• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Name for People Who Still Collect DC
7 7

133 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2022 at 10:04 AM, yrag9591 said:

I’ve been a DC guy all my life (although I have had many Marvel and other comics). But I was impressed by someone on Comic Book Historians who said he had never collected by company, and had only been interested in various writers/artists. Sounded sensible to me.

I agree, love my DC but anything Kanigher touched (except SC4 and Batman 181 -did he created her or was it as Infantino has suggested) was dated even in 1960. Schiff was not much better although as a young kid I enjoyed Challengers, I grew out of it when Marvel came along. Both editors books appear to be aimed at a disappearing age demographic. War Comics, Andru WW, Metal Men,Challengers, Sea Devils, Cave Carson, Rip Hunter, Task Force X were books that did not belong along side the huge cultural change hitting the world in around early 60s. Super heroes were a hit so why did Kanigher and Schiff keep turning out adventurers vs monster books ??

Schwartz's books with his creative teams a totally different story. Great late 50s, early 60s, and finally the incredible runs with GL/GA and Batman with O'Neil and Adams - after Lee fired O'Neil. Schwartz engaged with his fans and took the time to always try and find out what was working. That engagement also brought so much talent into the industry. Roy Thomas, Marv Wolfman, Carey Bates, Len Wein etc.

That assessment also seems to be represented on dealer's walls

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 1/27/2022 at 4:48 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I agree, love my DC but anything Kanigher touched (except SC4 and Batman 181 -did he created her or was it as Infantino has suggested) was dated even in 1960. Schiff was not much better although as a young kid I enjoyed Challengers, I grew out of it when Marvel came along. Both editors books appear to be aimed at a disappearing age demographic. War Comics, Andru WW, Metal Men,Challengers, Sea Devils, Cave Carson, Rip Hunter, Task Force X, and let's not forget the Lois Lane back up of Rose & Thorn,  were books that did not belong along side the huge cultural change hitting the world in around early 60s. Super heroes were a hit so why did Kanigher and Schiff keep turning out adventurers vs monster books ??

Schwartz's books with his creative teams a totally different story. Great late 50s, early 60s, and finally the incredible runs with GL/GA and Batman with O'Neil and Adams - after Lee fired O'Neil. Schwartz engaged with his fans and took the time to always try and find out what was working. That engagement also brought so much talent into the industry. Roy Thomas, Marv Wolfman, Carey Bates, Len Wein etc.

That assessment also seems to be represented on dealer's walls

I’m getting the itch to start a run of DC keys. I’ve always been a fan of both the big 2 but 80% of my collection has been Marvel.

Now I’m reading through threads like this and checking out prices for the cool silver age stuff. Unbelievable how much difference there is if you want to put together a run for a character like the flash or green lantern. 

On 1/29/2022 at 12:00 PM, johnenock said:

Cheap relative to Marvel!:cheers:

HaHa well I paid $6,000 for the Show 22 and that’s not including the Sig and Submission fees, so relative to Marvel, if I have to pay much more than that to acquire those “Marvel  Keys,” 🤔 I might need to re-evaluate and or reassess my life. 😆🤣 🍻 🍻

On 1/29/2022 at 11:09 AM, Brett Barrett said:

HaHa well I paid $6,000 for the Show 22 and that’s not including the Sig and Submission fees, so relative to Marvel, if I have to pay much more than that to acquire those “Marvel  Keys,” 🤔 I might need to re-evaluate and or reassess my life. 😆🤣 🍻 🍻

I already have reassessed my life. Only have DC books in my collection.

On 1/29/2022 at 12:15 PM, johnenock said:

I already have reassessed my life. Only have DC books in my collection.

I think you are a Brilliant Man. DC SA Keys are in my opinion the final frontier, the last hoorah in the hobby, as far as unrealized value is concerned. In my honest opinion DC SA Key books are so extremely undervalued it’s Insane. The scarcity far exceeds that of Marvel Keys and sooner or later, whichever comes first the market will catch up with the hobby. Some books I will let go maybe but the Big Guns 💪 I’m keeping in the barrel for a very long time. Long Live DC 🍻🍻😀

Edited by Brett Barrett

On 1/30/2022 at 2:02 AM, Brett Barrett said:

I sold off a lot of my Marvel Heavy Hitters. I reinvested into as may of the DC Silver Age Big Keys as I could get my hands on. I gave up a lot. But I now have probably one of the best Silver Age DC Signature Series Collections in the hobby and I don’t regret a single second of it. My Collection is Unique and I have always loved DC since I was a child. I still have some really Big Marvel Keys, which are easy to obtain if you have the Coin, but with SA DC, it often doesn’t matter  if you have the money or not, locating High Grade SA DC Keys is more than challenging, they’re just not readily available and the CGC Census is an indicator of that. Just saying.

Exactly!