people, and that's an auction with lots of Promise books. 

Maybe in the old days you'd be worried about books in the same auction cannibalizing each other because there's only a finite amount of money available for each auction, but that's not a concern when there are infinite funds. 

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking out loud, but I qualified by pointing out that some other auction houses are suffering.  I think if anything people will send more to HA to sell to pay for promise books to skirt taxes.