• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Name for People Who Still Collect DC
7 7

133 posts in this topic

On 8/4/2021 at 6:50 PM, profholt82 said:

I think the biggest reason for the disparity is the overall success of Marvel's parent conglomerate compared to DC's. With the exception of their ESPN division, Disney has had a very strong decade while Warner/ATT has floundered comparatively. Had ATT bought Star Wars and started Warner Plus, the shoe could very well have been on the other foot, but Disney has made a lot of strong moves that have paid off. Simply put, they've been kicking butt and taking names, and they've turned the Marvel Cinematic Universe into a juggernaut.

DC's movies have been financially successful for the most part, but they don't have that massive wall of exposure/output that the Disney Marvel franchises do, and I think that's the biggest difference. I'd say it has almost nothing to do with the quality of the DC or Marvel franchises, it's the way that Disney has marketed them. Meaning that if Disney owned DC instead of Marvel and treated the franchises the same way with movies, Disney Plus, merchandising, rides at theme parks, or whatever else, their positions would be flipped right now, and this thread would be about why DC's books are so much hotter than Marvel's.

Of course, that's all just my opinion, and I could be wrong. ;D

what would change if Disney decided to buy DC also??? hm

On 1/31/2022 at 1:20 AM, tth2 said:

If it wasn’t a common story from back in the day, SA and GA books would be worth no more today than Coppers and Moderns.

So the question must be asked, what are kids throwing away today that will have value to them later and will wish they had back? Their old iphones, X-box, shoes? In this digital/virtual world, kids pretty much shun tangible items as they don't want to be bothered or encumbered with them. 

Edited by Jaylam

On 2/2/2022 at 5:15 AM, Jaylam said:

So the question must be asked, what are kids throwing away today that will have value to them later and will wish they had back? Their old iphones, X-box, shoes? In this digital/virtual world, kids pretty much shun tangible items as they don't want to be bothered or encumbered with them. 

Remember those free AOL discs that were everywhere 15 years ago?

On 1/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, jmg3637 said:

When I got into comics  I enjoyed DC much more than marvel  so those were the books I read  in the late 60's

When I got back into reading in the late 80's  those were the characters I was familar with and wanted to see where the stories were going.

As I began to "invest" in comics  I bought many collections  and started building my marvel collection  while also adding many more DC

Shifted my focus after a few less than pleasant internet  deals  and  shifted  to Four Colors via Trade  about 15 years ago

Still very happy  with my silver age DC's  even though the keys in that era are few and far between

I am so enjoying having access to  the images  that Photobucket  was holding hostage and then threatened to  delete if I did not pay something

metalmen1.jpg

metalmen1c2.jpg

metalmen2.jpg

metalmen3.jpg

metalmen4.jpg

metamorpho1.jpg

metamorpho3.jpg

mis41.jpg

mis44.jpg

According to this cover, one of those grappling hooks is going right through my house in VT. LOL! Anyone else?

On 2/1/2022 at 11:07 PM, fett said:

what would change if Disney decided to buy DC also??? hm

I was referring to the Disney media juggernaut compared to that of Warner/ATT. Disney Plus has well over 100 million subscribers while barely being in service over a year at this point. Beyond just having the massive financial and infrastructural resources (which WB/ATT also has), they seem to be smarter with the IPs they purchase and the way they handle and market them.

You'd think that with DirecTV and the cable/fiberoptic installation across the entire country that WB/ATT could do something similar. Heck, just off the top of my head, they've got DC, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Loony Tunes and the Matrix. These are some of the biggest IPs of all time. Disney just utilizes their big IPs better than WB/ATT. The fact that they're not using their massive home installation base is ridiculous. Think of the millions of homes already wired with ATT internet and Cable and DirecTV. Why not include a WB Streaming service and open up the already gigantic movie library and start pumping out new shows? They already have a presence in most homes. 

So, I think that was my main point. Disney produces, markets, pushes, saturates, etc, much better than WB/ATT. And if they had DC, well, there'd be more movies, programs, merchandise and all that. I don't think that would necessarily make the DC brand better per se, but characters beyond the Batman universe would certainly gain more exposure. If WB/ATT were smart, they'd hire away Netflix's CEO or someone with similar vision so that they could better utilize their incredible infrastructure and IPs. The communications entertainment world is cut throat, and WB/ATT is a sleeping giant that's going to waste in my opinion. 

On 1/30/2022 at 10:51 AM, Jaylam said:

My brother related a story about how a certain neighbor invited the kids to come pick out some baseball cards as they were getting ready to burn the ones the kids didn't want. The cards were from the 50's and early 60's. He said after everyone was done, they still had enough cards to fill a 55 gallon drum that were subsequently torched. He said some comic books met the same fate. This was in 1962 or 1963 he said, can you image the value that was lost that day? 

If 90% of the late 50s to mid-late 60s stuff survived, there'd probably be no boards such as this.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:32 PM, frozentundraguy said:
On 2/1/2022 at 8:17 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The quality of the DC movies.. 

Seems like the last really good DC movie was The Dark Knight (2008).

I have loved (or liked a lot) every single movie that came out of Marvel and out of DC

On 2/2/2022 at 12:32 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 2/2/2022 at 12:16 PM, MusterMark said:

I have loved (or liked a lot) every single movie that came out of Marvel and out of DC

WW84? :baiting:

o my goodness, yes of course.

By "every single", I mean "every single" (surprise!)

On 2/2/2022 at 2:34 PM, MusterMark said:

I am by no means hating on DC as they are the ones I like the most( comics) but when it comes to their movies, well they could do a LOT better.. 

On 2/2/2022 at 12:54 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 2/2/2022 at 12:34 PM, MusterMark said:

I am by no means hating on DC as they are the ones I like the most( comics) but when it comes to their movies, well they could do a LOT better.. 

I have of course heard that sentiment many times, but I have to say, I have personally never understood it.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:36 AM, MAR1979 said:
On 2/2/2022 at 8:23 PM, shadroch said:

Remember those free AOL discs that were everywhere 15 years ago?

more like 20 , 15 years ago was 2007 :) Time does fly...

More like 25 years ago.  By 2000, AOL was pretty much dead already.

I think DC movie properties have their ups and downs but they’re certainly not all bad. I agree WW84 was terrible but the first one was good, as was the likes of MOS and BvS. 

Nothing wrong with trying to be different to the Marvel formula but with the WB execs seemingly changing their minds all the time, it’s never given them a chance to build on something.

I’m quite happy for the DC keys to remain affordable but at some point you’ve got to believe that collectors will turn to them more as they are still historic in their own sense.