• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scheduled for grading...TWO MONTHS NOW!
4 4

92 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2022 at 11:17 AM, lostboys said:

Grading isnt all that tight. I just returned a 9.8 to a seller on ebay ...book had an obvious color break on the spine. The book was graded in Dec.

I had a eBay buyer do that to me once, ebay is the only site where a buyer can pull off that BS move. Basically blaming the seller cause you didn't like the way CGC graded it. I always block eBay buyers who pull stunts like that and share their ebay handle with other sellers of graded books I know.   

On 1/6/2022 at 8:43 PM, Kevin76 said:

I had a eBay buyer do that to me once, ebay is the only site where a buyer can pull off that BS move. Basically blaming the seller cause you didn't like the way CGC graded it. I always block eBay buyers who pull stunts like that and share their ebay handle with other sellers of graded books I know.   

This is why I search out sellers who offer free returns. I'm a seller myself and I offer free returns. It's just good business. 

Edited by lostboys

On 1/6/2022 at 11:17 AM, lostboys said:

Grading isnt all that tight. I just returned a 9.8 to a seller on ebay ...book had an obvious color break on the spine. The book was graded in Dec.

A single color break on the spine isn't enough to keep a book from 9.8. Minor color breaking tics are allowed on 9.8s. Beyond that, Grading is subjective. If you have 5 experienced graders go over a random book you'll likely see a standard deviation of 3-4 grade points between them. Some CGC graders are super strict, have never given out a 10, and expect a 9.8 to be absolutely perfect. Other graders will give a 10 on occasion to perfect books, and will allow small creases, indents, bindery tears, or color breaking tics on a 9.8. All depends on the grader, and oftentimes their mood that day. Stuck in traffic this morning? 9.6. GF said we should see other people? 9.2. Dog died last night? 8.5. Stuck in traffic after GF broke up with me and murdered my dog? 7.5s all day.

Ah yes, back to the topic. I've had 1 modern tier batch received 8/27/21, scheduled for grading since 10/4/21. So almost 4 months stuck in "scheduled". I sent in a SS batch the exact same time, which I received in the mail almost 2 weeks ago, so I was happy about that. Will update when I get back the moderns.

On 1/28/2022 at 2:14 PM, Complex306 said:

A single color break on the spine isn't enough to keep a book from 9.8. Minor color breaking tics are allowed on 9.8s. Beyond that, Grading is subjective. If you have 5 experienced graders go over a random book you'll likely see a standard deviation of 3-4 grade points between them. Some CGC graders are super strict, have never given out a 10, and expect a 9.8 to be absolutely perfect. Other graders will give a 10 on occasion to perfect books, and will allow small creases, indents, bindery tears, or color breaking tics on a 9.8. All depends on the grader, and oftentimes their mood that day. Stuck in traffic this morning? 9.6. GF said we should see other people? 9.2. Dog died last night? 8.5. Stuck in traffic after GF broke up with me and murdered my dog? 7.5s all day.

I get it. I disagree but who cares, right? lol

Its just that Im relatively new to this game and most of what Ive learned in the past 2 years has been from these boards.

The "spare a grade?" board, I guess, has me trained to see a defect and downgrade the book to 9.6, at least.

That seems to be commonplace there and those guys seem to really know what theyre talking about.

On 1/28/2022 at 2:29 PM, lostboys said:

I get it. I disagree but who cares, right? lol

Its just that Im relatively new to this game and most of what Ive learned in the past 2 years has been from these boards.

The "spare a grade?" board, I guess, has me trained to see a defect and downgrade the book to 9.6, at least.

That seems to be commonplace there and those guys seem to really know what theyre talking about.

I get what you're saying, it just depends on the defect and its severity, and again the individual grader. CGC says that defects are allowable on a 9.8 but have to be negligible, which is a fairly nebulous criterion. The following are typically allowed on CGC 9.8s. This list was compiled by Bry's Comics after exhaustively researching the subject and examining hundreds of slabbed 9.8s. It's what I go by when deciding which books to submit.

• Spine Ticks ⅛” or less 
  • Bindery Tears at the top and bottom that are 1/16” or less
  • Spine Rub that goes the length of the spine from shipping and rubbing on the cardboard box
  • Miswraps of 1/16” or less (sometimes more but definitely will pass if 1/16” or less).
  • Color Rub measuring a total area of 1” or less.
  • Slight waviness to the book.

Overstreet has similar criteria for a 9.8. I personally have many 9.8s in my collection with multiple color breaking spine tics, the worst of which is a Venom 7 signed by Clayton Crain which has no less than 7 (appropriately enough) color breaking spine tics of 1/8ths length. I also have 9.6s that I defy anyone to find a single defect on. In general, minor defects are fine on a 9.8. That's what I've seen in my time collecting slabs & submitting raws at least.

