• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad week in terms of comic collecting
4 4

126 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2021 at 1:28 AM, BlackTerror98 said:

First off, I traded this guy some books late silver age and bronze age mid-high grade books ($9k worth) for about $9k MAYBE $12k if they got graded at CGC so I thought to myself why not get the best books pressed first.

So

I got 3 books that needed a little love and 2 of them came back with damage, Marvel Spotlight #32 came back with the bottom left corner completely blown out, Marvel Special edition #15 came back with a tear at the header of Marvel Comics. The guy that did the pressing ended up giving the books to the owner of the LCS without telling me or him about the damage. The owner of the store once I realized the damage saw I was getting heated and pissed and the owner had the balls to say to me that I should NOT tell the presser guy because he would never come back (presses the owners books for free) and if I told him how I felt that he would never come back to the store. So I snapped at the owner for being uncaring or unmoved with the books that were damaged. Then I go home and I realize I lost about $3k due to the damage of the books and what the grades were before the press. They had non color breaking spine creases.

So basically I went down from Marvel Spotlight #32 (before a press 9.4) and I was hoping for a 9.6 with the press but now am lucky if it comes back a 7.0/7.5 , the Marvel Special edition #15...went from a 9.4 EASILY to a 7.5/8.0 with the same tear at the top of the book maybe 3 Centimeters.... So I lost money... a lot of potential money....

First of all, ignore the owner.  He doesn't care about your books.  Reach out to the presser yourself and talk to him.  

On 8/5/2021 at 9:02 AM, Funnybooks said:

How do you even get a tear like that with a press? I'm no physics major but it seems so improbable. Was the book also cleaned prior to press?

I can see the corner splitting more easily than I can see that tear? 

Idk the book does look cleaner but there's some really really fine light black dirt marks, all I know is the book was NOT DAMAGED before I gave him the books, then once I saw the books after he had them they were damaged.

Edited by BlackTerror98

On 8/5/2021 at 9:13 AM, BlackTerror98 said:

Idk the book does look cleaner but there's some really really fine light black dirt marks, all I know is the book was NOT DAMAGED before I gave him the books, then once I saw the books after he had them they were damaged.

Go show him who's boss

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I was actually going to post the same thing that Buzzetta just beat me to. Go over them carefully and confirm that they are your books, and that they didn't pull the switcheroo on you. I can't tell enough from your pics, but I will say that the white landing strip on the Spider Woman book looks a bit different down near the barcode between the two pics.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:20 PM, kav said:

I also am leaning towards a sneaky book swap.  By the LCS owner.  He's already shown he's selfish and greedy.

and just saying

Maybe the Presser would be able to determine that he didn't do that damage, hence the "don't mention it to the presser!"

All speculation, perhaps, at the moment, but definitely worth finding out :wishluck: