• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC just no longer do Grader Notes anymore
5 5

37 posts in this topic

I have noticed in my last few submissions that I am not receiving any grader notes.  I know they don't necessarily do them for all 9.6's but I would expect them for everything below that.  We are paying for a grading service and part of that service is informing us what factors were used to determine the grade. 

On 8/9/2021 at 9:31 AM, J RANDALL said:

I have noticed in my last few submissions that I am not receiving any grader notes.  I know they don't necessarily do them for all 9.6's but I would expect them for everything below that.  We are paying for a grading service and part of that service is informing us what factors were used to determine the grade. 

It is at their discretion, as you said, but I don't know anywhere that it was part of the process or a guarantee or even something that we are technically "paying for." Unless the notes are from your own sub, they are a separate fee for everyone else.

I get the gripe, it's been mentioned before, and we all enjoy them but not much that we can do about it :( 

But to answer your question, yes cgc still does graders notes  (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Yes, they are still doing notes.  I just got a 25 book submission back where almost half had notes (unfortunately).

The grader notes are meant to be from grader 1 to grader 2, or grader 2 can add some if there are none.  Many times there are no notes.  I have had 8.0 comics come back with no notes. 

A comic could have a major subscription crease right down the middle, but grader 1 might not even note it because it will be very obvious to grader 2, can't miss it.  Whereas a very light stain on the back cover might be noted, to call it to the attention of the following grader who could possibly miss it.

It's an internal thing, not meant for public use.  They are provided to the original submitter at no charge if there are notes made.  As @ADAMANTIUMsays, you can purchase them if available on other submitter's books. 

For high value books you are considering buying, getting the grading notes prior to purchase could be a good investment.

I forgot to mention that you are paying for an opinion of grade, an assigned grade.  It's not like a written appraisal that you would get for your house. 

The grading fee includes prep work and entering the comic into the CGC system, assigning a registration number, an examination by at least 2 graders, sealing in an inner capsule, adding an issue-specific identifying label, and welding into a tamper-evident case.  To ask for a written "report" might be over-reaching, but I am sure they could create a separate fee for a "written evaluation" or "appraisal".

On 8/9/2021 at 10:08 AM, Timely said:

TO EVERYONE...  What's the lowest grade book you have with no graders notes?

I don’t have graders notes for books under $5k. That said, I don’t have many books

not many sellers have them, I’ve noticed

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

I’m a bit surprised at the responses defending the widespread lack of graders notes. I personally think a sentence or two should be mandatory for every book under 9.8.  Especially with the influx of people making their first submissions and the inevitable disappointment of receiving a much lower grade than they likely anticipated. 

just recently I received a 25 book prescreen submission. 5 were rejected and I received notes on 4 of them. I appreciated it so much, all of us can get better at identifying hard to spot defects. It occurred to me that the reason I may have been given these notes was because of implied expectation that a 9.8 prescreen has that I believe all of these books are 9.8 worthy.  All books should be treated as such IMO, assume the owner of the book believes the book is perfect and explain to them in a couple of short sentences why it isn’t. If for nothing else than the customer service. I was left very happy being told why these books came up short and that some had very fixable defects and others did not. 

Edited by Dimez

On its way back to me now is a box of Moderns. Three of the books got 9.6s; none have grader's notes. The only book in the lot with notes is a 9.0 that has "very light creasing to cover" that I... guess I missed? Luckily, not an important book, but I'll get to try a round of everyone's favorite party game once it arrives: Spot That Crease!

On 8/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, Dimez said:

I’m a bit surprised at the responses defending the widespread lack of graders notes

Me too. I’m not defending it. I think we should know what defects were considered when arriving at the final grade. How else are we to know what defects were present at the time of grading and what came after thru shaken comic syndrome? How else are we to know what is considered to be a manufacturing defect and what isn’t? I would be willing to pay more for that service