Appreciate the respectful tone btw, I'm not trying to say "you're wrong", just adding my perspective, and too many times on these boards people become rude/ combative, so I just wanted to specifically say thank you for not doing that lol. And you're right, the "spare a grade" guys are pretty accurate, but they tend to be a bit conservative in their estimates as well. Again, just my 2 cents, which are typically significantly less valuable than 2 actual cents.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:03 PM, Complex306 said:

I get what you're saying, it just depends on the defect and its severity, and again the individual grader. CGC says that defects are allowable on a 9.8 but have to be negligible, which is a fairly nebulous criterion. The following are typically allowed on CGC 9.8s. This list was compiled by Bry's Comics after exhaustively researching the subject and examining hundreds of slabbed 9.8s. It's what I go by when deciding which books to submit.

• Spine Ticks ⅛” or less 
  • Bindery Tears at the top and bottom that are 1/16” or less
  • Spine Rub that goes the length of the spine from shipping and rubbing on the cardboard box
  • Miswraps of 1/16” or less (sometimes more but definitely will pass if 1/16” or less).
  • Color Rub measuring a total area of 1” or less.
  • Slight waviness to the book.

Overstreet has similar criteria for a 9.8. I personally have many 9.8s in my collection with multiple color breaking spine tics, the worst of which is a Venom 7 signed by Clayton Crain which has no less than 7 (appropriately enough) color breaking spine tics of 1/8ths length. I also have 9.6s that I defy anyone to find a single defect on. In general, minor defects are fine on a 9.8. That's what I've seen in my time collecting slabs & submitting raws at least.

Appreciate the respectful tone btw, I'm not trying to say "you're wrong", just adding my perspective, and too many times on these boards people become rude/ combative, so I just wanted to specifically say thank you for not doing that lol. And you're right, the "spare a grade" guys are pretty accurate, but they tend to be a bit conservative in their estimates as well. Again, just my 2 cents, which are typically significantly less valuable than 2 actual cents.

I hear you and yes, Ive run into many people here who little to zero patience for this type of discussion. I just chalk it up to them being old and cranky.

lol 

With older books, I can understand having a few defects on a 9.8. Im not sure if CGC grades on a curve based on age but that would make sense to me.

When I see a modern book thats been graded a 9.8 but has obvious issues, it makes my stomach hurt. lol

Im doing well in my quest to have all 9.8s with perfect front covers. Ive had to return a few along the way and I know that upsets some folks here but its my collection after all...its my hard earned money im spending.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:29 PM, lostboys said:

This is why I search out sellers who offer free returns. I'm a seller myself and I offer free returns. It's just good business. 

I used to but no longer. Now I offer NO RETURNS! At least on most of my auctions, some I forget to switch over if I am using the template. It doesn't seem bad for business, and I have excellent feedback so I do not expect the issue to come from my end. If it does, I fix it without ebay needing to get involved. So NO RETURNS is my model in the era of reckless buying and blatant buyers remorse

On 1/28/2022 at 3:40 PM, Bird said:

I used to but no longer. Now I offer NO RETURNS! At least on most of my auctions, some I forget to switch over if I am using the template. It doesn't seem bad for business, and I have excellent feedback so I do not expect the issue to come from my end. If it does, I fix it without ebay needing to get involved. So NO RETURNS is my model in the era of reckless buying and blatant buyers remorse

I hear you. But buyers remorse and reckless spending is more like:

"Damn, I wish I hadn't spent money on this thing."

I've never returned a 9.8 because I wanted the dough back. Only because I see something in hand that I couldn't see in the pics.

If I buy a hockey jersey, get it home, put it on and then notice the logo is crooked...im going to wanna exchange it. 

All cgc 9.8s are not the same and 9.8s are not perfect. So sellers should  take honest pics and show the flaws for those of us looking to "buy the book, not the grade". That's all I ask of sellers. 

When we sell on Ebay, we have the advantage. A potential buyer can't hold the item in their hand. Much different than a yard sale.  A "all sales are final" policy makes much more sense at a yard sale or pawn shop. I take many, many GREAT pics when I sell a book.

I don't know of any online retailer that does not offer free returns. I follow that proven model.

And they don't even need to be free returns. I buy from sellers that charge for returns. I've paid for returns. Hell, I've paid restocking fees without complaining. It's never about the money, with me anyway.

The whole reason we have comics graded independently and professionally is to avoid "opinion differences" between buyer and seller.  Previously on raw comics, seller offers (in person or online) what he believes is 9.8, buyer thinks 9.4.  No sale is made, opinions conflict. 

Grading companies come in to solve the biased opinion problem.  Yet here we are - buyer's opinion shoots down independent graders' opinions.  We're back at square 1. 

And to add to that tale of woe, buyer finds something about the case he doesn't like....is that a 1/4" Newton Ring I see????  Piece of cr@p!  Send it back.

It's a miracle any sales go through.

Edited by Lightning55